Lens cleaning

Old July 17th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GMAN[_12_]

Default Lens cleaning

In article , "David J Taylor" wrote:
"David Ruether" wrote in message
[]
I think the above is a "gross" exaggeration of things since the "acid"
is VERY mild, and only VERY temporarily on the lens surface. BTW,
if one breathes UP onto the down-facing lens surface, spit, etc. tend
not to reach the lens surface, just the fogging moisture. I have used
this
method successfully for decades to clean lenses. For more difficult
"glop" on the lens, I VERY SLIGHTLY moisten a Q-Tip with Windex
(a window cleaner), then in turn use that to barely moisten another
Q-Tip for the actual cleaning, finishing with breath and a good lens
tissue (AFTER washing my hands with a dish washing detergent),
WITHOUT silicone in it (that's horrible stuff to remove from a lens
later, when it begins to fog). Some now prefer microfiber cloths for
lens cleaning, though...
--DR

What did you expect from the resident troll?

LMFAO!!!!!!!

Go ahead and keep spitting on your lenses. Most major manufacturers frown upon
this habit and I personally trust Nikon, Canon, etc.. over someones stupid
habits.

Like you, I have used this method for decades to clean lenses, and I have
/never/ seen any ill effects. And I'm proud of my lenses, and would
certainly not do anything to damage them. Modern lens coatings are
relatively robust.

Cheers,
David

Old July 19th 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

Cheers for the useful replies, I was wondering about the breathing on it
option.
I considered using one of those cleaners for LCD computer displays.

Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager drops
and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed any
discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

Old July 19th 10, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[]
Cheers for the useful replies, I was wondering about the breathing on it
option.

Works well for many of us!

I considered using one of those cleaners for LCD computer displays.

I would avoid that. if you must use a fluid, use one designed for camera
lens cleaning.

Cheers,
David

Old July 19th 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GMAN[_12_]

In article , "David J Taylor" wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[]
Cheers for the useful replies, I was wondering about the breathing on it
option.

Works well for many of us!

I considered using one of those cleaners for LCD computer displays.

I would avoid that. if you must use a fluid, use one designed for camera
lens cleaning.

Like spit!!! LOL!

Cheers,
David

Old July 20th 10, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"John Turco" wrote in message
[]
"GMAN" " is not who you think he is!

--
Cordially,
John Turco

It went in the killfile based on what I saw. I'll remove it based on what
you say.

Cheers,
David

Old July 21st 10, 01:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"John Turco" wrote in message
whisky-dave wrote:

Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager
drops
and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed any
discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

Just apply a few drops of whisky, dave.

You really think I'm going to waste whisky cleaning a lens !!!!

Although I've heard good vodka is a better cleaner.

Old July 22nd 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"krishnananda" wrote in message
In article i26pkr$dis$1@qmul,
"whisky-dave" wrote:

"John Turco" wrote in message
whisky-dave wrote:

Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager
drops
and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed
any
discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering
if
there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

Just apply a few drops of whisky, dave.

You really think I'm going to waste whisky cleaning a lens !!!!

Although I've heard good vodka is a better cleaner.

I saw on "How It's Made" that Absolut Vodka bottles are disinfected
prior to filling. And what they use to disinfect them is Absolut Vodka...

I've used Absolut Vodka...straight from the freezer, but only to disinfect
myself, no other reason honest ;-)

Old July 22nd 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

"whisky-dave" wrote:

"John Turco" wrote in message
whisky-dave wrote:

Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager
drops
and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed
any
discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering
if
there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

Just apply a few drops of whisky, dave.
You really think I'm going to waste whisky cleaning a lens !!!!

Although I've heard good vodka is a better cleaner.

I saw on "How It's Made" that Absolut Vodka bottles are disinfected
prior to filling. And what they use to disinfect them is Absolut Vodka...

I've used Absolut Vodka...straight from the freezer, but only to disinfect
myself, no other reason honest ;-)

Great mouthwash.

New lens cleaning kit! Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_] Digital Photography 0 March 9th 09 06:50 PM
lens cleaning Sky Digital Photography 3 February 1st 06 11:45 PM
lens cleaning Ben Rosengart Other Photographic Equipment 2 February 26th 05 08:49 PM
Lens cleaning Deputy Dog Digital ZLR Cameras 2 February 7th 05 11:20 AM
Lens cleaning Paul Westwell Digital Photography 40 September 20th 04 07:39 PM