Nikon PictureProject Renames JPG Create Date After Transfer

Old December 28th 05, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Nikon PictureProject Renames JPG Create Date After Transfer

I have two cameras, the Nikon D70 and Coolpix P2. When I transfer
images from the D70 to my PC using PictureProject v1.6 (formerly used
v1.0), the images creation date will *not* be renamed to the date that
the transfer occurred. However, when I transfer images or movies with
the P2, the creation date of the file changes ***to the date that the
file was transferred***. I do not want the file to be manipulated in
this way because retaining the original shooting date in the files
properties is required for the work that I'm doing.

Additionally, I recently rebuilt my PC and found that the creation date
of the many of the D70 files that I backed up from my HDD and restored
now have a changed date to the day of the restore.

Luckily, I always name my files with the shooting date. Is there a way
to restore the original file properties date to it's authentically
created date? Does anyone know why the D70 and P2 would interact
differantly with the same Picture Project transfer methods, and how to
prevent a file properties change in the future?

Old December 28th 05, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I use PP with my Coolpix 8800 and it does *not* change the date of the
file.

- Barry

Old December 28th 05, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Billy" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Is the correct date retained in the EXIF data? Where is it that you are
looking at the dates and noticing the change?

Just a hunch here -- If you're looking at the files in Windows
Explorer, the date in the "Date Created" column will be the date the
files were transferred to the PC. The "Date Modified" column displays
the original shooting date (which should also be in the EXIF of the
image). In Windows Explorer, click View, then Choose Details... and add
the "Date Modified" column.

Julie
Old December 29th 05, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I'm still at work, but I'll check this when I get home. I remember
looking in the properties of the file at created and modified dates and
they appear differant than when the file was *really* created - so I
suspect that the EXIF will match one of these.

Old December 29th 05, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

As an alternative, AttributeMagic from elwinsoft.com in WA is a single
purposed program to edit and lock the created and modified dates in
Windows. I find it necessary for all scanned images' properties. e.g., my
mother's prints of New Guinea in WWII can reflect a 1945, not 2005, date,
once committed to the HD. But other posters indicate your problems are
anomolies of settings within PP, so can be cured within PP, without the
clutter of my solution.
Regards,
Theo

Old December 29th 05, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks All. It tunrs out that I was completely incorrect. The file
dates are listed correctly - I was looking at the last accessed date or
something. I also noticed that either a Dell driver app or PP (don't
think it is native to Windows) lists a "Picture Taken" column in Win
Explorer, that is very helpful for identifying this information. You
need to scroll left or enable to field on some screens. I'd really like
to lock down these files now though, after this "scare". I may try this
apllication that Theo recommends but can't I make the file attributes
"Read Only" through NTFS security or Windows Explorer GUI attributes to
ensure these file are never modified?

Old December 30th 05, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Can't you write the files to a CD?

In Windows Explorer, right click on the column headings. You can chose
which columns to display. If you select "more" you will see a few more
headings some of which get data from the EXIF in the files.

--
Joan
http://joan.colley.name:85

ups.com...