HOYA SWALLOWS PENTAX !

Old December 27th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default End of an Era

William Graham wrote:
"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:46:14 -0800, "William Graham"
wrote:

As I say, we here in the US are
individual-transportation oriented, and we will find a way to continue in
that mode, even if we end up each driving our own electric scooters....

You really, really don't get it, do you? (Note - no smiley)

No. - But I am waiting with baited breath for you to tell me exactly what it
is that you think I don't get....

Are you really sitting at your computer with a worm wriggling on your
tongue?

Old December 27th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Ron Hunter" wrote

I visited Philly, once. Got out of town as fast as [I could]

Smell, I didn't notice. Rudest city I have ever been in though.

Funny how city slogans tell you just what is wrong with the city:

Cleveland:
"Best Location in the Nation"
Should be: "Unarguably one of the worst locations in the Nation"

"Cleveland Rocks"
Should be: "There's No Surf in Cleveland"

New York:

"I Love NY"
Should be: "You don't want to live here"

"The City that Never Sleeps"
Should be: "You Will Get No Sleep Because of the Noise"

Philadelphia:
"The City of Brotherly Love"
Should be: "The City of Cain and Able"

Los Vegas:
"What Happens Here, Stays Here"
Should be: "Your Money Stays Here"

Old December 27th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Nicholas O. Lindan

If the gist of this is to tell America that it is
squandering the world's resources:

o America already knows it;
o America knows it ****es everyone else off, it doesn't care;
o America is enjoying every minute of it.

No reason wasting bandwidth stating what is obvious. The
more Europe whines the more America's schadenfreude grows.

Back to OT:

"Pentax is dead."
"Long live Pentax."

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.nolindan.com/da/index.htm

Old December 27th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
William Graham

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
nk.net...
If the gist of this is to tell America that it is
squandering the world's resources:

o America already knows it;
o America knows it ****es everyone else off, it doesn't care;
o America is enjoying every minute of it.

No reason wasting bandwidth stating what is obvious. The
more Europe whines the more America's schadenfreude grows.

Besides, I object to the use of the word, "squander". Just because I am
using the world's resources, that doesn't mean I have to be squandering
them. Perhaps my use of them is legitimate. After all, If I don't use them,
then someone else probably will. Also, since I pay fair market value for
every resource, how can you say that I am "squandering" them? If you think
they are more valuable then, by all means, their purveyors can always raise
their prices until the point is reached where I will no longer purchase
their products. And, in any case, anyone else may outbid me at any time for
whatever it is that think is being squandered.
I live in, and believe in, a free market economy. Whatever I have is for
sale at any time to the highest bidder, and I hold no manufactured item that
I possess too holy to be replaced by a new one, or a more updated version.
If people have been selling me gasoline at 1/2 the European price for the
last 40 years, whose fault is that? - Certainly not mine. I suggest that
they offer it to me at twice the price. Perhaps then I will buy less of
it.......

Old December 27th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Rebecca Ore

In article ,
"William Graham" wrote:

To believe such a thing shows lack of basic
reasoning ability........

The refusal to consider alternative means of transportation shows that
people use their brains for making excuses much more than they use them
for making process.
Old December 27th 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Rebecca Ore

In article ,
Ron Hunter wrote:

I find the whole idea of using public transportation VERY
restrictive, and confining.

I find the whole idea of being chained to a car so insane I just think
car people must be nuts or victims of advertising.

Around Thanksgiving, I was in NYC and the public trans there is
infinitely more convenient than owning a car even in rural parts of
America.
Old December 27th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Rebecca Ore

In article ,
Ron Hunter wrote:

Rebecca Ore wrote:
In article ,
Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:57:15 GMT, Rebecca Ore
wrote:

The infrastructure of the US is auto-centric.
Yeah. It's going to come as an even bigger shock to you guys. But
you'll cope, as we all will have to.

I'm moving to England if I can. Otherwise, I'm staying in Philadelphia,
a wonderful place separated from Pittsburgh by Northern Alabama.

I visited Philly, once. Got out of town as fast as my rented car would
carry me, then avoided the city when I returned to the airport. How CAN
you stand the smell?

I used to live in NYC and in rural Virginia. The stench of rural life
beats any city any day.
Old December 27th 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Arnor Baldvinsson

Hi Ron,

It is freedom-centric. Most US residents just want to go where they want
to go, WHEN they want to go and don't want to wait on a bus, cab, or
subway. I find the whole idea of using public transportation VERY
restrictive, and confining.

That's because the public transportation system here is horrible. I don't
see much difference waiting on a bus than waiting in a car. At least in a
bus or a train I can read, work or do something but when driving I'm driving
and that's the end of it. Don't have that freedom here and I for one miss
it. I lived in Denmark for 3 years and they have one of the best public
transportation system in the world. I didn't own a car there and had no
reason to. But the "problem" is that you may actually have to move your
butt from place A to place B - as it getting up and walk for 5 minutes every
day, which seems to be a mortal sin hereg

I have fun every time I go to the grochery storey and there is a line of
lazies waiting to grab the nearest spot to park. I just enter the end of
the line and sit on the horn until the idiots start distributing into more
"distant" slots and actually might have to walk 2 or 3 meters further. I
may have saved a heartattack or two by nowbg
--
Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Old December 27th 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Rebecca Ore wrote:
In article ,
Ron Hunter wrote:

I find the whole idea of using public transportation VERY
restrictive, and confining.

I find the whole idea of being chained to a car so insane I just think
car people must be nuts or victims of advertising.

Around Thanksgiving, I was in NYC and the public trans there is
infinitely more convenient than owning a car even in rural parts of
America.

You are testimony to the the theory that living in NYC tends to make one
somewhat less than rational.

Owning a car in NYC (and many large cities) is not practical. However,
NOT owning a car in places like Beeville, Tx. is worse than not
practical, it is probably fatal unless one can hire a full time
caregiver. My sister lives 6 miles from the nearest grocery store,
Doctor, pharmacy, etc. She is 76 years old. I doubt she would be able
to ride a bicycle 12 miles to get groceries, or to take her brother in
law who lives across the highway to his many doctor's appointments in
Corpus Christi, or San Antonio.

The US is a very large country, and many millions of people live in
areas where public transportation doesn't exist. I was 23 years old
before I had my first Taxi ride. I was driving at 14. Lifestyles are
different depending on conditions. What makes sense in NYC isn't likely
to make so much sense in rural Pennsylvania.
Old December 27th 06, 10:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
[...]

I bet that really makes you popular! BTW, give some thought to this.
There are some of us who can't walk for 5 minutes. Even so, I don't
wait for a parking place to open up, I just park a bit farther away. I
really get annoyed when I am walking from a distant parking place and
pass a handicapped space and see some obviously able-bodied man or woman
whip into the space, and dash into the store for a pack of cigarettes.
I hope they remember that when they are old, or ill, and NEED one of
those spaces, and some idiot is doing the same thing they did.