"New" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR gets heavy criticism

Old July 29th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

Default "New" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR gets heavy criticism

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:06:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:

The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
Photographer" until recently.

The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on the
A380's predecessor, the A350.

The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted. The
list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.

Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.

The Alpha range is dying.

I think it may have started 'dying' the day Sony bought it from Minolta.
Old July 30th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"ray" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:06:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:

The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
Photographer" until recently.

The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on the
A380's predecessor, the A350.

The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted. The
list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.

Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.

The Alpha range is dying.

I think it may have started 'dying' the day Sony bought it from Minolta.

maybe they should consider a Beta range, but then again beta is usually
thought of as work in progress. The Sony NIF (New improved formula) likm
they do with washing up liquid ;-)

Old July 30th 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

"ray" wrote in message
[...]

I bought the Alpha 100 when it first came out, and it has been an amazing
camera. Better resolution than any of the Canikons of the time, and still
terrific. Great range of lenses. Intuitive controls. Still current, but I am
interested in Live View and possibly video now.

The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
except to Canikon luddites.

Gary Eickmeier

Old July 30th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
om...
[]
I bought the Alpha 100 when it first came out, and it has been an
amazing camera. Better resolution than any of the Canikons of the time,
and still terrific. Great range of lenses. Intuitive controls. Still
current, but I am interested in Live View and possibly video now.

The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
except to Canikon luddites.

Gary Eickmeier

In the forefront? Not sure about that.

Worth changing a complete system for? Perhaps worth considering if
starting from scratch.

Is resolution everything?

Cheers,
David

Old July 31st 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
except to Canikon luddites.

Gary-

I have a nice collection of Minolta lenses previously used with a couple
of 35mm bodies. They worked perfectly with the Alpha 100, so I upgraded
to the Alpha 900.

I would be a Sony luddite if I hadn't also played with a Canon 5D Mark
II. The optics are no better or worse, but noise at low light levels is
much LESS noticeable with the Canon. Canon photos at ISO 3200 are
comparable to Sony photos at ISO 400, except that higher shutter speeds
result in sharper images!

I wonder if models released since the A900 are any less noisy at high
ISO? If Sony can't solve the noise problem, they won't stand a chance.

Fred
Old July 31st 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
except to Canikon luddites.

Gary-

I have a nice collection of Minolta lenses previously used with a couple
of 35mm bodies. They worked perfectly with the Alpha 100, so I upgraded
to the Alpha 900.

I would be a Sony luddite if I hadn't also played with a Canon 5D Mark
II. The optics are no better or worse, but noise at low light levels is
much LESS noticeable with the Canon. Canon photos at ISO 3200 are
comparable to Sony photos at ISO 400, except that higher shutter speeds
result in sharper images!

I wonder if models released since the A900 are any less noisy at high
ISO? If Sony can't solve the noise problem, they won't stand a chance.

They are less noisy. Check out dpreviews or any others.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.
Old July 31st 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:34:10 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
wrote:
:
: "whisky-dave" wrote in message
: news:i2upbf$eie$1@qmul...
:
: "ray" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the company
circled the drain.

Bob
Old August 2nd 10, 05:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

wrote:

: The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
: except to Canikon luddites.

I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the
company
circled the drain.

What circling? What drain? They are still bringing out new cameras every
year - more models than anyone else. I am very attracted to the rotating
hi-res LCD live view ones, but I wish they could experiment with video as
well. Sony has always been in the forefront of video, too.

Gary Eickmeier

Old August 2nd 10, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

wrote:

: The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
: except to Canikon luddites.

I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the
company
circled the drain.

What circling? What drain? They are still bringing out new cameras every
year - more models than anyone else. I am very attracted to the rotating
hi-res LCD live view ones, but I wish they could experiment with video as
well. Sony has always been in the forefront of video, too.

Sony brought out new Palm-based PDAs every year too. More models than
anyone else and better. And then one day they decided that they didn't
want to be in that business anymore and dropped the whole product line.
Old August 2nd 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:

: The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
: except to Canikon luddites.

I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the
company
circled the drain.

What circling? What drain? They are still bringing out new cameras every
year - more models than anyone else. I am very attracted to the rotating
hi-res LCD live view ones, but I wish they could experiment with video as
well. Sony has always been in the forefront of video, too.

According to the Sony people I've talked to, they're not bringing out
video in DSLRs until they've got a system sufficiently good to leave
the competition struggling to catch up. But then they would say that
:-)