Unusual lens on eBay

Old December 9th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Donn Cave

Default Unusual lens on eBay

Quoth " :
| I guess my point: if my newsreader was displaying garbage and other
| people noted that newer newsreaders (I use mozilla thunderbird) had no
| issues with those posts, rather than asking and hoping other posters
| would change their newsreader or posting style to something my old one
| could deal with (which honestly isn't likely to happen anyway), I would
| just break down and spend 5 minutes getting a newer one. That would
| solve -my- problem without asking others to fix it for me.

Oh yeah, I know. It's our burden to install new software that will
compensate for the pointless breakage of the stuff our incompetent
colleagues use, because there's no other solution. They're exempted
from responsibility due to their incompetence, and certainly there's
no point in complaining to the authors of the software, since their
users don't care.

| And if a post has "unreadable junk" in it on another persons old news
| reader software, how does that reflect badly on said poster?

Well, as you say, you're a photographer and not an IT professional,
but as luck would have it you're able to post 7-bit ASCII text like
a pro, where Mr. My-Software-Is-RFC-Compliant is not.

I guess it's just a matter of perspective. Many photographers are
poor spellers, ever notice that? Some years ago, I was once so
perplexed by a post on this very newsgroup that I edited the whole
thing to normal standards of written English - mostly punctuation,
capitals, spelling - and just read it over. Try it sometime, when
you get one of those illiterate wads of text that some people produce
when they write an email. My experience is that it makes a radical
difference, the same words but apparently in the mouths of two very
different people.

A case could be made that the kind of retarded appearance of the
original is only superficial, and it's up to us to mentally polish
up the text we read, and understand it as it was meant. But it
does make a big difference in how we perceive the author. This is
a written medium, and our competence at writing is critical, whether
that suits us or not.

And it's USENET, where there has in fact been a lot of work devoted
to making it a medium where people could communicate in an efficient
way with text posts. At this point a lot of the people who couldn't
be bothered with all that stuff have moved on, and if there's anywhere
you might look for people who have some respect for classic computer
technology that still works, this would be a good place to start.

Donn

unusual supports bugbear Digital Photography 18 October 22nd 08 09:18 AM
Unusual "Zoo" Zach Digital Photography 0 December 7th 04 09:10 PM
FA: VINTAGE NIKON PB-4, PS-4, 300 mm lens, 50 mm lens ON EBAY Les Smith 35mm Equipment for Sale 1 October 20th 03 11:00 PM