Why DSLR still use CF card?

Old July 6th 10, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

Default Why DSLR still use CF card?

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 20:05:09 -0500, George Kerby wrote:

On 7/5/10 12:47 PM, in article , "ray"
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 11:48:32 -0500, George Kerby wrote:

On 7/5/10 9:42 AM, in article
, "ray"
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 06:33:42 -0500, Neil wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 14:03:10 +0000, ray wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 01:10:42 -0700, james wrote:

SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason
why high end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a
turn-off, not a feature.

I think one significant reason is that many purchasers are repeat
buyers - they already HAVE CF cards. IMHO - best route is to make a
camera capable of using CF and SD.ÐøO$

Who can afford A Canon eos 1Ds mk111 ? My pension won't run to it.

Mine would, but I eschew Canon.

Because?

Because they have no support for Linux, I choose to not use their
products and support folks who do.

So you don't use their hardware because it doesn't fit your software?

I don't use their hardware because of philosophical differences. I was
greatly turned off a number of years ago with a Canon winprinter.

Man, that is something I never would have guessed.

BTW: I don't use the software either, but that doesn't keep me from
using the best hardware products on the market.

If I felt I were severely constrained, I might possibly rethink my
position - no evidence so far that I am.
Old July 6th 10, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

His gain though, and ours, would be if they did support
Linux.

linux users might benefit but the rest of the users (which is vastly
greater in number) will lose.

resources are limited. if a company puts their efforts into supporting
linux, that means they'll have less resources available for developing
other features that will benefit a larger number of users.

They don't, so there is little reason to support
them simply because there are virtually always other
products from companies that do support Linux.

you have a nikon camera, they don't support linux but you bought it
anyway.
Old July 6th 10, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Robert Coe wrote:
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 17:37:33 -0400, "Neil
wrote:
:
: "Gary wrote in message
: ...
: On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 01:10:42 -0700, wrote:
:
:SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why
:high
:end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off, not a
:feature.
:
: Well, SD cards do have two advantages over CF cards:
: 1. Size and
: 2. Much less chance of bending pins inside the camera.
:
: I've read of that happening (bending pins) but I'm damned if I can see how
: it's possible. In every camera I own that takes CF cards, the card is guided
: so well into the camera, and the pin ends I presume are beveled, . . . how
: can any pins get bent? I am reasonably clumsy but have never bent any CF
: pins.

I've done it in a crappy card reader.

Ditto... after about 8 years...
Old July 6th 10, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

nospam wrote:
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

His gain though, and ours, would be if they did support
Linux.

linux users might benefit but the rest of the users (which is vastly
greater in number) will lose.

resources are limited. if a company puts their efforts into supporting
linux, that means they'll have less resources available for developing
other features that will benefit a larger number of users.

You don't understand the significance of Open Source...

They don't, so there is little reason to support
them simply because there are virtually always other
products from companies that do support Linux.

you have a nikon camera, they don't support linux but you bought it
anyway.

Nikon has no significant software products, Linux or
otherwise.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old July 6th 10, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

linux users might benefit but the rest of the users (which is vastly
greater in number) will lose.

resources are limited. if a company puts their efforts into supporting
linux, that means they'll have less resources available for developing
other features that will benefit a larger number of users.

You don't understand the significance of Open Source...

yes i do, and it's even less likely that a company is going to release
something open source, particularly a camera company where keeping
secrets from one's competitors is key. there is absolutely no way that
these companies would ever open source the 'secret sauce.' in some
cases, they *can't*.

you have a nikon camera, they don't support linux but you bought it
anyway.

Nikon has no significant software products, Linux or
otherwise.

like hell they don't. what do you call these? and don't forget their
previous versions that have been discontinued.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Imaging-Software/index.page

they also made a 'capital investment in nik software,' who have been
making some very interesting products for many, many years.

http://www.niksoftware.com/company/u...pany/pressroom
/nikcoop.shtml
Old July 6th 10, 09:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

nospam wrote:
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

linux users might benefit but the rest of the users (which is vastly
greater in number) will lose.

resources are limited. if a company puts their efforts into supporting
linux, that means they'll have less resources available for developing
other features that will benefit a larger number of users.

