Opinions on P&S

Old December 29th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default Opinions on P&S

ray wrote:

OK dimwit - I fully acknowledge that a canon camera can be interfaced to a
Linux computer.

Which means that your original rant was flat-out wrong, and mislead
the OP.

A canon scanner usually can't - and neither can a canon
printer - until they remedy the situation, I'll continue to avoid them.

And Porsche gets boycotted because they don't build motorcycles ...
right?

BTW - one recent survey conducted online found that Linux users
outnumbered MAC and vista users - combined.

That would mean that Linux is currently at over 15% of all Users (one
in every six), or else that survey is either wrong, or someone
misinterpreted it. For example, my firewall/router runs Linux, but
that doesn't suffice to make it a "PC" worthy of being counted. Ditto
for a lot of NAS's and other Linux-embedded devices that also aren't
considered to be a PC.

-hh
Old December 30th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 13:39:45 -0800 (PST), -hh
wrote in
:

John Navas wrote:

Several of those were actually *reasons*, not rants.

Only in your opinion...

All posts here are just opinion.

Past behavior is a good guide to future behavior.

And by your own criteria of "past behavior",

They made a mistake, but they've now not repeated that mistake for the
past 20 years.

It was a deliberate decision, and there's no evidence that Canon
considers it a mistake.

Thus ***** by your own criteria of "past behavior" ***** you're
obligated to use that information as your guide to conclude that their
future behavior is to be continued to be good.

Not true.

Or you can try to immediately deny what you just claimed, which makes
you a hypocrite.

Sorry, but you don't make the rules.

Name your poison, Mr. Navas, for it doesn't matter to me: either way,
you've lost.

Yet another meaningless opinion.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old December 30th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Jimington wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 04:51:13 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Jimington wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:27:13 -0700, ray wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:34:02 +0000, Matt Ion wrote:

So the wife wants a nice little compact P&S... she's pretty much
narrowed her choices down to the Canon SD1000 or the Sony DSCT70. Both
are similar specs (7.1MP), similar price.

Plus for the Canon: uses SD memory, of which I already have several
cards. Plus for the Sony: she likes the look and the fact she can get
it in pink to match her RAZR phone rolls eyes.

Minus to both: proprietary rechargeable batteries, which seems to be
pretty much the only option to anything in this thin form-factor.

I know it's probably crazy asking in here, but I'm gonna solicit
opinions on one or the other of these two. I'll be sitting over in the
corner in my rose-colored shades and asbestos undies....
My choice would be for something else since I eschew all things Canon and
won't buy anything that uses proprietary cards.
Is it fair for me to ask why you avoid Canon?
I don't own a Canon but often wonder why not. They seem to be good all
rounders but perhaps it comes down to bangs per buck?
I too don't like proprietary cards but did splash out for a new CF
card when i bought a Mr Fuji camera a few months back.

Jim.
http://inghamwebcam.com/
My dull website.

CF cards aren't proprietary, which I am sure you know, but your phrasing
seems to imply that.
I suspect that the poster's distaste for Canon is the result of an
unfortunate past experience as most of the posters here consider them
excellent hardware, with good performance, and features.

Yeah i never did have a gift for the right words. I already had a few
SD cards but had to buy a CF card as well as a XD card for my current
camera. Better to own one that just takes the common SD but CFs are
also fairly cheap. Other card types are a negative that should be
considered before purchase.
I don't think the battery type is much of an issue anymore unless
they're a proprietary type like Sony seem to prefer. They must love
the captive market they create.
Most lithium ion type batteries can be bought quite cheaply now and
i'll be seriously considering changing to them on whatever camera i
buy next.

Jim.
http://inghamwebcam.com/
My dull website.

I have lithium-ion batteries in my GPS, and cell phone. They work well,
but I have to anticipate my usage patterns to make sure I don't end up
with dead batteries should something unexpected come up. I like the
option to just pop in some standard batteries I can pick up at any
convenience store.
Old December 30th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

John Navas wrote:
-hh wrote:

They made a mistake, but they've now not repeated that mistake for the
past 20 years.

It was a deliberate decision, and there's no evidence that Canon
considers it a mistake.

Ah, but *you* consider it to be a mistake.

The only person who dives a damn that you got "burned" 20 years ago by
a significant-to-you FD investment is you.

ANd you hold this grudge against Canon despite your squandering of a 3
year transition period (1987-1990), as well as 17 more years to effect
a transition from old to new. You've had far too long of an
opportunity to adapt to change to garner any sympathy ... or
legitimacy ... for your Dead Horse.

Thus ***** by your own criteria of "past behavior" ***** you're
obligated to use that information as your guide to conclude that
their future behavior is to be continued to be good.

Not true.

Correct, for the above statement used the word "obligated", which is a
burden of honest people. As such, your disqualification comes at the
expense of revealing yourself as not being an honest person.

-hh

Old December 30th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 03:06:14 -0800 (PST), -hh
wrote in
:

John Navas wrote:
-hh wrote:

They made a mistake, but they've now not repeated that mistake for the
past 20 years.

It was a deliberate decision, and there's no evidence that Canon
considers it a mistake.

Ah, but *you* consider it to be a mistake.

We FD customers consider it a mistake. That makes it a mistake.

ANd you hold this grudge against Canon despite your squandering of a 3
year transition period (1987-1990), as well as 17 more years to effect
a transition from old to new.

It's not a "grudge" -- it's learned behavior. "Fool me once, shame on
you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

You've had far too long of an
opportunity to adapt to change

The problem is that there's no way to "adapt".

to garner any sympathy ... or
legitimacy ... for your Dead Horse.

Your opinion doesn't matter to me.

