I bet no one knows enough to answer THIS question... !

Old July 15th 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scotius[_3_]

Default I bet no one knows enough to answer THIS question... !

Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!
Old July 15th 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:52:04 -0400, Scotius wrote:
: Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
: square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

IOW, Will we help you cheat on your take-home physics exam?

Ans.: No
Old July 15th 10, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Scotius wrote:
Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

It's a mystery that'll never, ever be explained.

--
lsmft
Old July 15th 10, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-07-14 19:36:14 -0700, krishnananda
said:

In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:

Scotius wrote:
Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

It's a mystery that'll never, ever be explained.

The Nikon 8mm 180-degree fisheye produces a circular image on
rectangular film, as do other non-full-frame fisheyes.

But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?

In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

No longer true.
Now there is an 8 pack of dogs (Nathan's & Ball Park) to match the bun 8 pack.
....but is is the same price as the old 10 pack.

Savageduck

Old July 15th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

krishnananda wrote:
In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:

Scotius wrote:
Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

It's a mystery that'll never, ever be explained.

The Nikon 8mm 180-degree fisheye produces a circular image on
rectangular film, as do other non-full-frame fisheyes.

But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?

In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

Roger that! There is one theory that the average klutzy BBQer will drop
two in front of the guests, and have to dispose of them in the garbage
instead of putting 'em back on the grill.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 15th 10, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Twibil wrote:
On Jul 14, 8:36 pm, John McWilliams wrote:

But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?
In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

Roger that! There is one theory that the average klutzy BBQer will drop
two in front of the guests, and have to dispose of them in the garbage
instead of putting 'em back on the grill.

Another theory posits that many klutzy BBQers own large dogs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3541701218/

And just the right number! Two.....

--
john mcwilliams

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like
Norman Einstein." - Football commentator and former player Joe
Theismann, 1996
Old July 15th 10, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_5_]

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:52:04 -0400, Scotius wrote:

Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are square? Hmmm?
Tell me that ya' smarteys!

In-camera cropping.

--
Neil - reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.
Old July 15th 10, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

"krishnananda" wrote in message
John McWilliams wrote:

Scotius wrote:
Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

It's a mystery that'll never, ever be explained.

The Nikon 8mm 180-degree fisheye produces a circular image on
rectangular film, as do other non-full-frame fisheyes.

But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?

In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

It was also the question asked by the Bulletproof Monk. His answer: because
they do.

Old July 15th 10, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

"Scotius" wrote in message
Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

Horribly simple:

Because the earth is round, we need round lenses to see it. But because
paper is flat and rectangular, we need cameras and stuff to process the
round images into flat rectangular images so we can see them. Same goes for
monitors.

I'm really surprised you even had to ask.

Old July 15th 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"Scotius" wrote in message
Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

It's because trees are round which is what we use to make paper,
but the paper we print them on is square (or rectangle).
It's a government conspiracy that's been going on since the dawn of
photography.