OT(...or perhaps not): My Position on David B. OT Flame War Posts.

Old August 16th 17, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

Default OT(...or perhaps not): My Position on David B. OT Flame WarPosts.

On 16/08/2017 18:31, PeterN wrote:
[...]
FB does have advantages, but some of the things they do are sleazy. e.g.
i go on FB from time to time. One day I got a suggestion for a friend.
This was a guy who was one of my golfing partners, for many years. He
moved, and my wife couldn't travel. We lost contact. The sleazy part is
the only way FB could have a reason to suggest him is that they went
through my contact list.

WHICH "contact list", Peter?

Another warning about FB, if you post an image on FB, they have a
non-exclusive to use that image for all purposes. One of my real
friends, who is a professional photographer, found one of her images
used commercially. The user had paid FB for the image.

Had the photograph allegedly sold by Facebook been watermarked by your
friend?

--
David B.
Old August 16th 17, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

chrishaskett2:
Talk about the demise of usenet always reminds me of my favourite XKCD
cartoon.
(Apologies if I've posted it on here before)

https://xkcd.com/1305/

Reminds me of the imminent demise of beleaguered Apple, Inc.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 16th 17, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 02:17:25 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 16 August 2017 05:09:52 UTC+1, Bill W wrote:
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 20:50:03 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 15, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 19:31:40 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

To the regular r.p.d. subscribers, and those who lurk.

I have reached my breaking point with regard to the intrusive, OT,
polluting,
cross posts into r.p.d.. The action I am moved to take (for myself) is to
write several filters, which have cleaned up things in both of my Usenet
clients. The following subject lines (threads) and an NG specific filter for
some individuals are active, killing them, and cleaning up my view of r.p.d.
considerably.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuw641jobwdpyo9/screenshot_136.png

For now I have just flagged David’s non-BS posts so his legit posts
remain,
but that is subject to change.

The way things have gone, and seem to be going, I have no doubt that I will
be modifying this filter group in the near future

The Filters:
Assholes/and others lured to r.p.d. by David B.
(there are currently 9 individuals and several variations of their ID where
they have changed in their short history in r.p.d.)

The Threads filtered:
ISBN 1-874416-68-0
ISBN 1-874416-68-0
Torrents (was : ISBN 1-874416-68-0)
Torrents (was : ISBN 1-874416-68-0)
Torrents
Torrents
Copyright Infringing Pirate? (was - Torrents (was : ISBN 1-874416-68-0))
OT ... The truth WILL out! (was: Torrents (was : ISBN 1-874416-68-0)
OT ... The truth WILL out! (was: Torrents (was : ISBN 1-874416-68-0)
OT ... The truth WILL out!
Watermarks
Watermarks
Can anyone reading here explain this apparent anomaly to me, please?
About me!
Where I keep my spare cats.
Screenshot! (was - Where I keep my spare cats)
Win10 slow shut down
What's the problem?
Beauregard T. Shagnasty's Playpen.
Dustin J Cook - Kingsport, TN, USA

With Forte Agent, I can just right click to kill.

I have that option with Hogwasher, but that only deals with an individual
message.

There might be something just as easy for Mac.

See Above:

I haven't bothered yet because it's so easy to see the problem threads instantly. Highlight and delete works
for me, for now.

I see no point in even having to see them any more. Let a filter handle the
problem, and for me it is as if they never happened.

Yeah, whatever works. I have several kill filters on another NG. I
feel like a 3d world tyrant - like I disappeared them. It's a good
feeling. At the same time, as long as you can still laugh at these
things, there are definitely some characters that showed up here. It's
an interesting diversion if you're bored. Really, really, bored.

This sort of thing works for me like seeing a column in a newspaper I don;t want to read means I don't bother reading it, nowing of it's existance might be important at some point, I prefer to know of it's existance. So this means I don't use kill files, I haven't since my 33k modem died in the long long ago.
The reason then for kill filing was bandwidth, I don't have that problem now.

