How To Use a Normal Lens (50mm for 35mm film) to Shoot Portrait?

Old January 19th 05, 05:55 AM
narke

Default How To Use a Normal Lens (50mm for 35mm film) to Shoot Portrait?

Hi Folks,

I by far got only one lens, a CZ 50mm. Using it to shoot portraits, is
it possible to get good results? I like to hear some advice on
anything around this case, about composition, subject distance, enlarge
and so on.

And, is there any free gallery about this kind works on-line? Maybe I
can learn by example.

For printed gallery, I heard the big man Cartier Bresson, which one of
his book is suit for my purpose?

Thanks in advance.

-
narke

Old January 19th 05, 07:35 AM
zeitgeist

I by far got only one lens, a CZ 50mm. Using it to shoot portraits, is
it possible to get good results? I like to hear some advice on
anything around this case, about composition, subject distance, enlarge
and so on.

depends on your definition of portrait.

but if you are talking about a close up head and shoulders then there are a
few things you can do.

keep the 'plane' of the face parallel with the film plane. imagine a sheet
of plastic on the face with a hole for the nose, it would rest on the chin
cheekbones and forehead (note: not really I know but work with me) The less
the head is out of true with the camera the less distortion.

center the head and crop

don't shoot so close up, if you use a heavy vignette you can move back yet
keep the concept of a close up going. shoot half lengths, full lengths.
Heck I use a wide angle for family portraits on the beach, the subjects
might just be small compositional elements within the landscape but hey, it
helps sell wall prints.

if you do move back, avoid any pose that puts hands or objects in front of
the face, IE: a typical obvious distortion is having the subject sit with
one knee up and the hands clasping it, sometimes the hands would be as large
as the face.

Old January 19th 05, 07:44 PM
me

"narke" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Folks,

I by far got only one lens, a CZ 50mm. Using it to shoot portraits, is
it possible to get good results? I like to hear some advice on
anything around this case, about composition, subject distance, enlarge
and so on.

Possible yes but don't get too close.

http://photographytips.com/page.cfm/374

For printed gallery, I heard the big man Cartier Bresson, which one of
his book is suit for my purpose?

Go to the library. IMO CB was not primarily a portrait photographer but
YMMV.

Thanks in advance.
-
narke

Sign,
me

PS: Something looks fishy?

Old February 15th 05, 07:50 PM
J Race

"narke" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Folks,

I by far got only one lens, a CZ 50mm. Using it to shoot portraits, is
it possible to get good results? I like to hear some advice on
anything around this case, about composition, subject distance, enlarge
and so on.

And, is there any free gallery about this kind works on-line? Maybe I
can learn by example.

For printed gallery, I heard the big man Cartier Bresson, which one of
his book is suit for my purpose?

Thanks in advance.

-
narke

How To Use a 50mm Lens to Shoot Portrait? narke 35mm Photo Equipment 42 January 26th 05 12:40 AM
Lenses for D70 Digital Photography 3 January 20th 05 05:01 PM
50mm "normal" lens with digital SLR? Chris Brown Digital Photography 5 June 27th 04 06:58 PM
Insane new TSA rule for film inspection [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 94 June 23rd 04 05:17 AM
Telephoto Binocular Comparison foto Photographing Nature 21 December 26th 03 03:27 PM