Thus ***** by your own criteria of "past behavior" ***** you're
obligated to use that information as your guide to conclude that
their future behavior is to be continued to be good.

Not true.

Correct, for the above statement used the word "obligated", which is a
burden of honest people. As such, your disqualification comes at the
expense of revealing yourself as not being an honest person.

Total nonsense.

Old December 30th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article nl1dj.25157$vd4.17363@pd7urf1no,
Matt Ion wrote:

Ajanta wrote:

If you want informed opinions, then start by sharing some useful
research. Who cares if you are a "Canon guy"? Tell us something useful
like the focal length ranges, image stabilization, manual control
options, etc. Or, have you not looked at such things?

I've looked at the SPECS. I can get those from any number of sites.
I'm not asking for specs, I'm asking for OPINIONS on these specific
cameras. Not generic Canon-hater/Sony-hater cracks. Comments from
someone who's used one, or the other, or better yet, both. What do you
like about THAT camera? What don't you like about it?

Several people have already stated, both cameras are fine. Your best
criteria is to let your wife decide which camera to buy for her. Why
does it matter what a bunch of strangers say about a pair of cameras
that are virtually identical in their capabilities?

Your best bet is to bring your wife to a camera store and say to her,
pick the Canon or Sony and that's what we'll get. End of story.
Old December 30th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

John Navas wrote:
-hh wrote in
John Navas wrote:
*-hh wrote:

They made a mistake, but they've now not repeated that mistake for
the past 20 years.

It was a deliberate decision, and there's no evidence that Canon
considers it a mistake.

Ah, but *you* consider it to be a mistake.

We FD customers consider it a mistake. *That makes it a mistake.

Regardless, you refuse to give them any credit that they may have
learned from their "mistake" to not do it again, despite the 20 years
of history where they've not done it.

ANd you hold this grudge against Canon despite your squandering of a 3
year transition period (1987-1990), as well as 17 more years to effect
a transition from old to new.

It's not a "grudge" -- it's learned behavior. *"Fool me once, shame on
you. *Fool me twice, shame on me."

But conveniently ignoring 20 years of their 'good' behavior = grudge.

You've had far too long of an
opportunity to adapt to change

The problem is that there's no way to "adapt".

Bull****. Your SLR stagnation was by choice, for you had 20 years
worth of opportunities to have sold off your FD gear and replaced with
something else.

The simple facts are that there's no manufacturer's warranty that you
can point to that promised that their products will all be supported
forever, yet you're trying to blame them anyway, because this course
allows you try to avoid responsibility for your own decisions and
actions.

And this isn't unique: your beloved DMC-FZ8 doesn't have a "forever"
promise from Panasonic. They won't still be making new accessories
for it 20 years from now either, so you had better get started to get
wound up to hold a grudge against them too.

-hh
Old December 30th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Matt Ion wrote:
So the wife wants a nice little compact P&S... she's pretty much
narrowed her choices down to the Canon SD1000 or the Sony DSCT70. Both
are similar specs (7.1MP), similar price.

Plus for the Canon: uses SD memory, of which I already have several
cards. Plus for the Sony: she likes the look and the fact she can get
it in pink to match her RAZR phone rolls eyes.

Minus to both: proprietary rechargeable batteries, which seems to be
pretty much the only option to anything in this thin form-factor.

I know it's probably crazy asking in here, but I'm gonna solicit
opinions on one or the other of these two. I'll be sitting over in the
corner in my rose-colored shades and asbestos undies....

The only real negative about the SD1000 is the lack of IS. I got the
SD800 IS for this reason, as well as because it has a wide angle lens
which the SD1000 lacks (it's also 7.1MP).

I would definitely avoid the DSC-T70 at all costs. It's not in the same
league as the SD1000. It lacks an optical viewfinder. It uses those
gawd-awful memory sticks. It has less expandability, it uses more
expensive batteries, the list goes on and on.

So get the SD1000 and paint it pink. But consider the SD800 IS as well,
for the image stabilization and 28mm at the wide end. It's a bit more
expensive at around $239, but the extra cost is well worth it.

Old December 30th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Beladi Nasrallah wrote:
On Dec 28, 6:34 am, Matt Ion wrote:
So the wife wants a nice little compact P&S... she's pretty much
narrowed her choices down to the Canon SD1000 or the Sony DSCT70. Both
are similar specs (7.1MP), similar price.

Now, go and tell your wife that she can get a pocketable model from
Panasonic, such as

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX55
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX33
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX100
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30

Unlike the said Sony or Canon, those Panasonics have a focal length of
28 mm (vs. 35 mm or 38 mm for Cony). This means that she can get more
people into the frame when doing the pictures at a party. She will be
****ing boiling water from excitement, I guarantee you !

Better to the SD800 IS from Canon. The problem with Panasonic cameras
are that they are extremely noisy. If you look only at specs, Panasonic
is great.
Old December 30th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

-hh wrote:

ANd you hold this grudge against Canon despite your squandering of a 3
year transition period (1987-1990), as well as 17 more years to effect
a transition from old to new. You've had far too long of an
opportunity to adapt to change to garner any sympathy ... or
legitimacy ... for your Dead Horse.

There were two adapters available for those that wanted to use FD lenses
on EOS bodies. And of course all the FD bodies continued to work just fine.

What's much worse is what Nikon has done by refusing to make a clean
break with a new lens mount. They now have to issue elaborate
compatibility charts to show which lenses will work on which cameras.
You can get some lenses upgraded by third-parties to work with newer
bodies, but some bodies like the D40/D40x won't work with any of the
older lenses that require motor drive.

Had Canon not made the change, they would no longer be in the SLR
business as the FD mount could not handle the functionality and optics
of many of their current lenses. Nikon is unable to manufacture certain
lenses because of the limitations of their lens mount.