Another $1749 to B&H

Old June 22nd 18, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Another $1749 to B&H

I just decided to go long with my Fujifilm setup, and I have ordered the XF
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR for $1749 (with $150 discount). It is
scheduled to get to me via FedEx on Tuesday.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig..._xf100_400mmf4
5_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

Savageduck

Old June 22nd 18, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Savageduck wrote:
I just decided to go long with my Fujifilm setup, and I have ordered the XF
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR for $1749 (with $150 discount). It is
scheduled to get to me via FedEx on Tuesday.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig..._xf100_400mmf4
5_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

You like Fuji, you’re committed to them now, so what the hell, right? It’s
a needed lens for any system, and it’s only money.

I have now bought into the apple world starting with this iPad I’m typing
on, using NewsTap. I also got pro camera, and all the usual processing
software. I got real lucky with the iPad. Just before I headed out the door
to pay $677 at Best Buy, I made one more check online, and found an open
box deal that let me buy the iPad, a decent keyboard, the camera kit, and a
very protective case for just $6 more than I was going to pay for the iPad
alone. I got real lucky, and the open box iPad looks entirely untouched.

I like it so far, but there is a learning curve moving from android. I’ll
post updates if I ever learn to use this thing.

Old June 22nd 18, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I have now bought into the apple world starting with this iPad Im typing
on, using NewsTap. I also got pro camera, and all the usual processing
software. I got real lucky with the iPad. Just before I headed out the door
to pay $677 at Best Buy, I made one more check online, and found an open
box deal that let me buy the iPad, a decent keyboard, the camera kit, and a
very protective case for just $6 more than I was going to pay for the iPad
alone. I got real lucky, and the open box iPad looks entirely untouched.

that sounds like a pretty good deal

keep in mind that while newstap is the only viable newsreader on ios,
it's not very good and not an example of what can be done.

get garage band (free), if you haven't already:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garageband/id408709785?mt=8

I like it so far, but there is a learning curve moving from android. Ill
post updates if I ever learn to use this thing.

any change is a learning curve.
Old June 22nd 18, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 22, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in article ):

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf100_400mmf45_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

You like Fuji, you’re committed to them now, so what the hell, right? It’s
a needed lens for any system, and it’s only money.

Yup! With the 100-800mm I am abput $8,000 commited. Here is the other part of
that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yeyllbh2jd8g0a/IMG_2527e.jpg

I have now bought into the apple world starting with this iPad I’m typing
on, using NewsTap. I also got pro camera, and all the usual processing
software. I got real lucky with the iPad. Just before I headed out the door
to pay $677 at Best Buy, I made one more check online, and found an open
box deal that let me buy the iPad, a decent keyboard, the camera kit, and a
very protective case for just $6 more than I was going to pay for the iPad
alone. I got real lucky, and the open box iPad looks entirely untouched.

I like it so far, but there is a learning curve moving from android. I’ll
post updates if I ever learn to use this thing.

Great! Have fun.

Savageduck

Old June 22nd 18, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 13:10:52 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jun 22, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in article ):

wrote:
I just decided to go long with my Fujifilm setup, and I have ordered the XF
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR for $1749 (with $150 discount). It is
scheduled to get to me via FedEx on Tuesday.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf100_400mmf45_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

You like Fuji, youre committed to them now, so what the hell, right? Its
a needed lens for any system, and its only money.

Yup! With the 100-800mm I am abput $8,000 commited. Here is the other part of
that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yeyllbh2jd8g0a/IMG_2527e.jpg

Fuji has such a strong rep and loyal following I wouldn't think twice
about committing to them if I go mirrorless one of these days. I'm
sure they'll be around longer than Pentax...
Old June 22nd 18, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 15:23:06 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I have now bought into the apple world starting with this iPad Im typing
on, using NewsTap. I also got pro camera, and all the usual processing
software. I got real lucky with the iPad. Just before I headed out the door
to pay $677 at Best Buy, I made one more check online, and found an open
box deal that let me buy the iPad, a decent keyboard, the camera kit, and a
very protective case for just $6 more than I was going to pay for the iPad
alone. I got real lucky, and the open box iPad looks entirely untouched.

that sounds like a pretty good deal

Blind luck. It was actually at Best Buy, too.

keep in mind that while newstap is the only viable newsreader on ios,
it's not very good and not an example of what can be done.

