Lens cleaning

Old July 16th 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

Default Lens cleaning

Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager drops
and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed any
discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

Old July 16th 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager
drops and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t
noticed any discussions about such things here for quite a while so was
wondering if there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

I usually find a lens cloth (e.g. Jessops) and moist breath quite
adequate. Sometime even a clean hanky and breath. If that wasn't
adequate, try warm water (not letting it get into the lends, of course),
and if not that /very/ mildly soapy warm water.

Modern lens coatings are usually quite robust, but I suspect that not even
Canon's would stand the wire wool treatment! G

David

Old July 16th 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rutger[_2_]

"whisky-dave" schreef in bericht

Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager drops
and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed any
discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

I use my piece of cloth i got when i got my glasses. Works very fine.

Rutger

www.amons.net

Old July 16th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GMAN[_12_]

Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager
drops and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t
noticed any discussions about such things here for quite a while so was
wondering if there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

I usually find a lens cloth (e.g. Jessops) and moist breath quite
adequate. Sometime even a clean hanky and breath. If that wasn't
adequate, try warm water (not letting it get into the lends, of course),
and if not that /very/ mildly soapy warm water.

Do you realize how much greassy crap comes flying out of your mouth when you
breathe on your lens?

Old July 16th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"GMAN" wrote in message
[]
Do you realize how much greassy crap comes flying out of your mouth when
you
breathe on your lens?

Your can speak for your own mouth and eating habits!

David

Old July 16th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-07-16 06:00:03 -0700, "whisky-dave" said:

Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager drops
and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed any
discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

That is what happens when you are on your back in a crowded pub, and
the suds are flowing.

A lens cloth with a small area dampened should get this cleaned up
without causing too much damage.
There are also non-alcohol eye-glass lens cleaning fluids for use on
non-glass lenses which you could use instead of water to dampen the
cloth.

Savageduck

Old July 16th 10, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GMAN[_12_]

In article , "David J Taylor" wrote:
"GMAN" wrote in message
[]
Do you realize how much greassy crap comes flying out of your mouth when
you
breathe on your lens?

Your can speak for your own mouth and eating habits!

David

Says the one who eats meat pies made out of stomach and head cheese..

Even Nikon says that its bad.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/539

"Do not breathe on the lens to fog it for cleaning. There are harmful acids in
breath that can damage lens coatings"

Not only are there minute particles of what you have been eatting, but you are
breathing out carbon dioxide, an acid !!!!!
Old July 17th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Better Info[_6_]

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:00:03 +0100, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager drops
and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed any
discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

Microfiber cloth and Rexton Optyl-7. I purchase 8 oz. bottles from a
surplus outfit for pennies. So inexpensive that I give bottles of it away.
Best optics cleaner I've ever found and used. It'll even remove dried
plant-saps from lens surfaces. The very best microfiber cloths are
purchased as "Clean & Shine" cloths from Windex in your grocery store. 12,
11"x11" cloths for around $3 that can be cut into 4ths. They're much softer
with an open-weave mesh that traps particles, it doesn't push the grit
around like your standard tightly-woven 6"x6" microfiber cloths that you
buy from a camera dealer for upwards of $10. So inexpensive that you can
discard them after one or a few uses.

I design my own lenses and have repaired many complex optics assemblies
(right down to plan-apo phase contrast oil-immersion microscope
objectives). I've tried and used all manner of cleaning methods. The best
optics cleaning system can be had for under $5 and will last nearly a
lifetime--IF you know what works best and where to buy it.

Just more proof that "you get what you pay for" is a simpleton fool's
claim.

Just one more example of the kind of valuable information that you'll
usually miss out on by being total asshole trolls.

The only thing that has me puzzled is why I'm even sharing this valuable
information with cretins that don't deserve help from anyone in the world
at all. I'll never know. Perhaps for the 1 or 2 who might read this who
don't deserve to suffer for you resident trolls being complete asswipes.

Old July 17th 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether[_3_]

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , "David J Taylor"

wrote:
"GMAN" wrote in message

[]
Do you realize how much greassy crap comes flying out of your mouth
when you breathe on your lens?

Your can speak for your own mouth and eating habits!

David

Says the one who eats meat pies made out of stomach and head cheese..

Even Nikon says that its bad.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/539

"Do not breathe on the lens to fog it for cleaning. There are harmful acids
in breath that can damage lens coatings"

Not only are there minute particles of what you have been eatting, but you
are breathing out carbon dioxide, an acid !!!!!

I think the above is a "gross" exaggeration of things since the "acid"
is VERY mild, and only VERY temporarily on the lens surface. BTW,
if one breathes UP onto the down-facing lens surface, spit, etc. tend
not to reach the lens surface, just the fogging moisture. I have used this
method successfully for decades to clean lenses. For more difficult
"glop" on the lens, I VERY SLIGHTLY moisten a Q-Tip with Windex
(a window cleaner), then in turn use that to barely moisten another
Q-Tip for the actual cleaning, finishing with breath and a good lens
tissue (AFTER washing my hands with a dish washing detergent),
WITHOUT silicone in it (that's horrible stuff to remove from a lens
later, when it begins to fog). Some now prefer microfiber cloths for
lens cleaning, though...
--DR

Old July 17th 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"David Ruether" wrote in message
[]
I think the above is a "gross" exaggeration of things since the "acid"
is VERY mild, and only VERY temporarily on the lens surface. BTW,
if one breathes UP onto the down-facing lens surface, spit, etc. tend
not to reach the lens surface, just the fogging moisture. I have used
this
method successfully for decades to clean lenses. For more difficult
"glop" on the lens, I VERY SLIGHTLY moisten a Q-Tip with Windex
(a window cleaner), then in turn use that to barely moisten another
Q-Tip for the actual cleaning, finishing with breath and a good lens
tissue (AFTER washing my hands with a dish washing detergent),
WITHOUT silicone in it (that's horrible stuff to remove from a lens
later, when it begins to fog). Some now prefer microfiber cloths for
lens cleaning, though...
--DR

What did you expect from the resident troll?

Like you, I have used this method for decades to clean lenses, and I have
/never/ seen any ill effects. And I'm proud of my lenses, and would
certainly not do anything to damage them. Modern lens coatings are
relatively robust.

Cheers,
David

New lens cleaning kit! Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_] Digital Photography 0 March 9th 09 06:50 PM
lens cleaning Sky Digital Photography 3 February 1st 06 11:45 PM
lens cleaning Ben Rosengart Other Photographic Equipment 2 February 26th 05 08:49 PM
Lens cleaning Deputy Dog Digital ZLR Cameras 2 February 7th 05 11:20 AM
Lens cleaning Paul Westwell Digital Photography 40 September 20th 04 07:39 PM