Used Sony Cybershot a good camera for me?

Old October 19th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Used Sony Cybershot a good camera for me?

Know NOTHING abt cameras but want to buy something.

Here are my requirements:

1. Must have a long zoom...... 12x or more

2. Megapixels not a big deal with me.....don't need a
baziliion of them.

3. fast response time

4. decent battery life

and I need a USED camera as I am college student and
need to keep cost down..... around $200 or less

It would be nice if it was light and compact too.....
for taking on bicycle tours and hiking..... but the
zoom is the most important..... and I know a camera is
about compromises.

I have been looking at this

http://www.porterelectronics.com/ser...-dsh-H5/Detail

What say you guys?
Old October 19th 10, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Irwell wrote:

That is an excellent camera, if you can do without
the GPS feature then the H55 is the same camera for
less.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-sho...453368&sr=8-11

OK thanks

I could even go with an H1 or H2 Sony I think

what abt those two "older" models?
Old October 19th 10, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

Know NOTHING abt cameras but want to buy something.

Here are my requirements:

1. Must have a long zoom...... 12x or more

2. Megapixels not a big deal with me.....don't need a
baziliion of them.

3. fast response time

4. decent battery life

and I need a USED camera as I am college student and
need to keep cost down..... around $200 or less

It would be nice if it was light and compact too.....
for taking on bicycle tours and hiking..... but the
zoom is the most important..... and I know a camera is
about compromises.

I have been looking at this

http://www.porterelectronics.com/ser...-dsh-H5/Detail

What say you guys?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh5/page4.asp has measured timings
for that model--elsewhere in the same review I believe you'll find some
discussion of battery life. Only you can tell whether the numbers it
provides are adequate for your purpose.

However when you say "12x zoom" are you looking for a specific
magnification, because if so that is not what "12x zoom" means--12x zoom
means that the longest focal length divided by the shortest gives you
the number 12.

Old October 19th 10, 10:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 10/19/2010 10:15 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

On 10/19/2010 01:33 AM,
wrote:
Know NOTHING abt cameras but want to buy something.

Here are my requirements:

1. Must have a long zoom...... 12x or more

2. Megapixels not a big deal with me.....don't need a
baziliion of them.

3. fast response time

4. decent battery life

and I need a USED camera as I am college student and
need to keep cost down..... around $200 or less

It would be nice if it was light and compact too.....
for taking on bicycle tours and hiking..... but the
zoom is the most important..... and I know a camera is
about compromises.

I have been looking at this

http://www.porterelectronics.com/ser...-dsh-H5/Detail

What say you guys?

Zoom isn't important. Zoom and pixels are important. Zooming 2x or
having 4x times the pixels is equivalent in terms of details you get on
a subject far away (pixels/inch of subject).

Except that you need a lens with 4x the resolution for that to work.

No, 2x :-) And can we expect the serious manufacturers to fit lenses
good enough for the sensor anyway?

--
Bertrand
Old October 19th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:33:52 -0500, me wrote:

Know NOTHING abt cameras but want to buy something.

Here are my requirements:

1. Must have a long zoom...... 12x or more

2. Megapixels not a big deal with me.....don't need a baziliion of them.

3. fast response time

4. decent battery life

and I need a USED camera as I am college student and need to keep cost
down..... around $200 or less

That's not quite true. You don't have to have a used camera to contain
costs. Several manufacturers sell refurbished units on their online
stores for significantly less than new.

It would be nice if it was light and compact too..... for taking on
bicycle tours and hiking..... but the zoom is the most important.....
and I know a camera is about compromises.

I have been looking at this

http://www.porterelectronics.com/ser...ERA-CYBERSHOT-

DIGITAL-DSC-dsh-H5/Detail

What say you guys?

Old October 19th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

ray wrote:

That's not quite true. You don't have to have a used camera to contain
costs. Several manufacturers sell refurbished units on their online
stores for significantly less than new.

I've looked at refurbished but never see what I "want"
or "need"