Olympus C5050Z

Old September 23rd 03, 06:11 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Saturation and contrast are set to default; I may play with dropping down
the contrast a bit, but the saturation seems fine (to me).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"WebKatz" wrote in message
om...
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message

igy.com...

The noise issue hasn't been a problem for me; I set the camera to a -3
sharpness setting and do any needed sharpening (which isn't generally
needed) later on.

What do you have the other settings (saturation and contrast) set to?

Thanks,

Dave

Old September 23rd 03, 08:43 PM
Q. Lu

I have used both Nimh and LiIons, I have to say LiIons are better performer.
LiIons do not lose power much when not used while Nimh lose 1.5%-3% daily. A
nice feature on Sony F-series is you can see how many minutes you have left
on the battery. I am sure other brands using LiIons can implement this
without much trouble, but I doubt you can ever do this with Nimh, they just
don't communicate with cameras much.
Although you can get LiIons from ebay for $15-$25 apiece and that sounds
reasonable, Nimh is way cheaper and easier to get, you are absolutely right
about it.

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
news.com...
In article ,
says...
Put your nimh idle for 2 weeks and then check how much power it has

left,
and do the same with BP-511, you will see the difference. Then there is
charging time for flashes, memory effect, how accurate camera can detect

the
power level left in batteries. Nihm may be cheaper, but defenitely not

the
top performer.

The memory effect for NiMH is very moderate; charging time for flashes
should be low, as NiMHs can deliver high currents (not sure how LiIons
perform under very heavy load. Concerning the storage, just recharge the
batteries after a long idle period of time.

Advantages of AA NiMH:
- widely available everywhere; in case of emergency you can even run
your camera with standard non-rechargeable AA batteries
- low cost
- no risk the proprietary battery won't be manufactured anymore one day
--

Alfred Molon

Old September 24th 03, 01:11 AM
Jimmy

"WebKatz" wrote in message
om...
What do you have the other settings (saturation and contrast) set to?

With firmware v77, I ran sharpness to -3 and 0 for the other two settings. Now that the firmware
has been upgraded to v79, I find the camera sharpening is less aggressive and now set it to 0 as
well. You will need to experiment with the settings to see which meets with your expectations.

Old September 24th 03, 03:09 AM
Tom Pfeiffer

I like dark green brown!

Tom P.

"M. Souris" wrote in message
But which has the prettiest color...?

Old September 28th 03, 10:07 PM
JK

"Q. Lu" wrote:

I have used both Nimh and LiIons, I have to say LiIons are better performer.

Not per dollar.

LiIons do not lose power much when not used while Nimh lose 1.5%-3% daily.

At 70F, nimh batteries only lose around 1% of the remaining power per day.
It is rare that I even go a full week without using my digicam.

nice feature on Sony F-series is you can see how many minutes you have left
on the battery.

So what.

I am sure other brands using LiIons can implement this
without much trouble, but I doubt you can ever do this with Nimh, they just
don't communicate with cameras much.

Why do I need this? I never know in advance how much I will use the digicam
in a day, so I will still need a few spare batteries.

Although you can get LiIons from ebay for $15-$25 apiece

Where? How many amp hours? Are they reliable?

Old September 29th 03, 04:33 AM
Q. Lu

"JK" wrote in message

"Q. Lu" wrote:

I have used both Nimh and LiIons, I have to say LiIons are better

performer.

Not per dollar.

I never said that. LiIons are more expensive. G3 is more than twice more
expensive than a gateway 4 mp. How do you compare their performance per
dollar?

LiIons do not lose power much when not used while Nimh lose 1.5%-3%

daily.

At 70F, nimh batteries only lose around 1% of the remaining power per day.
It is rare that I even go a full week without using my digicam.

My nexell drain out in 2-3 weeks without usage. It is the spare batteries I
was talking about. Say you prepare three sets of AA but only used one set in
a day. After a week, you need to use the camera again, what do you do with
the 2nd and third sets? What if the 3rd set is not used even after second
time? Do you recharge it full or not? in case of LiIons, the spares sit in
your bag a month or two and you don't have to think about it.

nice feature on Sony F-series is you can see how many minutes you have

left
on the battery.

So what.

Do you want your car tell you how much gas it has left in the tank?

