Seeking photos.....

Old April 2nd 08, 12:33 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
jim

Default Seeking photos.....

"Neil Barker" wrote in message
says...

More to the point, I evidently have nobody here that has a clue where to
get
(steal, borrow or purchse) them either.

I can tell you exactly where you can PURCHASE them, but not where you
can either steal or 'borrow' them.

So why didn't you? (Just curious)

Jim

Old April 2nd 08, 03:22 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
Vance

On Apr 1, 3:33*pm, "jim" wrote:
"Neil Barker" wrote in message

says...

More to the point, I evidently have nobody here that has a clue where to
get
(steal, borrow or purchse) them either.

I can tell you exactly where you can PURCHASE them, but not where you
can either steal or 'borrow' them.

So why didn't you? (Just curious)

Jim

In my reply (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.p...hy/browse_frm/
thread/210f102ab6f3c210/c591cce0d7bdcea8?
hl=en&lnk=raot#c591cce0d7bdcea8) I identified some specific sources
and general types of resources that potentially have the images you
are looking for. Now, I thought my post was a help where you are so
obviously floundering. However, I am beginning to get the impression
of someone who is upset that nobody is doing their work for them.
That may be unfair and probably is. Sometimes, when a person is in
unfamiliar territory, especially one a vast as photography, you can
get lost and the idea that there is someone who will rescue you is
attractive. It's unlikely to happen, though, if, for no other reason,
than what your asking for is vague.

You have a poem that you want supported, enhanced, illustrated (or
something) by an image. That poem has an emotional tone developed and
presented through literary imagery. A visual image, to work in that
situation, has to stand in a valid metaphorical (or at least
analogical) relationship to the words. You are looking at combining a
visual art with its own syntax, grammar and semantics to another art
with a completely different syntax, grammar and semantics. Without
the experience of the poem, noboby is going to be able to do more than
recommend a genre and some potential sources for that genre to help
you. That's as good as it is likely to get.

Vance

Old April 2nd 08, 09:45 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
jim

"Vance" wrote in message
On Apr 1, 3:33 pm, "jim" wrote:
[...]

I must disagree somewhat. I have not been vague at all. I have plainly
stated that need images of people helpeing people, people helping animals or
just people caught doing a good deed. I'd like the photos to not be staged.

The project doesn't require anything more than that.

As far as being upset, perhaps I am. I really thought that finding
something was as simple as asking "has anyone seen this" and others would
reply with where (that's waht I do in other newsgroups). Instead, asking a
simple question of where I can find a simple sort of photo has been about as
fun and rewarding as bathing wild cats.

Instead of offering information if one has it, I have been subjected to
accusations of wanting others to do my work, wanting free photos, etc. -
NONE of which I ever said in my original post.

Would I take free photos? Only if they fit the project.

Would I pay for the right photos? Gladly.

At this point though, I think I will simply retire to the bath with a sack
full of wild cats for a relaxing bath.

jim

Old April 2nd 08, 10:32 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
Chris H

In message , jim
writes

I must disagree somewhat. I have not been vague at all.

You were somewhat.

I have plainly
stated that need images of people helpeing people, people helping animals or
just people caught doing a good deed. I'd like the photos to not be staged.

The project doesn't require anything more than that.

Yes it does. You came across as wanting free photos for something you
are publishing (implied, by omission, for money). You purely stated
what YOU wanted. You did not explain the project and say you were
prepared to collaborate with a photographer or pay for photos. So the
whole thing started of with every one at cross purposes.

A book of poetry and pictures is 50/50 poetry and picture. How would you
feel is some one said "I need some {industrial] poems to put in a book
of [industrial] pictures I am publishing.

Instead of offering information if one has it, I have been subjected to
accusations of wanting others to do my work, wanting free photos, etc. -
NONE of which I ever said in my original post.

It was implied by what you left out as much as what you said. Where
there was information missing people assumed.

Would I take free photos? Only if they fit the project.
Would I pay for the right photos? Gladly.

At this point though, I think I will simply retire to the bath with a sack
full of wild cats for a relaxing bath.

Don't go into publishing (I can say that as some one who is published
for both photos and the written word) You will need a MUCH thicker skin
than you appear to have.

Stop and think. Then re-post in a new thread in a day or so explaining
the PROJECT (not just what you need) and ask is anyone interested in
helping with the pictures needed for it. They will of course be fully
credited as the photographer etc.

You will have to explain the commercial terms of the book you are
producing.

/\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Old April 3rd 08, 06:52 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
jim

"Chris H" wrote in message
In message , jim
writes

I must disagree somewhat. I have not been vague at all.

