Are lithium AA 1.5V or 1.7V?

Old November 18th 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
james

Default Are lithium AA 1.5V or 1.7V?

Has anyone tried lithium AA batteries in digital camera?

I have one set of lithium AA that measures 1.7V. I also see lithium AA
advertised as 1.5V but I read somewhere that lithium battery is always 1.7V.
So I'm confused.

So are some lithium 1.5V, some 1.7V? I would be hesitant to put 1.7V
batteries in the camera; they may damage the camera.

Old November 18th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 11/18/2010 2:40 PM, james wrote:
Has anyone tried lithium AA batteries in digital camera?

I have one set of lithium AA that measures 1.7V. I also see lithium AA
advertised as 1.5V but I read somewhere that lithium battery is always
1.7V. So I'm confused.

So are some lithium 1.5V, some 1.7V? I would be hesitant to put 1.7V
batteries in the camera; they may damage the camera.

1.7V. The camera will operate from a wide range of voltages. Zn/MnO2
batteries are 1.5V, NiMH are 1.2V, and lithium are 1.7V. They all work.
the circuitry in the camera includes a voltage regulator.
Old November 18th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 11/18/2010 3:02 PM, SMS wrote:
On 11/18/2010 2:40 PM, james wrote:
Has anyone tried lithium AA batteries in digital camera?

I have one set of lithium AA that measures 1.7V. I also see lithium AA
advertised as 1.5V but I read somewhere that lithium battery is always
1.7V. So I'm confused.

So are some lithium 1.5V, some 1.7V? I would be hesitant to put 1.7V
batteries in the camera; they may damage the camera.

1.7V. The camera will operate from a wide range of voltages. Zn/MnO2
batteries are 1.5V, NiMH are 1.2V, and lithium are 1.7V. They all work.
the circuitry in the camera includes a voltage regulator.

Forgot to say, except in cameras that allow you to tell the camera which
type of batteries you put in, battery-life indicators not be all that
accurate on AA powered cameras.

If it's a Canon camera and it supports CHDK, then you can get a more
accurate battery level indicator.

I.e. I have two Canon A570 cameras (AA powered). Normally you don't get
much warning between the indication to change the batteries and the
camera no longer working. CHDK solves this problem. IMVAIO, CHDK can be
a deciding factor between choosing a Canon camera versus a competing
camera from another manufacturer. I'm a bit biased here because I helped
write a lot of the CHDK documentation.
Old November 19th 10, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 15:02:04 -0800, SMS
wrote:

On 11/18/2010 2:40 PM, james wrote:
Has anyone tried lithium AA batteries in digital camera?

I have one set of lithium AA that measures 1.7V. I also see lithium AA
advertised as 1.5V but I read somewhere that lithium battery is always
1.7V. So I'm confused.

So are some lithium 1.5V, some 1.7V? I would be hesitant to put 1.7V
batteries in the camera; they may damage the camera.

1.7V. The camera will operate from a wide range of voltages. Zn/MnO2
batteries are 1.5V, NiMH are 1.2V, and lithium are 1.7V. They all work.
the circuitry in the camera includes a voltage regulator.

Not all AA cameras recommend lithium battery use. Read your specific
manual.
Old November 19th 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 15:08:22 -0800, SMS wrote:

I'm a bit biased here because I helped
write a lot of the CHDK documentation.

That's a ****ing lie. You only heard that it has a battery meter in it, you
don't even own a camera that uses it, and that's as close as you've ever
come to anything associated with CHDK. You've never written even one word
of the documentation, as clearly proved in the CHDK Wiki history pages.
People have asked you questions about it for years, and you've either been
1) DEAD WRONG, proving you've never used it, or 2) perfectly silent,
pretending you didn't even see the questions so as to expose yourself for
the piece-of-**** liar and psychotic that you are.

Old November 19th 10, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

In article om,
"james" wrote:

Has anyone tried lithium AA batteries in digital camera?

I have one set of lithium AA that measures 1.7V. I also see lithium AA
advertised as 1.5V but I read somewhere that lithium battery is always 1.7V.
So I'm confused.

So are some lithium 1.5V, some 1.7V? I would be hesitant to put 1.7V
batteries in the camera; they may damage the camera.

