Update On1 Photo raw

Old August 19th 17, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Update On1 Photo raw

On Aug 18, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 16:04:40 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 18, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

The new build was released today.

Yup! I got the notification.

What I like is they are constantly dealing with feedback, and fixing bugs
along with adding features, and improvements. This is not the same program
that was released last year.

For those who are not aware of what we are talking about, here is the
support
page with the update details, and download link.
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/235180448

They do seem to have dropped some of the skin retouching tools in the
effects module, though. They do have a retouch brush, and I don't know
if that is new, but it appears to sample the surrounding area, and
paint over the area you're retouching. It works fine as long as there
is a usable surrounding area. I tried it on some shiny skin, and after
adjusting the opacity, it works great, and is actually much faster
than using LR or PS. I have to play around a bit more, and maybe rtfm,
but I think it'll be very handy.

The help guide is a pretty good substitute for the FM. However, most of the
subtle techniques are found in the video tutorials.
http://ononesoft.cachefly.net/content/ON1-Photo-RAW-2017-5-User-Guide.pdf

Savageduck

Old August 19th 17, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I do need to look through those.
Old August 19th 17, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 18, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

For your portrait retouching, you might want to look at these:
https://www.on1.com/blog/portrait-workflow-series-advanced-retouching/
https://www.on1.com/blog/portrait-workflow-series-advanced-retouching/
https://www.on1.com/blog/portrait-wo...hing-multiple-
faces/

Savageduck

Old August 19th 17, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 18, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Aug 18, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

https://www.on1.com/blog/portrait-workflow-series-retouching-multiple-faces/

Also this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUvj7GFzV7E&t=240

Savageduck

Old August 19th 17, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. After I finish up my current project, I'll try some of the
same photos with On1.

Like I said, this was the first time I tried to do this sort of thing
- a family gathering. I sure learned a lot from 30 minutes of
shooting. I had been told it was a backyard BBQ, so I timed it for the
last hour before sunset, hoping the sun would be behind the mountains
for pretty much perfect lighting. So I get there, and they want to do
it inside, in a very small, dark room. First problem - I'm backed up
against a wall, with them against the opposite wall, so I need to use
an 18mm lens, with all its attendant wide angle lens distortion. Not
good for people... And it's dark, so I'm glad I brought a tripod and
flash as an afterthought (although I was going to bring the flash for
fill just in case). But I suck at flash, and I used direct flash, and
they had been outside all day sweating, so now I've got these glaring
shiny spots from the flash, along with harsh shadows from the flash
where they were leaning back against the wall, which made some photos
look pretty bizarre.

None of this is meant as complaint. I really like learning how to deal
with all these problems, and the photos are turning out pretty well in
the end. And I'm glad I have DXO Viewpoint. It did a great job on the
inevitable volume deformation. And the family really liked the first
few I sent over.