Series VII(7) slip-on adapter size?

Old August 1st 04, 04:11 PM
davidl

Default Series VII(7) slip-on adapter size?

Hello,

I recently purchased an older lens (8 1/2" Calumet-Ilex Caltar in Ilex #3
shutter) without threaded front barrel, which has the outer diameter 2" -
I'd like to get lenshood and be able to use filters; it looks that my only
option is to use slip-on adapter; but which size? Since Series VI(6) size is
obviously too small and Series VIII(8) adapter (which I own) too large, I've
been thinking that maybe Series VII(7) adapter would be a match? Could
anyone confirm whether some kind of Series VII slip-on/push-on adapter could
possibly work? Any other inexpensive filter holder/lenshood accessory
suitable for this kind of lens? I don't want to invest into compendium hood
because the cost and size; the lens is used primarily on 4x5 field camera.

Thanks for advice in advance.

Regards
Dave

Old August 1st 04, 04:49 PM
jjs

"davidl" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently purchased an older lens (8 1/2" Calumet-Ilex Caltar in Ilex #3
shutter) without threaded front barrel, which has the outer diameter 2" -
I'd like to get lenshood and be able to use filters; it looks that my only
option is to use slip-on adapter; but which size? [...]

At this moment I have in my hands exactly what you want: a Kodak brand
series VII (7) slip on series adapter that has a 2" ID to slip over a
nominal 2" OD lens. That said, I think you will be better off finding the
same 2" size (VII series) that steps up to a larger filter/hood size, but
that's a personal preference. (In fact, the one I have here is VII to VIII
and has a large VIII hood. Very handy things. (It's funny but I was just
about to pack it up for the day.)

I'll bet if you check e-bay, searching properly, you will find a few.

Hope this helps.

jjs

Old August 1st 04, 05:24 PM
davidl

"jjs" wrote in message
"davidl" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for quick response, jjs.

this is kind of information I exactly needed - now I know what to look for.
I've been searching eBay frequently, but until now I didn't know whether it
would fit my lens or not...

I have plenty of Series VIII(8) accessories including the Kodak hood; I saw
step-up adapters Series VII-VIII which I'll try to get then as well so I
don't have to buy all the stuff all over again.

Regards
Dave

Old August 1st 04, 05:24 PM
davidl

Old August 1st 04, 05:40 PM
jjs

"davidl" wrote in message

Thanks for quick response, jjs.

this is kind of information I exactly needed - now I know what to look

for.
[...]
I have plenty of Series VIII(8) accessories including the Kodak hood; I

saw
step-up adapters Series VII-VIII which I'll try to get then as well so I
don't have to buy all the stuff all over again.

My pleasure.Sometimes Usenet really does work. By the way, the following
current eBay item is _not_ what I have. Mine doesn't have the 'tabs'. It is
a solid unit. I cannot vouch for the integrity of those 'tab' designs.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A160222F8

Old August 1st 04, 06:00 PM
davidl

"jjs" wrote in message
"davidl" wrote in message

Thanks for quick response, jjs.

this is kind of information I exactly needed - now I know what to look

for.
[...]
I have plenty of Series VIII(8) accessories including the Kodak hood; I

saw
step-up adapters Series VII-VIII which I'll try to get then as well so I
don't have to buy all the stuff all over again.

My pleasure.Sometimes Usenet really does work. By the way, the

following
current eBay item is _not_ what I have. Mine doesn't have the 'tabs'. It

is
a solid unit. I cannot vouch for the integrity of those 'tab' designs.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A160222F8

Thanks for that link - I've seen this adapter earlier and even asked the
seller (he relisted the item at least once) a question about the inner
diameter of the tabs - it's 1 3/4" so not good. BTW, the overall design with
tabs is not too bad - I use it on 12" Comm.Ektar. The Caltar lens I got is
really in the nice shape and with immaculate coating - so I'd like to at
least protect it with filter and hood - this is particularly needed because
I have it for outdoor use. I'll take either solid or tabbed design -
whatever I'll be able to find...

Regards
Dave

Old August 1st 04, 11:00 PM
Richard Knoppow

"jjs" wrote in message
"davidl" wrote in message

Thanks for quick response, jjs.

this is kind of information I exactly needed - now I

know what to look
for.
[...]
I have plenty of Series VIII(8) accessories including

the Kodak hood; I
saw
step-up adapters Series VII-VIII which I'll try to get

then as well so I
don't have to buy all the stuff all over again.

My pleasure.Sometimes Usenet really does work. By the

way, the following
current eBay item is _not_ what I have. Mine doesn't have

the 'tabs'. It is
a solid unit. I cannot vouch for the integrity of those

'tab' designs.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A160222F8

The tabbed ring like the one pictured by the link, is
the standard form for push-on adaptors. The solid ones are
probably thread adaptors. Push-on adaptors came in a wide
variety of sizes. The Series VII from 1-11/16" (42.5mm) to
2" (50.5mm) total 6 sizes. The Series VIII from 2-1/16"
(52.0mm) to 2-5/8" (67.0mm) total 9 sizes. The sizes within
each group are not evenly spaced. An adaptor which is
_slightly_ too large may be adjusted by bending the tabs to
fit.
For larger lenses Kodak sold a clamp-on wooden holder
for 4x4" glass filters or gelatin filters in holders. Tiffen
and others sold similar push-on adaptors which have
compatible threads with the Kodak ones. The adaptors came
with a retaining ring but if you use it with a screw-in lens
shade the shade acts as the retainer.
There are some modern "compendium" adaptors that will fit
these lenses but they are expensive.

--
---
Richard Knoppow