Warning do not use Lee solar filters

Old August 19th 17, 12:21 AM posted to alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Warning do not use Lee solar filters

On Aug 18, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

newshound:
I recall going to school in 1959 with a piece of fogged 120 negative.

OK, but it has to be more than "fogged." It has to be saturated black.
And it must have a silver emulsion, not some new-fangled compound.

Savageduck:
So how is that macular degeneration working out for you?

As one who has macular degeneration and who is well briefed on the
subject, I can tell you that the disease is not caused by looking at
the Sun.

My use of macular degeneration was facitious in nature, and not intended to
be a specific result exposure to sunlight. Though dangerous exposure to the
Sun can cause retinal damage, including macular damage. High UV exposure can
cause corneal damage, which is something entirely different.

I am sorry to hear that you have macular degeneration, that is not funny, and
I wish you well.
My 94 year old father was recently diagnosed with age related MD, and he is
not comfortable with the idea. Fortunately it has been limited to his right
eye.

There seems to be some misunderstanding about when one can look without
filters during the eclipse. The problem isn't during most of the
partial phase; nobody can look at the Sun long enough to damage there
eyes. The danger arises when the eclipse is near totality, but not
quite there. At that point it might be possible to feel comfortable
looking at the Sun for a bit. But the infrared radiation is nearly
certain to cause eye damage.

The smart thing to do, I think, is to consult this NASA map
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/d...tive_map/index.
html?zoom=1. Zoom in and click on your location and get the
parameters. Have a watch set to the correct time and don't remove your
filter or glasses until a few seconds into totality. Replace a few
seconds before totality ends. If you're off by a second or two there
will be no harm done if you look away immediately when you see a bright
spot appear on the Moon's limb.

Of course, if you are not in the totality zone then you must not remove
your filter or glasses at any time.

Yup! I have done my research.
Out here at Lake Nacimiento, CA we start at 09:02:44 for a 68% partial at
10:17:02, and which ends at 11:39:36.

Savageduck

Old August 19th 17, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 18, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in ):

rickman:
Where in Tenn will you be? My friend has a farm that is right on the
centerline of the totality about 15 or so miles south of Crossville, about
an hour west of Knoxville. I'm headed there from near Wash DC tomorrow. I
don't get to Tenn very often so I"m taking advantage of this opportunity.

Good for you! We're driving tomorrow from Annapolis to Hendersonville, just
north of Nashville -- 36° 18’ 46” N 86° 35’ 51” W to be more
precise. We'll be just off the centerline, which will cost us about five
seconds of totality. Good luck and clear skies! Gonna be hot and muggy,
probably worse even than DC.

I have a friend who lives on a hilltop just South-West of Nashville where he
will only have about 1 minute 50 seconds of totality. So you are pretty well
located at Hendersonville.

Savageduck

Old August 19th 17, 01:47 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Whiskers

On 2017-08-18, PeterN wrote:
On 8/18/2017 12:15 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 18, 2017, PeterN wrote (in article
):

On 8/18/2017 10:42 AM, Savageduck wrote:

Snip

What I am waiting for are the reports on phone cameras damaged when
taking solar selfies.

I will bet that many will use the flash

Only because they don’t know how to turn the flash off.

Or they want to fill in the light on the back lit moon.

If enough photographers co-operated to fire their flash at the same
instant, they could light up the dark side of the moon. I wonder how
many it would take?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old August 21st 17, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 18/08/2017 12:15, Davoud wrote:
RJH:
I find [solar eclipses] to be incredible experiences. Feels like the air has been
sucked away and the strangest silence and light. Last thing I'd want to
be doing is faffing about with a camera!

There are two equally valid points of view on the matter. I'm an
astrophotographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/7345511818.
Our viewing team ‹ my wife and a Royal Air Force Officer who arrived on
Thursday from the Persian Gulf for the event ‹ will drive from
Annapolis, MD, to Hendersonville, TN, tomorrow.

We'll be carrying two robotic telescope mounts, four Canon cameras, and
two MacBook Pros, among other kit. We all have quite a few years of
experience in solar photography. With the advent of computer control of
DSLRs and telescope mounts, eclipse photography is easier than it was
in the film days. We'll be watching the eclipse while the Macs do the
grunt work. We've been practicing for months, and have well tuned
scripts for the cameras to follow. Setup will require about 1/2 hour,
beginning one hour before the eclipse. It should be easy as pie after
that. My only concern is getting the right exposure for the corona
during the 2 m 32 s of totality, where I have no direct experience, but
I expect to find the magic settings within the first couple of seconds.

If the weather cooperates. We don't have to have "perfect" weather; see
above link.

Hope it went well!

--
Cheers, Rob
Old August 22nd 17, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
There are two equally valid points of view on the matter. I'm an
astrophotographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/7345511818.
Our viewing team ‹ my wife and a Royal Air Force Officer who arrived on
Thursday from the Persian Gulf for the event ‹ will drive from
Annapolis, MD, to Hendersonville, TN, tomorrow.
If the weather cooperates. We don't have to have "perfect" weather; see
above link.

RJH:
Hope it went well!

We had perfect weather. Boiling hot to be under the Sun for eight
hours, but gorgeous. Links to follow in a few days; gotta sort through
6,000 raws!

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 22nd 17, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/22/2017 12:06 AM, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
There are two equally valid points of view on the matter. I'm an
astrophotographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/7345511818.
Our viewing team ‹ my wife and a Royal Air Force Officer who arrived on
Thursday from the Persian Gulf for the event ‹ will drive from
Annapolis, MD, to Hendersonville, TN, tomorrow.
If the weather cooperates. We don't have to have "perfect" weather; see
above link.

RJH:
Hope it went well!

We had perfect weather. Boiling hot to be under the Sun for eight
hours, but gorgeous. Links to follow in a few days; gotta sort through
6,000 raws!

Only 6,000? Yo must have been sleeping under the hot sun. ;-)

Looking forward to seeing he best of them.

--
PeterN
Old August 22nd 17, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

On 8/22/2017 8:33 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 8/22/2017 12:06 AM, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
There are two equally valid points of view on the matter. I'm an
astrophotographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/7345511818.
Our viewing team ‹ my wife and a Royal Air Force Officer who
arrived on
Thursday from the Persian Gulf for the event ‹ will drive from
Annapolis, MD, to Hendersonville, TN, tomorrow.
If the weather cooperates. We don't have to have "perfect" weather; see
above link.

RJH:
Hope it went well!

We had perfect weather. Boiling hot to be under the Sun for eight
hours, but gorgeous. Links to follow in a few days; gotta sort through
6,000 raws!

Only 6,000? Yo must have been sleeping under the hot sun. ;-)

Looking forward to seeing he best of them.

How are you and your family doing, Peter? Any of you catch the solar
eclipse; if so, did you get any images of it?

John

---
http://www.avg.com

Old August 23rd 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/22/2017 6:32 PM, John Turco wrote:
[...]

Thanks, for asking, we are taking things day by day. We have good days
and bad ones. We have medical appointments at least three days a week.
Of course that severely limits our traveling.
As for photography, it is the only thing keeping me from going more
crazy, than I am. We only had a 70% eclipse, and it was not much. Since
I did have a proper filter, I took no images. My original thought was
that it would be interesting to take photos of people watching the
eclipse, but I probably picked the wrong location.
A few weeks ago I went to the trotters, no people images, but I did get
some of the races. The turned out to be expensive images, as my wife was
busy with the slots, while I was taking these pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztdy9znr808d3oq/20170729_2808.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixlwqzsgz52k2yv/20170729_3091.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN