Warning do not use Lee solar filters

Old August 18th 17, 03:42 PM posted to alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Warning do not use Lee solar filters

On Aug 18, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Savageduck:
At this point I would defer any advice on this matter to our resident
stargazer, Davoud.

OMG, the pressure is on! I have bought many pairs of safe solar glasses
from https://www.rainbowsymphony.com. It might be a bit late to get
them, however. I haven't shopped locally, but it must be possible to
buy them from Target or CVS or the like. Try to look for made in USA. I
bought 200 pair about six months ago; donated 100 pair to the local
community college for their public event, distributed another 50 pair
to various people, and I'm taking 50 pair with me to our observing site
in Tennessee for those who might arrive unprepared.

What I am waiting for are the reports on phone cameras damaged when taking
solar selfies.

Savageduck

Old August 18th 17, 04:31 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

What I am waiting for are the reports on phone cameras damaged when taking
solar selfies.

what i'm waiting for are the reports of damaged eyeballs.

emergency rooms at hospitals are already preparing for it.
Old August 18th 17, 04:56 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/18/2017 10:42 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 18, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Savageduck:
At this point I would defer any advice on this matter to our resident
stargazer, Davoud.

OMG, the pressure is on! I have bought many pairs of safe solar glasses
from https://www.rainbowsymphony.com. It might be a bit late to get
them, however. I haven't shopped locally, but it must be possible to
buy them from Target or CVS or the like. Try to look for made in USA. I
bought 200 pair about six months ago; donated 100 pair to the local
community college for their public event, distributed another 50 pair
to various people, and I'm taking 50 pair with me to our observing site
in Tennessee for those who might arrive unprepared.

What I am waiting for are the reports on phone cameras damaged when taking
solar selfies.

I will bet that many will use the flash

--
PeterN
Old August 18th 17, 05:12 PM posted to alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 18, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 07:42:08 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 18, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Savageduck:
At this point I would defer any advice on this matter to our resident
stargazer, Davoud.

OMG, the pressure is on! I have bought many pairs of safe solar glasses
from https://www.rainbowsymphony.com. It might be a bit late to get
them, however. I haven't shopped locally, but it must be possible to
buy them from Target or CVS or the like. Try to look for made in USA. I
bought 200 pair about six months ago; donated 100 pair to the local
community college for their public event, distributed another 50 pair
to various people, and I'm taking 50 pair with me to our observing site
in Tennessee for those who might arrive unprepared.

What I am waiting for are the reports on phone cameras damaged when taking
solar selfies.

There will surely be some claims that iPhones are less subject to
damage photographing eclipse than Android phones.

;-)

Savageduck

Old August 18th 17, 05:14 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

Aren't they? ;-)

--
PeterN
Old August 18th 17, 05:15 PM posted to alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 18, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Only because they don’t know how to turn the flash off.

Savageduck

Old August 18th 17, 05:18 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/18/2017 12:15 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 18, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 8/18/2017 10:42 AM, Savageduck wrote:

Snip

What I am waiting for are the reports on phone cameras damaged when taking
solar selfies.

I will bet that many will use the flash

Only because they don’t know how to turn the flash off.

Or they want to fill in the light on the back lit moon.

--
PeterN
Old August 18th 17, 05:23 PM posted to alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 18, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

Well there is this rig.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1349568-
REG/formatt_hitech_smartphone_solar_solar.html
http://tinyurl.com/y9uak9s5

....and
https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/17/how-to-photograph-an-eclipse-with-an-iphone/

Savageduck

Old August 18th 17, 05:57 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 8/18/2017 2:32 AM, PeterN wrote:
Amazon is giving refunds to all purchasers of Lee Solar filters. Under
this recall you do not have to return the filters. While there is some
confusion about this, I think it best not to use the Lee filter, unless
you want to risk damaging your eyes, and/or your sensor.

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/amazon-refunding-lee-solar-eclipse-filter-buyers-warning-use/

I recall going to school in 1959 with a piece of fogged 120 negative.
Old August 18th 17, 06:18 PM posted to alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 18, 2017, newshound wrote
(in articlemOqdnWB0B5ASgQrEnZ2dnUU78UHNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/ama...clipse-filter-
buyers-warning-use/

I recall going to school in 1959 with a piece of fogged 120 negative.

So how is that macular degeneration working out for you?

Savageduck