[SI] Sports/Games Comments

Old December 10th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Russell D.

Default [SI] Sports/Games Comments

This is kinda late. Sorry. Been way busy.

While, technically, there were no outstanding photos in this mandate, I
enjoyed most of them. Here are some thoughts:

Games_Alan_Browne_2.jpg - Go Kart. I see what Alan is after here and it
sorta works but I think would have worked better with more of a side
shot. This shot gives me the feel of up and down motion (which there may
very well be) as opposed to horizontal motion.

SI sports - Cycling by Calvin Sambrook.jpg - OK, this shot makes me
wince. I used to be an avid cyclist (and still do when I can) and have
never mounted a bike that way. Great shot though. Awesome timing. The
best shot of the mandate.

SI sports - Diving by Calvin Sambrook.jpg - I love the contrast in this
shot. Cool composition. I like it a lot.

SI sports - Swimming by Calvin Sambrook.jpg - Too grainy and blurry.
Looks like it is about 2% of the full frame.

SI_Games_Alan_Browne_I.jpg - Chess and clock. Cool shot. The clock
really makes this photo for me.

SPO_TimConway2_old.jpg - Old couple and puzzle. This isn't a great photo
but I enjoy it because I like the couple working on the puzzle together.
And I enjoy puzzles. Puzzles have been a Christmas tradition for me
since I was a small boy.

SPO_TimConway3_old.jpg - Multiple exposure? Odd photo.

SPO_TimConway_old.jpg - Golf. OK photo that should be cropped tighter.

I'll comment of my photos with the comments made on my photos (assuming
any comments were made).

Sport_Troy_Piggins_1.jpg - Cricket. Nice shot. Great timing. I don't
know how that guy hit the ball. His eye is not on the ball. I've never
seen a cricket match. Seems dull but that's what the ignorant say about
baseball.

Sports-Bullseye-TonyCooper.jpg - Sky diver. I like this shot. Nice
timing. And the guy is a photographer. And I have sky dived.

Sports-Checkers-TonyCooper.jpg - This photo has an HDR feel to it and
I'm not a big fan of HDR, but it seems to work here. I'm not sure why. I
like the photo.

Sports-Games_Savageduck-01.jpg - Technically not a great photo but the
little girls expression makes the photo. The game of tag makes the mandate.

Sports-Games_Savageduck-02.jpg - Stadium. Yup, a stadium. Seem a bit
over saturated.

Sports-LawnBowling-TonyCooper.jpg - Nice photo. The tracks in the "lawn"
are interesting, especially the ball tracks.

Sports-OldFarts-TonyCooper.jpg - I like Old Farts. I'm slowly becoming
one. Not a great photo. Just one that fun to look at.

bowser_sg-1.jpg - Cross country. I like this photo a lot. Why all the
red jerseys? I hope those two kids didn't get trampled too bad. My
nephew just finished the season as the number two rated freshman (HS)
cross country runner in the state of Idaho. Great composition, BTW.

bowser_sg-2.jpg - Football catch. Nice catch. 12 is going to get his
butt chewed.

bowser_sg-3.jpg - Football dive. The background of this shot is kind of
busy but I like it. The reaction of those four kids in the stands adds
great interest. Would probably have been a "better" photo if the diving
football had been more isolated but I don't think the photo would have
been as interesting.

sports-dudley-hanks.JPG - Hockey. I don't like hockey and this photo
would have little interest for me but for some reason the tilt of the
photo makes it interesting. That said, I don't get how Dudley gets a
photo like this. That part is cool.

Thanks to all for your contributions and thanks to Bowser for putting it
together.

Russell
Old December 10th 09, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 21:18:23 -0700, "Russell D." wrote:

Sport_Troy_Piggins_1.jpg - Cricket. Nice shot. Great timing. I don't
know how that guy hit the ball. His eye is not on the ball. I've never
seen a cricket match. Seems dull but that's what the ignorant say about
baseball.

I've been to two cricket games. I watched one for about an hour in
Henley-On-Thames (UK) while a 9 year-old boy explained what was going
on. After an hour, I left. The exciting part must have come later.

I went to a match here in Orlando where a visiting team from Pakistan
played a local side of former Burmudians. The crowd was quite
boisterous and the food vendors provided some interesting dishes, but
I'm not sure what type of animal meat was served. As for the game
itself, the exciting part must have happened after I left.

The only players on the field that seemed to be athletes were the
bowlers. Those long run-ups and the acrobatic wind-ups and deliveries
seem quite exhausting.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 10th 09, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_33_]

* tony cooper wrote :
[...]

