Agfapan 25

Old November 9th 04, 05:43 AM
Tom Phillips

Tom Phillips wrote:

wrote:

I'm still reeling from the Kodak Tech Pan decision as I'm sure many of
you are. I've been doing a small stocking up but of course an
alternative would be better than stuffing my freezer with film. I've
seen that Agfa makes a 25 speed B&W film for the Minox format. If this
film were to be produced in 35mm and/or 120, how good of a substitute
would it be for Tech Pan. Also, is it any good to begin with?
Thanks

There simply is no substitute for Tech Pan. There is
no film that is it's equal. No conventional film can
match the granularity of Tech Pan. Tech Pan, as opposed
to other pictorial films, had an emulsion composed of
silver halide crystals nearly all the same size. This is
what gave it both it's exceptionally fine grain and high
contrast characteristics. A POTA developer was thus the
only developer that could produce normal contrast.

APX 25 was a good film, but also grainier, since as a
conventional pictorial film it contained a mix of both
larger and small crystals.

A t-grain film is probably about as close as you'll
come, but can't equal Tech Pan.

Frankly, I'm not looking for a film with the same "look" as Tech Pan, but
just with the same granularity. I'm sure Kodak could make a T-Max 25 if they
wanted to, but they're not about to do that, so I have to scrounge around
other makes to find something similar. TMX to me has visibly more grain than
Tech Pan .

I've always used it with rodinal, which isn't exactly a fine
grained developer. But the t grain still remains pretty fine
in large format. D76 or Microdol-X should give pretty fine
grain with TMX 35mm.
Old November 10th 04, 11:26 PM
JandC

Andrew Price wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 00:27:29 GMT, "no-name"
wrote:

Agfa will not re-commence making Agfapan 25. The best substitute for it is
Maco UP25, which should continue to be available for the forseeable future.

Efke 25 isn't bad, either.

Maco 25 and Efke 25 are the same film made in Croatia by Fotokemika.
Efke packages their 25 film for Maco in Maco boxes at their factory.

In addition, Maco UP64+ is Efke 50 and Maco UP100+ is Efke 100.

Maco has no coating facilities, all of their films and papers are made
by other firms. The Maco Infrared, Ort 25, PO100, TP64, and Genius
films are also made for them by Fotokemika (Efke).