Update on my FF foray

Old August 8th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Update on my FF foray

On Aug 8, 2017, Paul Carmichael wrote
(in article ):

On 08/08/17 16:00, Paul Carmichael wrote:
My dealings with Rhinocamera were a nightmare. Not to be repeated. However,
I finally got
my money back and the 6d mkii just arrived from Canon Europe.

First thing I discover is that Shuttercount doesn't work with it. It just
dies.

EOS camera utility doesn't recognise it either. So no live view with the
laptop. Will look
for an updated version. No software came with the body. And only a quick
start manual
which tells me how to take a photo.

Oh ********. Lightroom doesn't recognise the raw format. Good start. Not.

The curse of being an early adopter.
Don’t worry Adobe should have an LR/ACR update soon. So should most of the
other RAW conversion software.

Savageduck

Old August 8th 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 08/08/17 16:42, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

But I'm on 5.7 because I'm still 32 bit. I doubt they'll update that.

It looks like you have more changes in your future, you might consider
Affinity for Windows, or On1 Photo RAW. Then there is always the Adobe
Photography package with PS CC+LR CC for $9.99/month.

Savageduck

Old August 8th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 08/08/17 16:54, Paul Carmichael wrote:
[...]

They have updated the cr2-dng converter, so not entirely lost. Bit of a pain
having to
convert everything before importing it.

Currently downloading that and the latest eos utility.

There is always a work-around. It is just that it screws up your workflow.

Savageduck

Old August 8th 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul Carmichael
wrote:

Oh ********. Lightroom doesn't recognise the raw format. Good start. Not.

The curse of being an early adopter.
Don¹t worry Adobe should have an LR/ACR update soon. So should most of the
other RAW conversion software.

But I'm on 5.7 because I'm still 32 bit. I doubt they'll update that.

why are you still using 32 bit??

time to update that.
Old August 8th 17, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul Carmichael
wrote:

Oh ********. Lightroom doesn't recognise the raw format. Good start. Not.

The curse of being an early adopter.
Don1t worry Adobe should have an LR/ACR update soon. So should most of the
other RAW conversion software.

But I'm on 5.7 because I'm still 32 bit. I doubt they'll update that.

why are you still using 32 bit??

I don't use anything that needs to address huge amounts of memory.

64 bit is much more than huge amounts of memory, and 4 gig is not huge
anyway. in fact, it's rather small. some phones have that much.

And I
don't relish the
thought of starting from scratch with everything. I have all my translation
stuff and what
not on the Windows box. Wouldn't want to risk breaking that.

do you prefer relishing the thought of not being able to run any new
apps?

Just noticed my laptop is 64 bit, but that's a bit pants. I thought about
another PC but I
already have 4 big monitors on this desk. No room for any more. Bigger desk maybe...

replace what you have.
Old August 9th 17, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul Carmichael
wrote:

But I'm on 5.7 because I'm still 32 bit. I doubt they'll update that.

why are you still using 32 bit??

I don't use anything that needs to address huge amounts of memory.

64 bit is much more than huge amounts of memory

What else is it then?

apps can run faster and are more capable.

64 bit is the future.
Old August 11th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul Carmichael
wrote:

...or a week long conversion to 64 bit.

week long conversion?? wtf are you doing? is that while heavily
intoxicated?

That machine does have capacity for
8GB. Problem
is, my stuff is cobbled together over the years and there's a good chance that half my
hardware won't be supported.

sounds like it's time to buy a new computer.

keep the old one as-is and use it for the old legacy stuff.
Old August 11th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul Carmichael
wrote:

But I'm on 5.7 because I'm still 32 bit. I doubt they'll update that.

why are you still using 32 bit??

I don't use anything that needs to address huge amounts of memory.

64 bit is much more than huge amounts of memory

What else is it then?

apps can run faster

Purely because they are addressing vast amounts of memory and it doesn't need to be cached.

nope. it's because of additional and wider registers as well as new 64
bit instructions.

64 bit is the future. 32 bit is obsolete.
Old August 12th 17, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 13:47:29 -0400, nospam
wrote:

64 bit is the future

It's already the past.

I remember when DEC brought out an 80 bit machine.

(What's that? Did you say "Who is DEC?)

Eric Stevens
Old August 12th 17, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

64 bit is the future

It's already the past.

no it isn't.

I remember when DEC brought out an 80 bit machine.

how well did that work out for them?

(What's that? Did you say "Who is DEC?)

no.

i said 'another stupid comment'.