Part of the death of Usenet.It's pretty clumsy to use, but it's meant
only as a substitute when traveling.

get garage band (free), if you haven't already:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garageband/id408709785?mt=8

There are zillions of very good music apps for ios, including some
great sounding synths. Lots of music pros use ios for their work. I
kept reading reviews of the apps, and I was envious. Now I can have
them, too. It's going to be a while before I get around to that,
though. Moving really sucks.

Old June 22nd 18, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
Savageduck says...

Yup! With the 100-800mm I am abput $8,000 commited. Here is the other part of
that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yeyllbh2jd8g0a/IMG_2527e.jpg

But where to put the new 100-400? You'll need a new bag.
--
Alfred Molon

Old June 22nd 18, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 22, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...

Yup! With the 100-800mm I am about $8,000 commited. Here is the other part
of that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yeyllbh2jd8g0a/IMG_2527e.jpg

But where to put the new 100-400? You'll need a new bag.

I will try a bag rearrangement, that particular bag is pretty flexible. It is
not my plan to take everything on every trip, or local shoot. That and I
already have a good collection of bags, but another one couldn’t hurt. I
will keep you posted after I have the 100-400 in hand.

Savageduck

Old June 22nd 18, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 6/22/18 PDT 2:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 22, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...

Yup! With the 100-800mm I am about $8,000 commited. Here is the other part
of that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yeyllbh2jd8g0a/IMG_2527e.jpg

But where to put the new 100-400? You'll need a new bag.

I will try a bag rearrangement, that particular bag is pretty flexible. It is
not my plan to take everything on every trip, or local shoot. That and I
already have a good collection of bags, but another one couldn’t hurt. I
will keep you posted after I have the 100-400 in hand.

Looks great! Happy shootin'!

"The lens has been designed for handheld shooting with a 5.0-stop* image
stabilization system (and weighs less than 1.4kg)

I think I understand the weight part, but how does one interpret the
IS's 5 stop spec?

Old June 22nd 18, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 22, 2018, John McWilliams wrote
(in article ):

[...]

You interpret the IS 5 stop spec in much the same way you interpret the
claims made by other manufacturers of IS/VR/OIS lenses. VR and VRII in my
Nikkor lenses seem to afford me about 3 stops of stabilization leeway. With
my other Fujinon lenses with IS, the 18-55mm, and the 55-200mm the IS
performance for handheld shots in questionable light has been more than
acceptable for me.

None of my Fujinon primes, 14mm f/2.8, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/2.0, or 35mm, f/1.4
have IS, and I don’t miss it with them as they are pretty good all round
performers. The most amazing is the low light performance of the 16mm f/1.4
which is my current favored lens.

Several reviews have had their opinions on Fujifilm’s IS in this lens:

"The image stabilization is quite good on this lens, one of the best I have
seen outside an in-body stabilization system. Fuji claims five stops of use
with IS on. I can honestly say I was shooting at 400mm (600mm full frame
equivalent) at a 1/60th of a second numerous times with tack sharp images.”

https://luminous-landscape.com/fujif...6-r-lm-ois-wr-
lens-hand-review/

"Fuji claims a 5-stop effective optical image stabilization system. The
system is also able to detect when you are panning, and will only negate
vertical motion in this case.

I consistently got sharp shots hand-held at 1/125s when zoomed to 400mm, with
shots as slow as 1/80s. With the 1.4x TC on, I have sharp images shot at
1/125s. The initial reason for testing this lens was to evaluate whether it,
combined with the X-T2, would besuitable for bird photography
(https://photographylife.com/fuji-x-t...00mm-for-bird-
photography). Had I known I would also be writing a detailed lens review, I
would have tried capturing images at even slower shutter speeds!”

https://photographylife.com/reviews/fuji-xf-100-400mm/2

Savageduck