I sort of cherry pick which posts I read which varies depending on the subject actual content and person posting.

Re savageducks
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuw641jobw...enshot_136.png

Nice to see I'm highlighted in Gold certainly means a lot to me ;-)

Even though as colour I'd prefer purple.

Do you think Savageduck has Usenet in colour?

Eric Stevens
Old August 16th 17, 11:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 13:18:22 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

--- snip ---

Are you using Agent on Win
10? On my Win10 machine Thunderbird has screwed up the threads, to a
point that the only way I can see what was originally written, is to
reply. Then the original message appears.

I am, and it works same as always.

Eric Stevens
Old August 16th 17, 11:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

--- snip ---

Are you using Agent on Win
10? On my Win10 machine Thunderbird has screwed up the threads, to a
point that the only way I can see what was originally written, is to
reply. Then the original message appears.

I am, and it works same as always.

Going back in time a bit, remember when we were discussing if Forte
went out of business? You said that you had sent an email to customer
support, and were waiting for a reply. Did you eve get a reply? I
never got mine.
Old August 16th 17, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 16, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

With Forte Agent, I can just right click to kill. There might be
something just as easy for Mac. I haven't bothered yet because it's so
easy to see the problem threads instantly. Highlight and delete works
for me, for now.

Are you using Agent on Win
10? On my Win10 machine Thunderbird has screwed up the threads, to a
point that the only way I can see what was originally written, is to
reply. Then the original message appears.

Thunderbird at best is only adequate as a Usenet client.
On Win10 Agent would be your best option for a real Usenet client.
On my Mac I use Hogwasher, which is still supported and updated by its
developer. I also use Unison, but that is no longer supported, or developed
by its developer, Panic Software, so no updates, and I anticipate the final
nail in its coffin with the release the latest MacOS in the Fall.

Savageduck

Old August 16th 17, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Are you using Agent on Win
10? On my Win10 machine Thunderbird has screwed up the threads, to a
point that the only way I can see what was originally written, is to
reply. Then the original message appears.

Thunderbird at best is only adequate as a Usenet client.

thunderbird isn't adequate at anything.

On Win10 Agent would be your best option for a real Usenet client.
On my Mac I use Hogwasher, which is still supported and updated by its
developer. I also use Unison, but that is no longer supported, or developed
by its developer, Panic Software, so no updates, and I anticipate the final
nail in its coffin with the release the latest MacOS in the Fall.

it should continue to work for a couple more years.
Old August 17th 17, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

--- snip ---

Are you using Agent on Win
10? On my Win10 machine Thunderbird has screwed up the threads, to a
point that the only way I can see what was originally written, is to
reply. Then the original message appears.

I am, and it works same as always.

Going back in time a bit, remember when we were discussing if Forte
went out of business? You said that you had sent an email to customer
support, and were waiting for a reply. Did you eve get a reply? I
never got mine.

I got the same response you did. But, T bird is getting to be too much
of a PITA on my Win 10 machine.

--
PeterN
Old August 17th 17, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

--- snip ---

Are you using Agent on Win
10? On my Win10 machine Thunderbird has screwed up the threads, to a
point that the only way I can see what was originally written, is to
reply. Then the original message appears.

I am, and it works same as always.

Going back in time a bit, remember when we were discussing if Forte
went out of business? You said that you had sent an email to customer
support, and were waiting for a reply. Did you eve get a reply? I
never got mine.

I got the same response you did. But, T bird is getting to be too much
of a PITA on my Win 10 machine.

Well, it does still work on my PC. No problems at all.
Old August 17th 17, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I haven't since my 33k modem died in the long long ago.

It didn't die. Mayayana is still using it.

+1

For a minute there, I was in shock.

too bad it wasn't for much longer.

I thought nospam's shift key
actually works, but then I remembered that with a number pad on the
keyboard you can type a plus sign without using the shift key.

you're assuming there is a number pad.