You don't understand the significance of Open Source...

yes i do, and it's even less likely that a company is going to release
something open source, particularly a camera company where keeping
secrets from one's competitors is key. there is absolutely no way that
these companies would ever open source the 'secret sauce.' in some
cases, they *can't*.

You *clearly* don't know what you are talking about.

you have a nikon camera, they don't support linux but you bought it
anyway.

Nikon has no significant software products, Linux or
otherwise.

like hell they don't. what do you call these? and don't forget their
previous versions that have been discontinued.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Imaging-Software/index.page

they also made a 'capital investment in nik software,' who have been
making some very interesting products for many, many years.

http://www.niksoftware.com/company/u...pany/pressroom
/nikcoop.shtml

Like I said... nothing significant...

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old July 6th 10, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

Nikon has no significant software products, Linux or
otherwise.

like hell they don't. what do you call these? and don't forget their
previous versions that have been discontinued.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Imaging-Software/index.page

Like I said... nothing significant...

actually they're very significant, which you might realize if you ever
tried using any of them.

like you say, "You *clearly* don't know what you are talking about."
Old July 6th 10, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"ray" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:43:15 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:

See other reply. Canon makes things other than cameras - e.g. printers.
Until they show a little Linux support, I prefer to ignore all their
offerings. I don't expect you or anyone else to be with me - but that is
my reason.

I can almost understand your stance, it's similar to some friends I
have that are vegetarian and refuse to go in to McDonalds .

But I'm curious about one thing is it that Canon OS doesn't support Linux
or is it that Linux don't support Canon ?

Old July 6th 10, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_5_]

wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 06:33:42 -0500, Neil wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 14:03:10 +0000, ray wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 01:10:42 -0700, james wrote:

SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good
reason why high end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems
like a turn-off, not a feature.

I think one significant reason is that many purchasers are repeat
buyers - they already HAVE CF cards. IMHO - best route is to make
a camera capable of using CF and SD.ÐøO$

Who can afford A Canon eos 1Ds mk111 ? My pension won't run to it.

Mine would, but I eschew Canon.

Because?

Because they have no support for Linux, I choose to not use their
products and support folks who do.- Hide quoted text -

What Canon software do you really need to use? I use Adobe to import
RAW files from the camera, through the rest of the post-processing. Not
sure how well Photoshop works on Linux, but there is always GIMP. My
point is, though, you don't need to run any Canon software if you have a
Canon camera.anÖ=)*7

I use Fedora 13 as my linux distro of choice and find that Raw Studio
does all I want for a high percentage of photos, for the rest I find that
the Gimp has all(and more) of the controls I need. I only use windows for
a few newsgroups and because my wife doesn't like how I have my window
manager (E16) in linux I copy my photos over here so she can see them.

--
Neil - reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.
Old July 6th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 23:36:12 -0700, nospam wrote:

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

linux users might benefit but the rest of the users (which is vastly
greater in number) will lose.

resources are limited. if a company puts their efforts into supporting
linux, that means they'll have less resources available for developing
other features that will benefit a larger number of users.

You don't understand the significance of Open Source...

yes i do, and it's even less likely that a company is going to release
something open source, particularly a camera company where keeping
secrets from one's competitors is key. there is absolutely no way that
these companies would ever open source the 'secret sauce.' in some
cases, they *can't*.

B.S. What's the value in keeping 'proprietary secrets' that everyone in
the industry already knows? It's not necessary for a company to spend R&D
time on Linux - all they need to do is release the specs and someone will
write it for them - that simple.

you have a nikon camera, they don't support linux but you bought it
anyway.

Nikon has no significant software products, Linux or otherwise.

like hell they don't. what do you call these? and don't forget their
previous versions that have been discontinued.

They also don't make products that, outside of MS, are boat anchors or
doorstops.