Pondering purchase of a Graflex Press camera

Old May 30th 04, 07:26 AM
klink

Default Pondering purchase of a Graflex Press camera

A co-worker told me a relative of his wants to sell a Graflex Press
camera. He (the relative) is a retired photographer. I think he
purchased the Graflex in the sixties or late fifties. It was used as a
studio camera. I know zilch about large format photography and even
less about Graflex cameras. Is there a place on the net where I can
find ballpark values? I have no idea what I should offer.

Galland

Old May 30th 04, 09:54 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 5/29/2004 11:26 PM klink spake thus:

A co-worker told me a relative of his wants to sell a Graflex Press
camera. He (the relative) is a retired photographer. I think he
purchased the Graflex in the sixties or late fifties. It was used as a
studio camera. I know zilch about large format photography and even
less about Graflex cameras. Is there a place on the net where I can
find ballpark values? I have no idea what I should offer.

Yes: one obvious place is eBay. Look for Crown Graphics and Speed Graphics
(both 4x5 press cameras made by Graflex*). I wouldn't take prices there as
gospel, but they should give you a pretty good idea of what a fair price is.\

*-unless you want the "baby" Graphics made for 120 rollfilm.

--
Civilization is just a temporary failure of entropy.

- Christine Nelson

Old May 31st 04, 06:37 AM
Norman Worth

Press cameras are a good starting place for large format photography. The
only real disadvantage is the limited movements they have, but what they
have is sufficient for most field work. Otherwise they are rugged and
dependable.

Old May 31st 04, 01:28 PM
EZela57383

Checkout Graflex.org.

This is an excellent site, with a tremendous amount of interest, activity and
user support. These are great people that will help you with anything you need
to know about the format, cameras and accessories. You will be surprised at the
amount of interest and expertise. I just purchased one (Graflex Super Graphic)
and I have to change my entire lifestyle just to put this 4x5 camera/format to
use (loading of film takes an evening) but my interest in photography has been
revitalized.
Old May 31st 04, 03:21 PM
dr bob

"Norman Worth" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Press cameras are a good starting place for large format photography. The
only real disadvantage is the limited movements they have, but what they
have is sufficient for most field work. Otherwise they are rugged and
dependable.

AND you can fix them with a screwdriver and pliers. Try that with a d-----l.

Truly, dr bob.