Lighten Spotone area?

Old April 10th 04, 03:07 PM
lib

Default Lighten Spotone area?

I spotted a fiber-based portrait [B+W] with Spotone and one area [about the
size of a small pencil eraser] is too dark. How can I lighten that area
before I try to re-color with Marshall Oils? Thanx

Old April 10th 04, 04:13 PM
Timo Labrenz

"lib" schrieb:

I spotted a fiber-based portrait [B+W] with Spotone and one area
[about the size of a small pencil eraser] is too dark. How can I
lighten that area before I try to re-color with Marshall Oils?

I've never tried it myself, but a book I've just read recommends
Farmer's Reducer. Might be a bit hard on such a small spot.
No way of enlarging it again and dodging the area? I know it's not
gonna be easy with such a small spot, but maybe it'll work.

Timo
Old April 10th 04, 04:50 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"lib" wrote

I spotted a fiber-based portrait [B+W] with Spotone and one area [about the
size of a small pencil eraser] is too dark. How can I lighten that area

Wet it down with a drop of water, smoodge the water around with a brush and
blot with a paper towel. Repeat as needed. It will come off.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old April 10th 04, 11:46 PM
Timo Labrenz

Timo Labrenz schrieb:
"lib" schrieb:

I spotted a fiber-based portrait [B+W] with Spotone and one area
[about the size of a small pencil eraser] is too dark. How can I
lighten that area before I try to re-color with Marshall Oils?

[my weird answer]

Sorry, I think I got you completely wrong, there. For some reason, I
thought something in the area not previously spottet is too dark...
*looks embarrassed*

Timo
Old April 11th 04, 02:00 AM
Frank Calidonna

Go to a drugstore or place where they sell ladies make-up. Buy some small
make-up sponges. Anytime you get too much Spotone on a print let it dry. Then
put pure ammonia on the sponge, squeeze it to get most out and GENTLY wipe the
offending dark spot. Ammonia will remove Spotone. After it is dry try spotting
again.

In case you don't know never use Spotone right from the bottle. Too easy to put
on too much. Pour some in a white saucer and let it sit overnight to evaporate.
Then moisten a brush and work with the dry Spotone. Much more control over
density.

Frank Rome, NY

Old April 11th 04, 02:00 AM

In , on 04/10/04
at 10:46 PM, Timo Labrenz said:

I spotted a fiber-based portrait [B+W] with Spotone and one area
[about the size of a small pencil eraser] is too dark. How can I
lighten that area before I try to re-color with Marshall Oils?

Try a William Mortenson method: holding a new razor blade almost paralle
to the surface of the print, scrape it very lightly until you get the
color out.

-
les clark / edgewater, nj / usa

Old April 11th 04, 04:03 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"lib" wrote in message ...
I spotted a fiber-based portrait [B+W] with Spotone and one area [about the
size of a small pencil eraser] is too dark. How can I lighten that area
before I try to re-color with Marshall Oils? Thanx

Dilute ammonia solution. And use pencil next time.
Old April 11th 04, 03:03 PM
lib

Thanx for all of the suggestions. I will let you know what worked best for
me. Worst case is a re-print and start over on the hand color- Lib

Old April 12th 04, 12:51 AM
Alexis Neel

"lib" wrote in message ...
I spotted a fiber-based portrait [B+W] with Spotone and one area [about the
size of a small pencil eraser] is too dark. How can I lighten that area
before I try to re-color with Marshall Oils? Thanx

Rubbing alchohol, either the 75% (?) or 99%, depending on how dark it
is. Start with the 75% first since it has a bit more water. just
apply a little bit and lightly rud with a clean, white cloth. If that
doesn't work, use the 99%.

Alexis

www.alexisneel.com
Old April 12th 04, 03:33 AM
Randall Ainsworth

Rubbing alchohol, either the 75% (?) or 99%, depending on how dark it
is. Start with the 75% first since it has a bit more water. just
apply a little bit and lightly rud with a clean, white cloth. If that
doesn't work, use the 99%.

I doubt it. Ammonia is the recommended method.