$75,000 lens?? 40mm f0.33

Old March 14th 12, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

Default $75,000 lens?? 40mm f0.33

RichA writes:

Not that that is expensive. Some lenses used in the creation of
semiconductors cost $4M each. But this is a fast camera lens. Kind
of impressed they could get the focus so far from the back of the
lens. No idea what it cost new.

http://dunun.tumblr.com/post/1843472...ar-40-mm-f0-33

You know the history of this, right? Zeiss built it as a response to
people shaming them for making such slow lenses. The unspoken message
is "anybody can build a fast lens -- if you don't care about image
quality". It's a *joke*.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old March 15th 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Fischer

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
RichA writes:

Not that that is expensive. Some lenses used in the creation of
semiconductors cost $4M each. But this is a fast camera lens. Kind
of impressed they could get the focus so far from the back of the
lens. No idea what it cost new.

http://dunun.tumblr.com/post/1843472...ar-40-mm-f0-33

You know the history of this, right? Zeiss built it as a response to
people shaming them for making such slow lenses. The unspoken message
is "anybody can build a fast lens -- if you don't care about image
quality". It's a *joke*.

Canon sells lenses for broadcast TV. They're typically around f2 with a
27x zoom range. Of course, they only need to be sharp enough for broadcast
TV, which is about two megapixels max.

--
Ray Fischer | None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

Old March 15th 12, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

(Ray Fischer) writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
RichA writes:

Not that that is expensive. Some lenses used in the creation of
semiconductors cost $4M each. But this is a fast camera lens. Kind
of impressed they could get the focus so far from the back of the
lens. No idea what it cost new.

http://dunun.tumblr.com/post/1843472...ar-40-mm-f0-33

You know the history of this, right? Zeiss built it as a response to
people shaming them for making such slow lenses. The unspoken message
is "anybody can build a fast lens -- if you don't care about image
quality". It's a *joke*.

Canon sells lenses for broadcast TV. They're typically around f2 with a
27x zoom range. Of course, they only need to be sharp enough for broadcast
TV, which is about two megapixels max.

Not sure I see the connection to the Gigantar.

Even Zeiss makes lenses for film and video. We used a Zeiss 10-100/1.8
(for 16mm) on a feature project I worked on (no-budget feature, I was a
volunteer; I'm not a pro). I was told that it retailed for $25,000,
though.