Panasonic DMC-FZ3

Old April 3rd 05, 02:31 AM
Mick Breen

Default Panasonic DMC-FZ3

Hi all, I have read as many tests and reviews as I can about this camera,
but was wondering how any of the owners find it. Maybe it's good and bad
points ?

Mick.

Old April 3rd 05, 08:49 AM
David Efflandt

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 11:31:01 +1000, Mick Breen wrote:
Hi all, I have read as many tests and reviews as I can about this camera,
but was wondering how any of the owners find it. Maybe it's good and bad
points ?

I picked one up as a secondary camera because of its stabilized 12x zoom
and f2.8 throughout its zoom range, to photograph wildlife and other
things beyond the reach of a 3x zoom. My thought is that the zoom would
be better to capture what I want instead of cropping an image from a
higher megapixel camera (larger file size) and possibly losing some detail
in previous compression. Besides its normal automatic modes, it has
specific modes to get the right look for things like snow, night scenes,
fireworks, etc. Included in its resolutions for taking photos is a
resolution suitable for widescreen HDTV.

My first test was photos up and down the block at night from a tripod on
my porch. I was impressed, and could read a street sign 1/2 long block
away lit by a street light. Even a porch light was enough to get a decent
photo. 48x at night (12x + 4x digital) was grainy and not as sharp. But
as long as digital zoom was disabled, the 12x zoom worked great.

Its flash is not that strong and it has no plug for external flash. But
it seems to take decent photos indoors even without flash, so that is not
that much of an issue unless people are moving (which can be an
interesting effect). Shutter speed is slower without the flash indoors,
but as long as you hold the camera steady (and not overly rely on image
stabilization) it takes sharp photos.

Per the reviews it can get grainy if something (like shutter priority)
pushes it to ISO 400. Although, that may depend saved resolution, or what
size the image is viewed or printed. But if the camera compensated for
that, images would not be as sharp as they are (which under brigher
conditions is sharper than other cameras).

It does not have manual focus. But it does have an IR light to help it
focus in low light.

It is light weight, but a bit bulky. But it seems to be the best in its
price range to reach out for sharp photos without decreasing f-stop at
higher zoom. So it suits my needs (my other camera is a Nikon 990).

Old April 3rd 05, 12:58 PM
cyclone

"Mick Breen" wrote in message
Hi all, I have read as many tests and reviews as I can about this camera,
but was wondering how any of the owners find it. Maybe it's good and bad
points ?

Mick.

I love mine.

Bad points? I have no specific criticisms. I know the limits of small
sensor non dSLR cameras and I stick to situations my FZ3 excels at. Some
say it is noisier at higher ISOs than other similar cameras. I can't
confirm because I shoot almost exclusively at ISO80 and hardly ever shoot
indoors or in low light situations unless I use a longer exposure and a
tripod. (I do remove noise in software afterwards with longer exposure night
shots)

If pushed I guess I could name a few desired improvements :-

- 1.5" lcd could be larger (and is on the newer FZ5 I think),
- I would like an AE lock button,
- their should be a thread on the end of the lens rather than having to use
the included plastic lens hood that is not capable of supporting heavy tele
converters (there is a replacement metal yoshida adaptor that is on my
shopping list http://butabara-tec.com/)
- I would like the camera to be available in black (personal preference)

Three out of these four criticisms are not applicable to the FZ20, but I
like the compact size of the 3 and I'm happy with the trade off.

But forget the bad points. This is an excellent camera packed with features
that make it amazing value for money. The 12x image stabilised leica lens
is f/2.8 even at the tele end. It is equivalent in 35mm terms to 35-420mm
and can be handheld with ease (and good technique). It is a very compact
camera. It has all the modes that I need at the moment (aperture priority
f/2.8 - f/8) , shutter priority (8secs - 1/2000, M & P modes, macro etc) as
well as scene modes that my wife likes (landscape, portrait sports etc.)

If you want to see what the 12x can do, I took the 2 photos in this link
handheld at 35mm and 420mm. :-
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12320135

Here are some examples of longer exposure night shots (tripod mounted)
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12799128
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12040306

And a few bird shots :-
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12263880
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12647935
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12623526
http://s8.invisionfree.com/Panasonic...showtopic=1040

And a few golf shots :-
http://s8.invisionfree.com/Panasonic...?showtopic=988
http://s8.invisionfree.com/Panasonic...?showtopic=995

I'm sure there are better cameras out there and my photos can probably be
picked to bits but I'm happy with the camera and the pix it takes

FWIW, 6 months ago I didn't even know what aperture was and only had a fully
automatic camera. I've done a *lot* of reading and learning with the help
of many of the excellent forums and resources on the net, and the FZ3 has
been a great companion on that journey.

Hope this helps.
Tony

Old April 6th 05, 04:40 AM
Robert Morrisette

"Mick Breen" wrote in message
Hi all, I have read as many tests and reviews as I can about this camera,
but was wondering how any of the owners find it. Maybe it's good and bad
points ?

Mick.

+ features of the FZ3

Small size, light weight

Looks cool with lens hood

Price - I paid $285

Works with hi-speed memory

12X zoom lever and shutter controlled with one finger

Continuous 2.4 zoom

Many, many features

Sabu