You were somewhat.

HOW?

Here is my original post.

"I am seeking photos for a new project. I want all of the photos of people
helping that I can get.

The people can be helping people or animals. The "help" can be as simple as
helping someone across the street or as dangerous as dragging a fellow
soldier out of the line of fire. They can be of humans helping humans or
humans helping animals. They can even be of people just doing a good deed.

The essence of the picture should be that of a person giving of themselves
to help others.

It would seem that these photos abound...but I am having problems finding
them. If you have seen such images would you please post links to them
here.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

jim"

I have plainly
stated that need images of people helpeing people, people helping animals
or
just people caught doing a good deed. I'd like the photos to not be
staged.

The project doesn't require anything more than that.

Yes it does. You came across as wanting free photos for something you are
publishing (implied, by omission, for money).

Please point out the word "free" in the original post. I was open to
anything, hence no restrictions as to licensing were even mentioned in the
OP.

You purely stated what YOU wanted.

Of course I did! What should I have done....assummed I knew what you (or
"they") wanted and posted that? How the hell do I know what you want? And,
since the gist of the post *was* to locate what *I* wanted, I felt it
entirely appropriate to dwell on that subject matter.

Odd as it may be, I prefer to address the topic at hand in the posts that I
write.

You did not explain the project and say you were prepared to collaborate
with a photographer or pay for photos. So the whole thing started of with
every one at cross purposes.

That's because people read what they wanted to read and not what I typed.

Here's where I screwed up.....I *assumed* that asking for help would elicit
a logical response indicating where the needed photos would be found. I
further *assumed* that the poster of said information would have, or point
to, the requirements for the use of said photos.

I guess I assumed common, basic logic. For that I solemnly apologize.

A book of poetry and pictures is 50/50 poetry and picture. How would you
feel is some one said "I need some {industrial] poems to put in a book of
[industrial] pictures I am publishing.

If I had knowledge of where to find the needed items, I would simply post a
link - not go all schizoid assuming things not said and starting a useless
flame war over a simple (but not simple enough for the posters here) request
for images of people helping people.

Instead of offering information if one has it, I have been subjected to
accusations of wanting others to do my work, wanting free photos, etc. -
NONE of which I ever said in my original post.

It was implied by what you left out as much as what you said. Where there
was information missing people assumed.

I also did not state other irrelevant things - like what clothes (if any) I
would be wearing while doing this project. Nor did I discuss my religious
affilliations, views on poligamy, marital status, sexual preference or a
whole host of other non-issues.

If they are going to assume things not in evidence, why stop at imagining
"free" was implied? Why not go ahead and imagine that I "implied via
ommission" that am using the proceeds to try and free convicted child
molesters and support the Knights of the Klu Klux Klan and that I have a
secret death ray that I am using the proceeds to build and take over the
world?

When you (they) start arguing against arguments not presented, I guess that
really opens a whole can of worms for the voices in their heads to play
with, doesn't it?

Would I take free photos? Only if they fit the project.
Would I pay for the right photos? Gladly.

At this point though, I think I will simply retire to the bath with a sack
full of wild cats for a relaxing bath.

Don't go into publishing (I can say that as some one who is published for
both photos and the written word) You will need a MUCH thicker skin than
you appear to have.

My skin is plenty thick enough. What's lacking is my toplerance for
stupidy.

Stop and think. Then re-post in a new thread in a day or so explaining
the PROJECT (not just what you need) and ask is anyone interested in
helping with the pictures needed for it. They will of course be fully
credited as the photographer etc.

I have stated what I needed plainly. If they wish to sell or donate images
to the project, so be it. If not, that's fine too.

Time is too precious a thing to waste any more of it in this thread.

You will have to explain the commercial terms of the book you are
producing.

Only to those with the images that I am requesting.

Thanks for your views on this thread.

jim

Old April 3rd 08, 07:32 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
Chris H

In message , jim
writes

"Chris H" wrote in message
In message , jim
writes

I must disagree somewhat. I have not been vague at all.

You were somewhat.

HOW?

It has been explained to you by several people now accept that and move
on or you will **** off everyone and get no help at all.

DONT BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS

I have plainly
stated that need images of people helpeing people, people helping animals
or
just people caught doing a good deed. I'd like the photos to not be
staged.

The project doesn't require anything more than that.

Yes it does. You came across as wanting free photos for something you are
publishing (implied, by omission, for money).

Please point out the word "free" in the original post. I was open to
anything, hence no restrictions as to licensing were even mentioned in the
OP.

As I and everyone else has said it was implied by omission.

You purely stated what YOU wanted.

