Nikon D800 or D800e - which one to choose?

Old March 19th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Nikon D800 or D800e - which one to choose?

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 01:30:34 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote:

It's a valid point for constructing tests. It's not a valid point for
saying "there's no problem because the D7000 has no problem". First,
there's the focal length issue, you choose differently for DX from FX.
But, second, and dominating--the D7000 has an AA filter.

If you have a D70 lying around, the Nyquist frequency is 2000/(15.5 x 2) =
64 lp/mm. Since the D800E's Nyquist frequency is 100 lp/mm, that means that
Moiré with the D800E at f/8 will be somewhat worse than with the D70 at
f/12.5. If you find nasty Moiré on the D70 at a given f stop, you'll see
worse Moiré on the D800E at that f number divided by 1.56.

Go try it. I suspect that you will not be amused.

I've sold my D70 and the D800E has yet to arrive in my neck of the
woods. :-)

It's not just a question of which one produces the worse Moire. The
point is that Moire is an interference pattern. It is the result of
interference between whatever regular pattern there is in the object
and the pattern of the cells in the sensor. The D800E sensor has more
cells that are more closely packed than those in the D70. For that
reason, in the same circumstances, the Moire produced by the D800E
will be different from that of the D70. Whether it is better or worse
depends on the circumstances and the eye of the beholder.

Hypothetically it is even possible that one camera will produce Moire
while the other does not (and I'm not referring to the Nyquist limit)
but this is unlikely in any real world situation.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old March 20th 12, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Me

On 20/03/2012 6:12 p.m., Bryan wrote:

Trolls? Seriously? The manufacturers and engineers design and build
most DSLR's with A.A. filters, and the customers, the photographers,
tend to buy them that way.

And they're all idiots!
(apparently - by reading some of the comments in this thread - that's
what some people truly believe)

Anyway, I've now looked at D800 raw files from Imaging Resource. If you
open them in Nikon ViewNX, apply sharpening (level 2 out of 10), they're
as good (detail capture) as the Pentax 645d raw images on that site.
Now that's not to say that the Pentax 645d images couldn't also be
improved by using a better optimised raw converter (than ACR), but
nevertheless, the D800 (not E) has stunning image quality, visibly
better than any other 35mm format dslr ever made, and even when using a
lowly (in some people's opinion) Sigma brand lens.

Old March 22nd 12, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Bryan wrote:

Mostly I think that as sensor resolution increases, the presence or
absence of an AA filter makes less difference. Sensors will eventually
out-resolve lenses generally, making the filter both mostly useless
and mostly harmless.

But that's gonna be several hundreds of megapixels at least
to guarantee it everywhere.
And that's not gonna worth it in terms of storage and computing
power, when it's not offering any better results, not even ---
especially not --- for the pixel peepers.

-Wolfgang