Long zoom EVFs

Old December 16th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
flambe

Default Long zoom EVFs

Is there any real information on the next generation of these cameras? The
current crop does everything except take decent pictures.
For example the Panaleicasonic FZ18 has incredible specs.
Unfortunately the images it creates have incredible noise even at the lowest
ISO setting. I came close to buying one but it would drive me crazy.
I guess the real question is whther or not noise problems inherent to the
small sensors used in those cameras can ever be tamed.
It would be nice not to have to lug a massive dSLR and lens around: the
Nikon 18-200VR on a D80 is a real pain in the neck. Nice pictures though!

Old December 16th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"flambe" wrote in message
Is there any real information on the next generation of these cameras? The
current crop does everything except take decent pictures.
For example the Panaleicasonic FZ18 has incredible specs.
Unfortunately the images it creates have incredible noise even at the
lowest ISO setting. I came close to buying one but it would drive me
crazy.
I guess the real question is whther or not noise problems inherent to the
small sensors used in those cameras can ever be tamed.
It would be nice not to have to lug a massive dSLR and lens around: the
Nikon 18-200VR on a D80 is a real pain in the neck. Nice pictures though!

Don't compare any EVF small sensor camera to a large sensor SLR; you'll be
disappointed. However, the utility of the EVF cameras is undeniable. I have
an FZ50 to compliment my 5D, and it's a wonderful camera. Noise is higher
than the 5D, of course, but it is capable of producing excellent images.
Likewise the FZ18. Shoot within the limits of the machine, and you can
produce excellent images.

As far as the next generation goes, who knows? Maybe the manufacturers will
abandon the high end and concentrate on the low end, and cameras like the
TZ-3. It all comes down to money.

Old December 16th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , flambe
wrote:

Is there any real information on the next generation of these cameras? The
current crop does everything except take decent pictures.
For example the Panaleicasonic FZ18 has incredible specs.
Unfortunately the images it creates have incredible noise even at the lowest
ISO setting. I came close to buying one but it would drive me crazy.
I guess the real question is whther or not noise problems inherent to the
small sensors used in those cameras can ever be tamed.
It would be nice not to have to lug a massive dSLR and lens around: the
Nikon 18-200VR on a D80 is a real pain in the neck. Nice pictures though!

You would expect Panasonic to produce anything with a degree of quality?
Old December 17th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dj_nme[_2_]

Kinon O'Cann wrote:

"flambe" wrote in message

[...]

Does it make much difference to apparent noise if you set the resolution
of the camera below it's native resolution?
My guess would be that it would make the images look smoother of it was
set to downsample to 8pm or 6mp rather than recording in the native 10mp
of the sensor.
I din't know and haven't tried it.

As far as the next generation goes, who knows? Maybe the manufacturers
will abandon the high end and concentrate on the low end, and cameras
like the TZ-3. It all comes down to money.

Maybe the system that Canon uses on it's DSLR cameras of in-sensor noise
reduction could be applied to small-sensor digicams (EVF cams included).
The future is a strange country, so who knows what features the new
cameras will have?
Old December 17th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:58:55 -0800, flambe wrote:

Is there any real information on the next generation of these cameras? The
current crop does everything except take decent pictures.
For example the Panaleicasonic FZ18 has incredible specs.
Unfortunately the images it creates have incredible noise even at the lowest
ISO setting. I came close to buying one but it would drive me crazy.
I guess the real question is whther or not noise problems inherent to the
small sensors used in those cameras can ever be tamed.
It would be nice not to have to lug a massive dSLR and lens around: the
Nikon 18-200VR on a D80 is a real pain in the neck. Nice pictures though!

I use a Kodak P850, and I find it takes quite decent picuters. I find no
noticable noise at reasonable ISO settings. It also has a 220k EVF which
is a joy to use - compared to a number of other EVFs with only 110k pixels
EVF.

Old December 17th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Mr. Strat wrote:
In article , flambe
wrote:

Is there any real information on the next generation of these
cameras? The current crop does everything except take decent
pictures.
For example the Panaleicasonic FZ18 has incredible specs.
Unfortunately the images it creates have incredible noise even at
the lowest ISO setting. I came close to buying one but it would
drive me crazy.
I guess the real question is whther or not noise problems inherent
to the small sensors used in those cameras can ever be tamed.
It would be nice not to have to lug a massive dSLR and lens around:
the Nikon 18-200VR on a D80 is a real pain in the neck. Nice
pictures though!

You would expect Panasonic to produce anything with a degree of
quality?

Panasonic cameras are capable of producing good quality images when used
within the limitations of a small-sensor camera. I tend to use mine at
ISO 100 normally, ISO 200 at a push. Of course, there is more noise than
a DSLR at the same speed, but certainly not enough to spoil the images in
my viewing conditions. Their cameras are capable of better results than
some other brands of compact cameras. I haven't used their DSLRs.

Cheers,
David

Old December 17th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"dj_nme" wrote in message

Does it make much difference to apparent noise if you set the resolution
of the camera below it's native resolution?
My guess would be that it would make the images look smoother of it was
set to downsample to 8pm or 6mp rather than recording in the native 10mp
of the sensor.
I din't know and haven't tried it.

I've tried it, and no it really doesn't. Even if the noise is higher at
higer resolutions, you notice it less due to the increased amount of detail
captured (or so it seems). When printing, you can't judge noise at the pixel
level, just by what you see on paper.

As far as the next generation goes, who knows? Maybe the manufacturers
will abandon the high end and concentrate on the low end, and cameras
like the TZ-3. It all comes down to money.

Maybe the system that Canon uses on it's DSLR cameras of in-sensor noise
reduction could be applied to small-sensor digicams (EVF cams included).
The future is a strange country, so who knows what features the new
cameras will have?

Maybe, but for some reason, compacts have not followed the SLRs in using
CMOS. I'm not a "chip guy" and can't explain why.

Old December 17th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David McDavid

Mr. Strat provided us with his pathetic trolling in news:161220071458222780%
:

You would expect Panasonic to produce anything with a degree of quality?

Yes, you tosser.

--
David McDavid
Old December 17th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , David
McDavid wrote:

You would expect Panasonic to produce anything with a degree of quality?

Yes, you tosser.

Sorry to see that your standards are so low.
Old December 17th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

flambe wrote:
Is there any real information on the next generation of these cameras? The
current crop does everything except take decent pictures.

You have stated Panasonic's problem in a nutshell.