2D back pins

Old September 29th 04, 01:14 PM
Collin Brendemuehl

Default 2D back pins

Well, the 2D arrived in great shape.
Unfortuantely 1 pin is missing off the 8x10 back and the 4x5 back has
finishing nails as pins. I'd like some with a smoother surface,
similar to the originals.
What should I use?

TIA,

Collin
Old September 29th 04, 02:08 PM
Donald Qualls

Collin Brendemuehl wrote:
Well, the 2D arrived in great shape.
Unfortuantely 1 pin is missing off the 8x10 back and the 4x5 back has
finishing nails as pins. I'd like some with a smoother surface,
similar to the originals.
What should I use?

If you have a Dremel or similar tool for cutting and grinding, music
wire makes very nice pins. The drawing operation makes it very hard, so
you can't cut it with wire cutters (the Dremel with cutoff wheel is the
easiest way by far), but once cut and the ends ground smooth and
slightly rounded you have a strong, stiff pin that will wear well.
Bonus: music wire comes in a range of pretty accurate diameters and is
very inexpensive.

If you want to spend more, try a machinist supply store (if you're in a
large enough city, or one with enough industry to have one) or one of
the online distributors like Enco or MSC Direct and get drill rod.
Again, it comes in very accurate sizes, but it's soft enough to cut with
a hacksaw or wire cutters, depending on size; it has a better surface
finish and somewhat better corrosion resistance than music wire, but
likely won't wear as well because it's not as hard (and heat treating to
harden it will discolor the surface). Drill rod also comes in fewer
choices of diameter in small sizes, so you're less likely to get a good
match to the sockets you want to fill.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.
Old October 3rd 04, 05:28 AM
DMLStar

Collin:
Sadly I have seen backs where people have used finishing nails. Typically they
have ended up splitting the wood. I would be careful removing the nail. The
wood is dry and prone to split. If the hole is undersized for the new pin I
would be tempted to drill the hole out to the right size rather than hoping
there is enough give to the wood to allow a force fit.
DL