Hardware Worship Religion

Old December 28th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Hardware Worship Religion

Time and time again I see post after post of someone arguing
that this or that camera - lens etc. is so much better than all the
others because of some specific technical difference.

That is all well and good, but how many consider that the
difference is usually meaningless to most users. Further they seldom
bother checking to see if there is any meaningful differences in real
world results. Meaningful means a difference that would be noticed in
the final intended use.

It seems to me it is only the final product that is important.
Old December 28th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:31:04 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote in
:

wrote:
Time and time again I see post after post of someone arguing
that this or that camera - lens etc. is so much better than all the
others because of some specific technical difference.

That is all well and good, but how many consider that the
difference is usually meaningless to most users. Further they seldom
bother checking to see if there is any meaningful differences in real
world results. Meaningful means a difference that would be noticed in
the final intended use.

It seems to me it is only the final product that is important.

So no-one is allowed to take a technical interest to increase their
understanding and discuss it here? Look at the threads where I've
commented about the relevancy or otherwise if viewing images at 1:1 on the
screen.

You obviously wouldn't approve of people whose interest in vintage cards,
because the cars aren't used for journeys!

Room for both, don't you think?

The great majority of the hardware postings here are of little or no
real value, just lobbing of claims back and forth by various advocacy
groups, much like adolescents arguing on a playground.

--
Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
John
Old December 28th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:24:47 +0000, Chris H wrote
in :

In message ,
writes

That is all well and good, but how many consider that the
difference is usually meaningless to most users. Further they seldom
bother checking to see if there is any meaningful differences in real
world results. Meaningful means a difference that would be noticed in
the final intended use.

That's torn it... you have brought reality in to it!

You have to remember that there are people where who seem to have a far
higher colour and resolution perception than mere mortals.......

ROTFL!

Old December 28th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RustY ©

wrote in message
.......... meaningless to most users.

Too True.......

Old December 28th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Smithee[_2_]

wrote in message

Time and time again I see post after post of someone arguing
that this or that camera - lens etc. is so much better than all the
others because of some specific technical difference.

That is all well and good, but how many consider that the
difference is usually meaningless to most users. Further they seldom
bother checking to see if there is any meaningful differences in real
world results. Meaningful means a difference that would be noticed in
the final intended use.

It seems to me it is only the final product that is important.

I think that it's inevitable that people will research items before choosing
an item to buy, whether it be a camera, a TV or a car. Some people are
happy to just go into a shop and let the person behind the counter advise
them, others want to choose themselves and find researching part of the
decision making, hence sparking a debate. Afterall, camera equipment costs
money, so it pays to know what's around and what the pro's/con's are.

Photography is also quite a widely spread hobby and for quite a few, part of
the hobby it talking about it, whether it be camera equipment or anything
else to do with photography. It doesn't cost anything to talk about it and
you learn at the same time. If hardware isn't something that is of any
interest, it's easy to ignore the thread.

I quite often hear people refer to a camera as just a tool, but for quite a
lot of people (myself included) it's also a toy. The same people who refer
to a camera as a tool will also say that you don't hear trades people
discussing their tools, well this is incorrect. Mechanics talk about tools,
whether it be Snap-on, Mac, etc. Farmers talk about tractors, etc. I have
even heard hairdressers talking about brands of precision engineered
Japanese scissors.

Another common phrase I have heard is that "it's not the camera, it's the
photographer". Well, this is true, however that said I don't see these
people using pinhole cameras, so go figure. Features do play a part in
helping the photographer get the photo and just because you are an amateur,
it doesn't mean features offered on higher end bodies such as the ability to
be able to take low noise photos of your dog/cat/kid in low light without a
flash for example, or a decent autofocus/metering system are of no use to
you. If anything, the camera used by amateurs can be more important,
because it allows them to get shots they may not otherwise get. I remember
a quote from a movie that said something along the lines of the first weapon
a rookie assasin learns is the rifle. The closer they get to being a pro,
the closer they can get to the subject. The knife, for example, is the last
thing they master.

So, whether it's a discussion on Nikon v Canon, PC v Mac, HD v Blueray,
Stainless Steel frying pan v Cast Iron frying pan, there is always going to
be pro's and cons and therefore there is always going to be a debate.

The part I can't understand though (and the part I think you were referring
to) is why some people get so defensive over certain brands. Mind you, I
don't think there are many hardcore fanboys in here, just one hardcore P&S
fan.

Old December 28th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:25:01 -0000, "Alan Smithee"
wrote in :

The part I can't understand though (and the part I think you were referring
to) is why some people get so defensive over certain brands. Mind you, I
don't think there are many hardcore fanboys in here, just one hardcore P&S
fan.

Thus displaying your own bias.