Favourite B&W Films.

Old March 12th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Favourite B&W Films.

On 3/12/2009 2:18 AM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

So far EFKE seems to be small enough that they can produce an order that
Kodak will not even look at. I think that is the future of film.

I agree; at least I hope that's the case. The giants will abandon film
sooner or later (meaning consumer film like we're discussing here;
they'll probably always make the speciality stuff used for various
industrial processes). So it will be up to smaller companies to make it
something of a boutique industry. Fine with me, so long as the film is
still available.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Old March 19th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Craig Schroeder

My go-to favorite for 120 is HP5+ in PyroCat-MC. I rate at 200. The
negatives almost print themselves as the skin tones have a great
gradation (almost 3-D effect), shadow detail is good while highlights
don't blow out or need manipulation.

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com
Old August 31st 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Chemiker

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:40:27 -0400, Charles Hohenstein

Toni Nikkanen wrote:

By the way, why is it that there's currently only one B&W film in 220 while
plenty of colour film is available in that format?

Because Ilford's machine for finishing 220 film is in disrepair, and
they don't believe that the 220 market justifies the necessary
investment in getting it repaired. So I've been switching from Ilford
films back to Kodak. I have no idea why Fuji won't offer at least one
black and white film in 220.

FWIW: B/W photolabs are an endangered species. I live between
Houston and Beaumont, and to get simple B/W roll film done, even
35mm, it has to be sent out of state. Forget 120/220. And if you
do 4x5, take out a home equity loan. And buy a calendar.

I'm lucky. Im my town there is a photoshop that actually DOES
120/220 and digitizes also. 4x5, tho, is still a "send it to Beijing"
thing.

Alex, Cambo 4x5, shooting 6x9 off Schneider 210mm 5.6.
Old September 5th 09, 10:26 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemiker View Post

FWIW: B/W photolabs are an endangered species. I live between
Houston and Beaumont, and to get simple B/W roll film done, even
35mm, it has to be sent out of state. Forget 120/220. And if you
do 4x5, take out a home equity loan. And buy a calendar.

I'm lucky. Im my town there is a photoshop that actually DOES
120/220 and digitizes also. 4x5, tho, is still a "send it to Beijing"
thing.

Alex, Cambo 4x5, shooting 6x9 off Schneider 210mm 5.6.
Perhaps you consider processing your own B&W films if it`s that much hassle to get them processed by a photo-lab.