Advice for camera bag, film developing and film choice

Old August 24th 04, 03:23 PM
JZ

Default Advice for camera bag, film developing and film choice

Hi,

I (rookie) have Canon EOS 7NE, Tamron 28-200 len, and 2 filters. I am
not sure which kind of camera bag I should buy. Any suggestions?

Also, normally in where do you guys develop your 35mm film? And which
films do you use? If I use Kodak films, does the exposure chart from
Kodak web site work well?

Thanks for any input!
Old August 24th 04, 03:39 PM
Joseph Meehan

JZ wrote:
Hi,

I (rookie) have Canon EOS 7NE, Tamron 28-200 len, and 2 filters. I am
not sure which kind of camera bag I should buy. Any suggestions?

First decide where you are going to use it and how. If you are going to
use it going to cousin Fred's place in the car that would mean a more
traditional bag. If you are more likely to use it an a vacation trip like I
do and do a lot of walking in town and in the woods, that would indicate
something in the backpack style. BTW, it need not say camera anywhere on
the bag. Many backpacks work very well and not having something identifying
it as a camera bag, makes it less of a target for thieves.

Next decide how much and what equipment you will need it for. You may
buy more in the future, but then see the next comment

Also consider you may want more than one bag for different uses. I have
several. I find that often I don't use any bag when traveling light.

Also, normally in where do you guys develop your 35mm film?

I usually do it in my darkroom in the basement. I also have a local 1
hour lab that does a good job for me when I am not doing enough to make it
worth setting up. On trips I find local 1 hour places so I can see how
things are going and eliminate any chance of X-ray damage.

And which
films do you use?

Of today's films I like Fuji, but Kodak also has good films. Film
choice involves several factors including what you are photographing and
your personal choice. I might add that I use negative films. You may
prefer slides.

If I use Kodak films, does the exposure chart from
Kodak web site work well?

The exposure charts provided by any manufacturer are good starting
points. However individual preferences and equipment mean you may need to
tweak them for your own use. Exposure is a whole art and science in itself.
It can take a lifetime to learn.

Thanks for any input!

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old August 24th 04, 08:56 PM
Paul W. Ross

Interestingly enough, I've found a hunter's "Dry Box," made by Plano
to be the most useful -- put some foam padding in the bottom. Tray
holds smallers stuff, and there is a compartment in the lid that is
nice for film. Holds 2 Pentax bodies, a couple spare lenses, film,
cable release, small flash, filters, lens hoods. Is water/dust tight.
Since I go most places in my car, this works well. For plane trips,
then some sort of smaller bag, or a backpack. Lenses are in padded
bags, as well as the camera bodies (B&H photo has these).

I do my B&W at home, or use a changing bag and daylight tank at my
summer place, and do the printing when I get back to home base. Color
at whatever local processor I have available.

As to film/exposure, the guides are just that -- a guide. Some
experimentation with a hand-held meter, 18% gray card or a MacBeth
chart are very insightful. Also read some of the Ansel Adams books for
starters.

Above all, take pictures! Critique your work. Get somebody else to
take a look at it.

For "instant" feedback, play around with a digital camera. You can
learn a lot quickly.
Old August 24th 04, 08:56 PM
Paul W. Ross

[...]

Is it Copal or copal? Then what is it? Nick Zentena Large Format Photography Equipment 14 July 27th 04 03:31 AM
Film developing Tina In The Darkroom 24 July 24th 04 06:51 PM
error in film developing? Stefano Bramato In The Darkroom 3 May 10th 04 07:59 AM
Sheet film developing Serge Korolev In The Darkroom 11 April 16th 04 09:01 AM