There's different formats of the game.

The slow paced one, test cricket, is the one where they all wear
white and use a red ball. The match can go for days. At the
end of all that, it can still end in a draw believe it or not.
At these games the spectators tend to be pretty interesting -
getting drunk, cool chants, sledging players/umpires/other
spectators. I don't like watching these games really, and reckon
they'll eventually be phased out of the game.

One day matches came in the 1980's (I think). They wear
colourful uniforms. Because the game is shorter, they tend to be
faster paced and more big hits. Bit more exciting. That'd be
the one from the photo you posted.

But the newest format is 20/20 cricket. They only bowl 20 overs
each. Very fast, big hits, great spectator format. These are
good fun.

There's other formats like beach cricket and so on, but the above
are the biggest ones.

I'm not a huge cricket fan myself. Much prefer all of the
football codes, netball, tennis. Even golf. Over summer I might
leave the TV on during the day and keep an eye on the score as I
walk past if there's a big test game on, like the traditional
Boxing Day Test.

The photo I took for the SI was at the Corporate Games, my
company entered a team for the first time. I had never played
cricket before. Have played softball and tennis, so had the
hand/eye coordination, but suspect my style was a little funny.
Still, finished "not out" and had hit a few fours/boundaries. I
felt good.

--
Troy Piggins
Old December 10th 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 21:18:23 -0700, "Russell D." wrote:

This is kinda late. Sorry. Been way busy.

While, technically, there were no outstanding photos in this mandate, I
enjoyed most of them. Here are some thoughts:

bowser_sg-1.jpg - Cross country. I like this photo a lot. Why all the
red jerseys? I hope those two kids didn't get trampled too bad. My
nephew just finished the season as the number two rated freshman (HS)
cross country runner in the state of Idaho. Great composition, BTW.

Both teams use red for their color so it makes the photo really
bright, no? Those two guys were OK, but during the girls race one of
them did get stomped.

bowser_sg-2.jpg - Football catch. Nice catch. 12 is going to get his
butt chewed.

He did, the his team took a beating. The receiver's mom made me
lasagna. Good one, too.

bowser_sg-3.jpg - Football dive. The background of this shot is kind of
busy but I like it. The reaction of those four kids in the stands adds
great interest. Would probably have been a "better" photo if the diving
football had been more isolated but I don't think the photo would have
been as interesting.

I hate the background, but that's Gillette Stadium for you. I think I
like the shot not so much for it's creative or technical quality, but
because of the game situation, which can't be conveyed in a photo.
I'll keep shooting.
Old December 10th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 09-12-09 23:18 , Russell D. wrote:
This is kinda late. Sorry. Been way busy.

While, technically, there were no outstanding photos in this mandate, I
enjoyed most of them. Here are some thoughts:

Games_Alan_Browne_2.jpg - Go Kart. I see what Alan is after here and it
sorta works but I think would have worked better with more of a side
shot. This shot gives me the feel of up and down motion (which there may
very well be) as opposed to horizontal motion.

Good observation. This was a city course so there were no unobstructed
views of the carts going horizontally that I could use. Would have been
too close up. From the corner where I was, this was the best shot.
See late posted version just added to the SI.

SI_Games_Alan_Browne_I.jpg - Chess and clock. Cool shot. The clock
really makes this photo for me.

Thanks. A couple errors in there as I pointed out in another reply to
comments.

Old December 10th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Calvin Sambrook

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
See late posted version just added to the SI.

I think you made a good choice not to include that one alan. As ever your
composition is good and I like the decision to focus on just one competitor.
You did all the right things to get a good shot but I think you got unlucky
with the look of that one driver, he looks bored. It can't be his facial
expression as we can't really see it, I think it's something to do with his
arms, they imply a kind of relaxed posture.

The more I look at Games_Alan_Browne_2.jpg the more it grows on me. I
originally dismissed it almost out of hand but it certainly stands a second
look. It's really quite disturbing and I think that's because the sharp
parts of the image are so very sharp.

Old December 10th 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:06:10 -0000, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
m...
See late posted version just added to the SI.

I think you made a good choice not to include that one alan. As ever your
composition is good and I like the decision to focus on just one competitor.
You did all the right things to get a good shot but I think you got unlucky
with the look of that one driver, he looks bored.

You want an excited go-cart driver?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...-01-17-002.jpg

Or determined concentration?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...-01-17-013.jpg