I had to chuckle

Old January 4th 11, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default I had to chuckle

While reading, "Canon EOS Rebel XSi 450D Guide to Digital
Photography," by David Busch, I came across the
following:

Manual exposure can come in handy in some situations. You might
be taking a silhouette photo and find that none of the exposure
modes or EV correction features give you exactly the effect you
want. For example, when I shot the ballet dancer in Figure 4.16
in front of a backlit scrim, there was no way any of my Rebel
XSi’s exposure modes would be able to interpret the scene the way
I wanted to shoot it. So, I took a couple test exposures, and set
the exposure manually to use the exact shutter speed and f/stop I
needed.

Sounds like the guy really got intimate with the XSi,
right?

Well, a bit farther along in the book, I found:

MicroDrives not recommended.
Because they use up a lot of power on their own, mini hard
drives are not recommended as a storage medium for Live View
sessions. Use a Compact Flash card instead.

Given that Canon uses SD cards in the XSi, not CF, I'd say Mr.
Busch is more into publication by "Search and Replace" than
in-depth evaluation...

Take Care,
Dudley
Old January 4th 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_5_]

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
news
[...]

That seems to have been a nasty slip on David Busch's part. Perhaps not too
surprising, though.

In my experience he publishes pretty much the same book over and over,
perhaps half of it actually devoted to the camera model the book is supposed
to be about, the other half material about DSLR photography in general, and
a lot of the content is just dusted off, slightly rewritten (if even that)
for each new book.

Old January 4th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Dudley Hanks wrote:
While reading, "Canon EOS Rebel XSi 450D Guide to Digital
Photography," by David Busch, I came across the
following:
Well, a bit farther along in the book, I found:

MicroDrives not recommended.
Because they use up a lot of power on their own, mini hard
drives are not recommended as a storage medium for Live View
sessions. Use a Compact Flash card instead.

Microdrives don't fit in newer CF Nikons, and I suspect are not sold new
any more, either. I bought one with my D70 cause it was cheaper to get
large capacity at the time... never noticed battery drain problems, I
had another 'real' CF card too.

Old January 6th 11, 09:48 PM
savantcreative savantcreative is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Hanks[_4_] View Post
[...]

I bought one of those guides a few years ago when I bought my 1DS. It was a Magic Lantern Guide book. What a waste of paper. The manuels that came with the camera were much better.