Digital Film

Old June 25th 04, 01:11 PM
Stephen Gray

Default Digital Film

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of the 'Digital Film' that would allow
you to turn your old SLR into a digital camera. It seems I would have to
win the lottery to buy a new digital SLR - particularly a full frame one. I
get superb pictures from my old Canon and lenses and the digital cameras
I've tried just don't cut the mustard.

SPG

Old June 25th 04, 01:51 PM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that "Stephen Gray" stated that:

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of the 'Digital Film' that would allow
you to turn your old SLR into a digital camera.

Yes, it's complete vapourware.
They make press-releases every few years, but TTBOMK, they've never
produced so much as a prototype.

It seems I would have to
win the lottery to buy a new digital SLR - particularly a full frame one. I
get superb pictures from my old Canon and lenses and the digital cameras
I've tried just don't cut the mustard.

My advice would be to try out new model DSLRs as they are released & buy
one when you find one that meets your needs. In the meantime, shoot film
& scan it.

Old June 25th 04, 02:01 PM
news.meganetnews.com

Was great in concept but I guess many factors conspired against it! Check
out http://www.dpreview.com/news/0109/01...mvaporizes.asp

Ron

Old June 25th 04, 02:31 PM
Simon Dawson

Why not just keep with your 35mm camera. When you get them developed at the
Photo Processors ask them to stick them onto CD for you.

In the UK the service costs £3 per disk for a 36 exposure film which is not
a lot.

Simon

Old June 25th 04, 02:40 PM
Darrell Larose

"Stephen Gray" wrote in message
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of the 'Digital Film' that would allow
you to turn your old SLR into a digital camera. It seems I would have to
win the lottery to buy a new digital SLR - particularly a full frame one.

get superb pictures from my old Canon and lenses and the digital cameras
I've tried just don't cut the mustard.

SPG

Imagek, aka eFilm aka SiliconFilm never existed. It was "Fartware" The sole
purpose was to generate Venture Capital. The thing has been on the web since
1998, it had a tiny sensor with a FOV factor of 2.7X. I would only work in
the Nikon F90(N90), F90X, Canon EOS 1. It had no preview. Later models ended
up with a huge pack (ala Kodak DSC cameras) to house the electronics. So
effectively it never existed.

* Fartwa Vapourware with an odour

Old June 25th 04, 05:59 PM
Mark B.

"Stephen Gray" wrote in message
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of the 'Digital Film' that would allow
you to turn your old SLR into a digital camera. It seems I would have to
win the lottery to buy a new digital SLR - particularly a full frame one.

get superb pictures from my old Canon and lenses and the digital cameras
I've tried just don't cut the mustard.

SPG

Vaporware. Been discussed for years, nothing has materialized. The website
is he http://www.siliconfilm.com/
Lots of pretty pictures & specs, no product to actually sell to you.

Mark

Old June 27th 04, 07:37 PM
Roland Karlsson

"news.meganetnews.com" yuts@ wrote in
news.com:

Was great in concept but I guess many factors conspired against it!

No - it was never an interesting concept at all.

To make a digital cartridge and put it in a camera
that i built for film is not an easy task. There is
no room for the sensor. There is no indication when
the picture is taken, so the cartdridge does not know
when to expose. The cartridge is sealed inside the
camera, so you cannot access it. All film cameras lock
different, so the cartridge must be adaptable. You must
somehow (with some mechanics) fool the camera that it
is winding film.

Much easier and better to make DSLR bodies and entirely
new cameras.

/Roland
Old June 27th 04, 07:51 PM
Matti Vuori

Roland Karlsson wrote in
:
Was great in concept but I guess many factors conspired against it!

No - it was never an interesting concept at all.

Yes - it always was, and still is a very interesting concept. Apparently
it is just that the implementation is difficult.

Much easier and better to make DSLR bodies and entirely
new cameras.

That doesn't make the concept any less interesting.

--
Matti Vuori, http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm

Old June 27th 04, 07:57 PM
Roland Karlsson

Matti Vuori wrote in :

No - it was never an interesting concept at all.

Yes - it always was, and still is a very interesting concept. Apparently
it is just that the implementation is difficult.

Much easier and better to make DSLR bodies and entirely
new cameras.

That doesn't make the concept any less interesting.

It was never a technically feasible concept IMHO.

And (to me) the concept also was of marginally value.
I can't see why I should buy an inset to my camera when
I could have new one? Beats me. I see no advantages.
Others maybe than the cost advantage, but the lack of
technical feasability kills that one also.

/Roland