Who's for 50 Megapixels?

Old February 6th 15, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default Who's for 50 Megapixels?

Which of you will buy one of the new Canon 50.3 MP DSLRs? Why?

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old February 6th 15, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

--
I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost
everything that
you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

It's disappointing that there is no improvement in DR over the 5D3.
It's too rich for my blood anyway.

Old February 6th 15, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 12:27:12 -0500, Davoud wrote:

Which of you will buy one of the new Canon 50.3 MP DSLRs? Why?

Neither. Very disappointed to see that there's no improvement in DR or
noise. Also, I'm wondering why they limited the ISO to 6400. Very
strange.

I'll be ordering a Nikon D810 next month.
Old February 6th 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Which of you will buy one of the new Canon 50.3 MP DSLRs? Why?

not me since i have all nikon equipment so it isn't even a
consideration.

but even if i had canon i wouldn't bother since it's way more pixels
than i need plus its iso is intentionally limited for no reason.
Old February 6th 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud
Which of you will buy one of the new Canon 50.3 MP DSLRs? Why?

PAS:
It's disappointing that there is no improvement in DR over the 5D3.

O, you (and Bowser) are good! Due to a failure of vision, I am unable
to properly judge a camera that I have not seen yet.

I know from experience that the 5D Mark III is a superb camera, a top
choice for professionals around the world. My guess is that the new
5D's, which are based on the 5D, but with far higher resolution, will
be superb as well. How bad can that be for those who need the higher
resolution?

It's too rich for my blood anyway.

Ah, well, that's a different matter. My wife is already insisting that
I buy one, but I'm not at all certain that I need the higher
resolution, as I rarely make 30-inch prints. I'll wait and see what the
5D Mark IV has to offer. Remember, though, you only go 'round once,
only get one chance, and when your round is over, it's over.

Old February 6th 15, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Davoud
Which of you will buy one of the new Canon 50.3 MP DSLRs? Why?

PAS:
It's disappointing that there is no improvement in DR over the 5D3.

O, you (and Bowser) are good! Due to a failure of vision, I am unable
to properly judge a camera that I have not seen yet.

dpreview has seen it.
Old February 6th 15, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Davoud" wrote in message
Davoud
Which of you will buy one of the new Canon 50.3 MP DSLRs? Why?

PAS:
It's disappointing that there is no improvement in DR over the 5D3.

O, you (and Bowser) are good! Due to a failure of vision, I am unable
to properly judge a camera that I have not seen yet.

Canon's Chuck Westfall stated that the DR is the same as the 5D3.
That's good enough for me to form a judgment.

I'm not saying that the DR of the 5D3 is not good but I would expect to
see some improvement with a new sensor. Canon is lagging behind in DR
with their own sensors. They didn't rule out using a third party sensor
for a camera but the fact that there is no improvement in DR tells me
this is a Canon designed and fabbed sensor and not from a 3rd party like
Sony.

I know from experience that the 5D Mark III is a superb camera, a top
choice for professionals around the world. My guess is that the new
5D's, which are based on the 5D, but with far higher resolution, will
be superb as well. How bad can that be for those who need the higher
resolution?

I agree about the 5D3. If I had the money to spend on a full-frame, it
would be the 5D3 and not the new 50MP cameras. I have no need for a
50MP camera.

It's too rich for my blood anyway.

Ah, well, that's a different matter. My wife is already insisting that
I buy one, but I'm not at all certain that I need the higher
resolution, as I rarely make 30-inch prints. I'll wait and see what
the
5D Mark IV has to offer. Remember, though, you only go 'round once,
only get one chance, and when your round is over, it's over.

Might borrow your dear wife for just a few minutes, that's all it takes
to place the order?

I don't have to read into your message to see that you have doubt as to
whether the new camera is of any benefit to you. I think you would be
wise to wait for the 5D mk IV

Old February 6th 15, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 7/02/2015 8:06 a.m., PAS wrote:

"Davoud" wrote in message
Davoud
Which of you will buy one of the new Canon 50.3 MP DSLRs? Why?

PAS:
It's disappointing that there is no improvement in DR over the 5D3.

O, you (and Bowser) are good! Due to a failure of vision, I am unable
to properly judge a camera that I have not seen yet.

Canon's Chuck Westfall stated that the DR is the same as the 5D3. That's
good enough for me to form a judgment.

I'm not saying that the DR of the 5D3 is not good but I would expect to
see some improvement with a new sensor. Canon is lagging behind in DR
with their own sensors. They didn't rule out using a third party sensor
for a camera but the fact that there is no improvement in DR tells me
this is a Canon designed and fabbed sensor and not from a 3rd party like
Sony.

These cameras aren't available until June.

There seem to have been comments made that "pixel level noise" is the
same as the 7DII - but is this shot noise (ie more visible at high ISO,
and as the 5DS models have similar pixel size, then an inescapable
limit, or is it read noise which impacts on dynamic range at low ISO?

If Canon have made a change / upgraded their sensor fab - or contracted
this out to a third-party (Sony?), and this allowed them to change
architecture on the sensors (on-chip ADC) to reduce read noise, then the
first cameras to implement these (5DS/R) aren't going to be available
for many months. Would it be a good idea in the meantime to announce
that you'd solved a problem (low base ISO DR) which has never been
admitted (effectively saying that "the stuff we can sell you now isn't
very good- but wait until June" - or "We've made a major change to
sensor architecture that we didn't need to make, as what we've been
making is good enough anyway").

I would take what review sites say about this with a grain of salt -
until there's further information to go on, information from Canon, or
release of low ISO raw files which could be analyzed giving a very good
indication of how these sensors perform.

Canon's sensors are at least 2 stops behind the competition on base ISO
DR. A 50MP FX with 7DII low ISO read noise at the pixel level would be
pretty frustrating to use for landscape photography.
Old February 6th 15, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Davoud says...

Which of you will buy one of the new Canon 50.3 MP DSLRs? Why?

Why carry around a medium format camera when you can have 50MP in a
DSLR?

--
Alfred Molon

Old February 6th 15, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 2/6/15 11:27 AM, in article , "Davoud"
wrote:

Which of you will buy one of the new Canon 50.3 MP DSLRs? Why?

shakey hand shyly raised slightly over head in a meek manner

"Be... Because, er ‹ because size matters?!??"

slumps under desk in faint