How many Smart Cards out there have pictures on them that can't be read?

Old December 4th 16, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default How many Smart Cards out there have pictures on them that can't be read?

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Once the format they are in can't be read easily, they might just be
destroyed.

then don't put it in an unreadable format. duh.

What format is going to be unreadable in 20 years?

none.

worst case, you create a vm to run the then 20 year old software (i.e.,
today's software) and then export to jpeg/tiff or some other interim
format.

Try the Rosetta stone.

whoosh.
Old December 4th 16, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-12-04 16:26:14 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

While the library does allow me to "check out" eBooks, I'm admittedly
old-school and like reading actual books.

ebooks are actual books, just as digital photos are actual photos.

ebooks are in no way books.

they absolutely are books.

They are text stored in digital form

not just text, but photos, illustrations, artwork, graphs and more.

the content of an ebook is *identical* in every way to a paper book,
except that one is digital and one is analog. it doesn't matter which
one you read.

There are different experiences when it comes to dealing with physical
books and ebooks. While some ebooks can be a different and convenient
experience, for many of us, myself included, there is nothing like
having one's hands on a physical print edition.

That said, along with my extensive and eclectic personal library of
hardcover and paperbacks of all manner of types and subject, I have
several ebooks via both iBooks and Kindle which are presented in a way
impossible to replicate in print.

The ability to add nondestructive bookmarks, notes and highlights is
actually quite nice. I have for example; Ansel Adams in The National
Parks and Ansel Adams in Color available to me on my desktop, my iPad,
and my iPhone.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_325.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_326.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_328.jpg

From "Ansel Adams in Color"
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_329.jpg

Savageduck

Old December 4th 16, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-12-04 14:49, Tony Cooper wrote:

As far as I'm personally concerned, a manual or a technical
publication is best viewed electronically. Fiction and non-fiction
that is neither a technical publication nor a instructional manual is
best read with a real book in hand.

I know a lot of people who prefer e-books for their fiction and I see a
lot more people reading from kindle (and the like) devices on travel.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
Old December 4th 16, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-12-04 14:57, J. Clarke wrote:

Neat thing about an ebook is that I can read it
in bed with the lights off and when I nod off it
turns itself off.

Hmm - does it stay on the page? Sometimes I have a dickens finding
where I left off.

Old December 4th 16, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-12-04 19:57:47 +0000, "J. Clarke" said:

In article lgs84ct8ffqmcv9a1lmhn02u2cl6843a4v@
4ax.com, says...

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 09:09:17 -0800, Savageduck

On 2016-12-04 16:26:14 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

While the library does allow me to "check out" eBooks, I'm admittedly
old-school and like reading actual books.

ebooks are actual books, just as digital photos are actual photos.

ebooks are in no way books.

they absolutely are books.

They are text stored in digital form

not just text, but photos, illustrations, artwork, graphs and more.

the content of an ebook is *identical* in every way to a paper book,
except that one is digital and one is analog. it doesn't matter which
one you read.

There are different experiences when it comes to dealing with physical
books and ebooks. While some ebooks can be a different and convenient
experience, for many of us, myself included, there is nothing like
having one's hands on a physical print edition.

This is a concept beyond nospam's comprehension ability.

As far as I'm personally concerned, a manual or a technical
publication is best viewed electronically. Fiction and non-fiction
that is neither a technical publication nor a instructional manual is
best read with a real book in hand.

Neat thing about an ebook is that I can read it
in bed with the lights off and when I nod off it
turns itself off.

The problem with using any type of reading as a sleep aid, be it
digital or analog, is poor absorbtion of any of the content regardless
of the subject matter.

Savageduck

Old December 4th 16, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phillip Helbig[_2_]

In article , Alan Browne

On 2016-12-04 14:57, J. Clarke wrote:

Neat thing about an ebook is that I can read it
in bed with the lights off and when I nod off it
turns itself off.

Hmm - does it stay on the page? Sometimes I have a dickens finding
where I left off.

I have a tolino, which reads ePub (and PDF and TXT, though of course
ePub is best for eBooks). I own what I download, so no Kindle issues of
content being leased, being changed or deleted after downloaded, being
tied to a particular vendor, etc.

Yes, it stays on the page. It has dictionaries in several languages,
with the language of the book the default, so I can look up things. It
also has several bilingual dictionaries. One can annotate the text.
Newer versions are waterproof. Has enough memory for more books than
you could read in a lifetime.

The only reason not to use it is for books with high-resolution and/or
colour illustrations, but even there one could read an ebook on, say, a
tablet. So the only real need is for books larger than any screen you
have, which have such illustrations.

Old December 4th 16, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-12-04 20:41:56 +0000, "J. Clarke" said:

In article 2016120412372150957-savageduck1
@REMOVESPAMmecom, savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}
me.com says...

On 2016-12-04 16:26:14 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Then don't read something you need to absorb.

Especially when red-eye fatigue has you on the edge of nodding off.

Savageduck

Old December 4th 16, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

While the library does allow me to "check out" eBooks, I'm admittedly
old-school and like reading actual books.

ebooks are actual books, just as digital photos are actual photos.

ebooks are in no way books.

they absolutely are books.

They are text stored in digital form

not just text, but photos, illustrations, artwork, graphs and more.

the content of an ebook is *identical* in every way to a paper book,
except that one is digital and one is analog. it doesn't matter which
one you read.

There are different experiences when it comes to dealing with physical
books and ebooks. While some ebooks can be a different and convenient
experience, for many of us, myself included, there is nothing like
having one's hands on a physical print edition.

This is a concept beyond nospam's comprehension ability.

all you can do is attack.

obviously there's a difference in the user experience. i never said
otherwise.

yet again, you lie about what i didn't say just to argue. disgusting.

As far as I'm personally concerned, a manual or a technical
publication is best viewed electronically. Fiction and non-fiction
that is neither a technical publication nor a instructional manual is
best read with a real book in hand.

that's your own opinion, not that of others.

many people prefer ebooks for all sorts of reasons and you don't get to
decide that for them.
Old December 4th 16, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-12-04 15:37, Savageduck wrote:

The problem with using any type of reading as a sleep aid, be it digital
or analog, is poor absorbtion of any of the content regardless of the
subject matter.

Only the last page or so. You can rewind with your eyes. It's not,
BTW, a sleep aid, but more of a pleasant way to be interrupted by your
SO at critical junctures of the dark and stormy night.

Old December 4th 16, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 11:26:14 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

While the library does allow me to "check out" eBooks, I'm admittedly
old-school and like reading actual books.

ebooks are actual books, just as digital photos are actual photos.

ebooks are in no way books.

they absolutely are books.

They are text stored in digital form

not just text, but photos, illustrations, artwork, graphs and more.

the content of an ebook is *identical* in every way to a paper book,
except that one is digital and one is analog. it doesn't matter which
one you read.

if you are going to claim that ebooks are not real books, then you
would also have to claim that digital photos are not real photos, that
digital music is not real music, that digital movies are not real
movies, that email correspondence is not real correspondence. that
would, of course, be ludicrous.

If books and ebooks are the same why is it necessary to distinguish
one from the other by using different words (as you did) to identify
them?

--- snip ---

Eric Stevens