Alkaline batteries vary greatly in voltage over time. Battery operated
devices usually tolerate 1.0 to 1.7V.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/alkaline_appman.pdf
--
I will not see posts or email from Google because I must filter them as spam
Old November 19th 10, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bobwilliams

james wrote:
Has anyone tried lithium AA batteries in digital camera?

I have one set of lithium AA that measures 1.7V. I also see lithium AA
advertised as 1.5V but I read somewhere that lithium battery is always
1.7V. So I'm confused.

So are some lithium 1.5V, some 1.7V? I would be hesitant to put 1.7V
batteries in the camera; they may damage the camera.

I have a little 5 year old Pentax P/S that accepts Lithium batteries and
the combo works great...lots of shooting time.
I have another Panasonic Lumix P/S and they say explicitly NOT to use
lithium batteries.
So my guess is that use of Lithium batteries is camera specific.
The manual should say if is OK or not.
Bob Williams
Old November 19th 10, 10:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 11/19/2010 2:15 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Nov 18, 10:40 pm, wrote:
Has anyone tried lithium AA batteries in digital camera?

I have one set of lithium AA that measures 1.7V. I also see lithium AA
advertised as 1.5V but I read somewhere that lithium battery is always 1.7V.
So I'm confused.

So are some lithium 1.5V, some 1.7V? I would be hesitant to put 1.7V
batteries in the camera; they may damage the camera.

There are different types of lithium battery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery.
The problem with putting in a slightly higher voltage battery can be
the extra current that can be 'pulled'
Some products recommend not using batteries other than those stated.
I have an old canon motor drive which is for Alkaline 1.5 AA only.
There's a warning about not using NiCd, which are only 1.2v but I
assume the drive circuitry
uses the internal resistance of a alkaline AA to limit the current,
where as a 1.2 niCd will
a much lower resistance allowing more current to flow and blowing the
drive motor.

Wow, using the battery as a current limiter is a really bad idea. They
could have put in a current limiting resistor at a trivial cos.
Old November 19th 10, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 11/19/2010 2:14 AM, bobwilliams wrote:

I have a little 5 year old Pentax P/S that accepts Lithium batteries and
the combo works great...lots of shooting time.
I have another Panasonic Lumix P/S and they say explicitly NOT to use
lithium batteries.
So my guess is that use of Lithium batteries is camera specific.
The manual should say if is OK or not.
Bob Williams

Yeah, I've seen a few products advice against the use of lithium cells.
Pretty weak design if the product a) can't work from 1.0 to 1.7V per
cell, or b) doesn't have current limiting circuitry that allows the use
of batteries with low internal resistance.

Of course, to digress, there are many reasons why you're better off with
proprietary Li-Ion packs than AA batteries in the first place.

Google "nimh vs lithium ion" and it's the first result.

All of my AA powered cameras are Canon now, and all have CHDK installed,
and the battery level indicator is a big help. Doesn't solve the
inherent problems with AA cells, but at least it helps you work around
them. But my promotion of CHDK is also related to the fact that I helped
a lot with the project's docs, so I'm a bit biased here.
Old November 19th 10, 11:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On Nov 18, 10:40 pm, wrote:
Has anyone tried lithium AA batteries in digital camera?

I have one set of lithium AA that measures 1.7V. I also see lithium AA
advertised as 1.5V but I read somewhere that lithium battery is always 1.7V.
So I'm confused.

So are some lithium 1.5V, some 1.7V? I would be hesitant to put 1.7V
batteries in the camera; they may damage the camera.

There are different types of lithium battery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery.
The problem with putting in a slightly higher voltage battery can be
the extra current that can be 'pulled'

Actually this is wrong.

The reason extra current can be 'pulled' is because of the internal
resistance of the battery, not because of the voltage. Far more current
can be 'pulled' from a 1.2V NiMH cell than a 1.5V alkaline cell. Also,
for many devices, as the voltage goes up the current goes down because
they're using an internal switching voltage regulator that can accept a
wide range of voltages.

Of course much of what's on Wikipedia is wrong, so this isn't
surprising. No wonder it's an automatic F on research papers in high
school or college if you cite Wikipedia as a reference.