Of course I did! What should I have done....assummed I knew what you (or
"they") wanted and posted that? How the hell do I know what you want? And,
since the gist of the post *was* to locate what *I* wanted, I felt it
entirely appropriate to dwell on that subject matter.

Odd as it may be, I prefer to address the topic at hand in the posts that I
write.

I give up! You cant give people helpful advice without them having a
go back.

Jim you are going the right way to get no help from anyone and being
kill filed.

CALM DOWN and read the advice you have been given.

You did not explain the project and say you were prepared to collaborate
with a photographer or pay for photos. So the whole thing started of with
every one at cross purposes.

That's because people read what they wanted to read and not what I typed.

Of course. However you were not clear in what you wanted or why so
people filled in the blanks for themselves.

Here's where I screwed up.....I *assumed*

Yes... In a place where the gaps you left people assumes something
different.

that asking for help would elicit
a logical response indicating where the needed photos would be found. I
further *assumed* that the poster of said information would have, or point
to, the requirements for the use of said photos.
I guess I assumed common, basic logic. For that I solemnly apologize.

Absolutely not. You assumed using YOUR logic in a place where a
different logic prevails.

You did not ask using the logic, assumptions and manners of THIS NG.
When people have helpfully pointed this out to you to be helpful you
have bitten the hand that is trying to help you.

Yes, you should apologise. And sincerely.

A book of poetry and pictures is 50/50 poetry and picture. How would you
feel is some one said "I need some {industrial] poems to put in a book of
[industrial] pictures I am publishing.

If I had knowledge of where to find the needed items, I would simply post a
link - not go all schizoid assuming things not said and starting a useless
flame war over a simple (but not simple enough for the posters here) request
for images of people helping people.

Well you have stated a flame war yourself. Some people responded
abruptly but those of us who have tried to help have also been bitten.

You need to apologise to all who have been trying to help. (And next
time post under a different name)

Instead of offering information if one has it, I have been subjected to
accusations of wanting others to do my work, wanting free photos, etc. -
NONE of which I ever said in my original post.

It was implied by what you left out as much as what you said. Where there
was information missing people assumed.

I also did not state other irrelevant things -

It was not irrelevant things.

If they are going to assume things not in evidence, why stop at imagining
"free" was implied? Why not go ahead and imagine that I "implied via
ommission" that am using the proceeds to try and free convicted child
molesters and support the Knights of the Klu Klux Klan and that I have a
secret death ray that I am using the proceeds to build and take over the
world?

When you (they) start arguing against arguments not presented, I guess that
really opens a whole can of worms for the voices in their heads to play
with, doesn't it?

What UTTER CRAP. You should learnt eh rules of polite conversation for
this NG before you jump in and start a flame war with your attitude.

It is you who looses in the end.

Don't go into publishing (I can say that as some one who is published for
both photos and the written word) You will need a MUCH thicker skin than
you appear to have.

My skin is plenty thick enough. What's lacking is my toplerance for
stupidy.

Plonk!

You loose
You came here for help, ****ed everyone off, some explained the correct
protocol for asking for what you wanted and you flamed them. Now that is
arrogance and stupidity.

/\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Old April 6th 08, 10:57 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
Chris H

In message , jim
writes

"Neil Barker" wrote in message
says...

"Neil Barker" wrote in message

says...

Would I pay for the right photos? Gladly.

In which case you should have stated as much, as there have been oh too
many idiots come to newsgroups like this in the past and expect things
doing for them for free. You get some people who think that because
digital photography largely removes the material/processing element,
that photos should therefore be cheaper. That isn't the case.

I NEVER asked for a single thing for free.

And you never offered to pay, either.

PAY FOR WHAT!?

You did not offer to pay for any suitable photos people had. The
implication was you wanted Free photos. That is the way everyone seems
to have read you post.

You don't seem to have realised that what you thought you wrote or
implied and what the rest of the world read were two different things.
You can't blame the rest of the world for being wrong and you are the
only one who is right.

YOU STILL HAVEN'T PRODUCED A DAMNED THING!

No one is likely to with your attitude. You should have read the replies
you got and thought about what they were saying instead of biting the
hand(s) that feed.

You are completely in the wrong and "rude" for this NG. Yet you
complain you are right and everyone else is wrong. Then you wonder why
you got no photos.

Re-post in a few days and discuss a collaboration with a photographer
and what the set up it for the PROJECT is a whole.

Otherwise post your words here and I will put them in my photographic
book I am doing.

/\/\/
www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Old April 6th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
Paul Furman

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=good+deed
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49422777@N00/1800320257/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulforsdick/1472601961/