I am sure other brands using LiIons can implement this
without much trouble, but I doubt you can ever do this with Nimh, they

just
don't communicate with cameras much.

Why do I need this? I never know in advance how much I will use the

digicam
in a day, so I will still need a few spare batteries.

Exactly my point. You don't know what is left so you have to prepare for
many spares. And you rarely use all the spares, and they drain without
usage. A waste of battery like.

Although you can get LiIons from ebay for $15-$25 apiece

Where? How many amp hours? Are they reliable?

higher than the OEM and I found they last no shorter than OEM. If you go for
the cheap nimh batteries, for about $1 each, you get less reliable batteries
than what I am talking about.

Check out the Canon and Sony forums on Dpreview and see how happy people are
with LiIons. I used to pay $10/pack on 2CR5 batteries when I shot films and
I wanted to use AA so much. Now I have used LiIons and Nimh AAs, I like
LiIons better. Yes, they are more expensive, but they are much cheaper than
the 2CR5 I used to buy, and I think the extra performance is worth it.

Old September 29th 03, 08:28 PM
Q. Lu

Simply comparing wh numbers doesn't give you the full picture. With the same
set of Nimh AA, Minolta 5/7 series only give you 1/3 number of shots as you
can get on a C5050.

It is a combination of camera efficiency/battery wh# that determines battery
life.

As you pointed out, there are 2300mAH AA now. There are also higher mah
LiIon's now. You can get 1400mah replacement for NP-FM50 or BP-511 for
$15-$25 on eBay. In case of camcorders, you can even get 3600mah
replacements.

In any case, Nimh AAs is a good and cheap way to go. LiIon has its own
advantage on performance, otherwise they wouldn't be used on almost all high
end models.

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
news.com...
In article ,
says...

I never said that. LiIons are more expensive. G3 is more than twice more
expensive than a gateway 4 mp. How do you compare their performance per
dollar?

A 2300 mAH set of 4 NiMh has over 11 WH of energy (vs. 8 Wh for the
Canon G3 LiIon battery) and is cheaper.

--

Alfred Molon

Old October 1st 03, 05:55 AM
JK

"Q. Lu" wrote:

"JK" wrote in message

"Q. Lu" wrote:

[...]

At 70F, the batteries retain 3/4 of their charge if not used for a month,
and 55% if not used for two months. At 100F, the batteries would lose
25% of the charge in just 10 days. My usual procedure is to rotate through
six sets of batteries. It is rare that one of these six sets goes unused for
more than a month. The batteries are usually kept at a cool temperature
except when I am out for the day shooting during the summer. During the
summer it is rare that I don't rotate through the six sets within ten days.
I don't have a need to charge batteries that have not been used since
the last charge. For those who don't use their cameras often, and who
are in a hot climate and don't have air conditioning, this may be more
of an issue. I also have more than three chargers, and typically charge
up to three sets of batteries at a time.

Do you recharge it full or not? in case of LiIons, the spares sit in
your bag a month or two and you don't have to think about it.

nice feature on Sony F-series is you can see how many minutes you have

left
on the battery.

So what.

Do you want your car tell you how much gas it has left in the tank?

The car has only one gas tank. One can have a few sets of batteries.

I am sure other brands using LiIons can implement this
without much trouble, but I doubt you can ever do this with Nimh, they

just
don't communicate with cameras much.

Why do I need this? I never know in advance how much I will use the

digicam
in a day, so I will still need a few spare batteries.

Exactly my point. You don't know what is left so you have to prepare for
many spares.

No, I don't know how much I will use the camera, so I need a few spares.
I would need a few spares even if the camera indicated how much power
was left in the batteries.

And you rarely use all the spares,

I rarely use all of them in a single day, but usually rotate through them in
a week or two.

and they drain without
usage.

Not much at moderate temperatures. I rarely need to charge a battery that
has not been used since the last charge. At 70F the batteries have 75%
of the charge if not used for a whole month.

A waste of battery like.

Although you can get LiIons from ebay for $15-$25 apiece

Where? How many amp hours? Are they reliable?

higher than the OEM and I found they last no shorter than OEM. If you go for
the cheap nimh batteries, for about $1 each, you get less reliable batteries
than what I am talking about.

There are reliable nimh batteries at around $1.50-$2 each though.