Skateboarding

Old September 5th 16, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Skateboarding

On 2016-09-05 20:39:18 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

The plan was to go the skateboard park and try the steps Eric used,
but the weather didn't cooperate. I shot a series using Shutter
Priority, ISO 400, f/11, 1/400th, AF-Release, 51 point (3D-Tracking)
with my Nikon D300 and Tamron 18/270. I wanted some captures before I
tried back-button. Shot at about 11:30 AM.

But, then, the skies opened up with a torrential rain. It's dry now,
but the rain lasted about an hour. Once again, I'm draining the
swimming pool because with today's and the recent rains the water is
slurping over the deck.

This skateboard park is rather wimpy, but it's the only one I know
about. There's supposed to be a better one a few miles away, but the
project has been canceled for the day. I'd like to find one with a
bowl and higher ramps.

My "model" was a nice kid who agreed to change his normal direction so
I could have the trees as his background. He'd been on another ramp
where the background would have been less desirable.

The interesting thing was another kid had been photographing his
friend using his phone. He heard me ask my model to use the other
ramp so the trees would provide a better background, looked at my
images, and then had his friend change directions commenting that the
trees made the better background. A budding young photographer.

The ramps have steel plate surfaces that reflect light upwards. It
tends to wash out the images.

The last photo shows one of those scooters that was used in Eric's
photos. The boy using that couldn't get any air, so I didn't use any
shots with him on the ramp.

https://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Skateboarding/

That set up seems to have worked quite well.

Savageduck