"retina" display

Old March 17th 12, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Default "retina" display

Samsung seem to have done a great job producing the new iPad screen.
Now, please hurry along Samsung - scale this up to a reasonable size, so
it's useful for photo viewing and editing.
Throw in wacom emr type stylus while you're at it, and in a form factor
which allows it to be used on a desktop, and I'll be very happy.
Old March 17th 12, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Me" wrote in message
Samsung seem to have done a great job producing the new iPad screen.
Now, please hurry along Samsung - scale this up to a reasonable size, so
it's useful for photo viewing and editing.
Throw in wacom emr type stylus while you're at it, and in a form factor
which allows it to be used on a desktop, and I'll be very happy.

Would it be any better than a generic LCD? I have a 24" Dell that's real
nice. Wouldn't one have to be much closer to the screen than one uses a 24"
screen from to see the differences? As it is, I web surf at 125% zoom.

"Samsung" you say, hehe. Interesting that the whole "Apple builds its
products on Chinese child and slave labor" meme is BS. (I think the metal
iPhone case is actually made in Japan.)

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 17th 12, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , David J.
Littleboy wrote:

Samsung seem to have done a great job producing the new iPad screen.
Now, please hurry along Samsung - scale this up to a reasonable size, so
it's useful for photo viewing and editing.
Throw in wacom emr type stylus while you're at it, and in a form factor
which allows it to be used on a desktop, and I'll be very happy.

Would it be any better than a generic LCD? I have a 24" Dell that's real
nice. Wouldn't one have to be much closer to the screen than one uses a 24"
screen from to see the differences? As it is, I web surf at 125% zoom.

it's 264 ppi, with 2048x1536 pixels in a 9.7" display. that's a little
less than the iphone 4 but an ipad will typically be used further away
than a phone. you can't see individual pixels.
Old March 17th 12, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 17/03/2012 3:25 p.m., nospam wrote:
In articleDZKdnZVyYZvJaf7SnZ2dnVY3goSdnZ2d@giganews. com, David J.
wrote:

Samsung seem to have done a great job producing the new iPad screen.
Now, please hurry along Samsung - scale this up to a reasonable size, so
it's useful for photo viewing and editing.
Throw in wacom emr type stylus while you're at it, and in a form factor
which allows it to be used on a desktop, and I'll be very happy.

Would it be any better than a generic LCD? I have a 24" Dell that's real
nice. Wouldn't one have to be much closer to the screen than one uses a 24"
screen from to see the differences? As it is, I web surf at 125% zoom.

it's 264 ppi, with 2048x1536 pixels in a 9.7" display. that's a little
less than the iphone 4 but an ipad will typically be used further away
than a phone. you can't see individual pixels.

I guess it's hard to print TFT displays with that very high density, and
get everything registered correctly. Next problem would be graphic
cards and connectivity.
TBH, I'd be more than happy with a display the quality of the "old"
iPad, scaled up to 20" or a bit more diagonal. I find that 22-24 inch
screens on a desktop are ideal size. I'm using a 40" screen right now,
and it's too big.
Old March 17th 12, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-03-16 22:04 , Me wrote:
Samsung seem to have done a great job producing the new iPad screen.
Now, please hurry along Samsung - scale this up to a reasonable size, so
it's useful for photo viewing and editing.

At a normal viewing distance (~20"), the pixels on my screen at about 94
dpi are hardly discernible in text and graphics. In most photos not
discernible at all.

(24", 1920x1200).

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old March 17th 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

"RichA" wrote in message
[]
The iPad case is built in China and the factories that do it have been
investigated for aluminum dust explosions that have occurred and
particulate contamination of worker's lungs.

... and at least one of the reports about Apple factories has been
withdrawn after it was found to contain falsified evidence.

David

Old March 17th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Elliott Roper

In article , Alan Browne

On 2012-03-16 22:04 , Me wrote:
Samsung seem to have done a great job producing the new iPad screen.
Now, please hurry along Samsung - scale this up to a reasonable size, so
it's useful for photo viewing and editing.

At a normal viewing distance (~20"), the pixels on my screen at about 94
dpi are hardly discernible in text and graphics. In most photos not
discernible at all.

(24", 1920x1200).

Don't knock it till you try it. My newish MacBook Air at about 130 ppi
make my 96ppi 20" screens look like lego blocks. The new iPad arrived
yesterday. It makes the Air's screen look about 15 years old and
running Windows NT.

I don't think I have ever seen print on paper look as good at any
viewing distance. The iPad is stunning. Perhaps I could wish for
5616*3744 at the same pixel density for pixel-peeping a 5Dii image?
That would make a rather tasty 27" screen would it not?

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Old March 17th 12, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-03-17 14:37 , Elliott Roper wrote:
In article2ZSdnSJxL8lbD_nSnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d@giganews. com, Alan Browne

On 2012-03-16 22:04 , Me wrote:
Samsung seem to have done a great job producing the new iPad screen.
Now, please hurry along Samsung - scale this up to a reasonable size, so
it's useful for photo viewing and editing.

At a normal viewing distance (~20"), the pixels on my screen at about 94
dpi are hardly discernible in text and graphics. In most photos not
discernible at all.

(24", 1920x1200).

Don't knock it till you try it. My newish MacBook Air at about 130 ppi
make my 96ppi 20" screens look like lego blocks.

I'm not knocking it, just don't believe it's of that much value for
working on my computer. I have a MBA too and I can't stand it much as
the screen is so small that it makes doing any amount of serious work
tedious.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old March 18th 12, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

"David J Taylor" wrote in
:

"RichA" wrote in message

@i2g2000vbv.googlegroups.com...
[]
The iPad case is built in China and the factories that do it have been
investigated for aluminum dust explosions that have occurred and
particulate contamination of worker's lungs.

.. and at least one of the reports about Apple factories has been
withdrawn after it was found to contain falsified evidence.

David

Couldn't find any reference to that. How do you falsify an explosion?

Old March 18th 12, 05:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Rich" wrote in message
[]
Couldn't find any reference to that. How do you falsify an explosion?

See:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...npr-retraction

It's about workers. Some "evidence" was fabiracted.

David