[OT] Enjoying this newsgroup

Old June 27th 04, 03:03 PM
Alan D-W

Default [OT] Enjoying this newsgroup

"Gisle Hannemyr" wrote in message

lately escalated to spamlike proportions. Many thanks to those who
stick the "[gp]" marker into the Subject field when responding to
the nutcase and his/her aliases and copycats. And even more thanks

Nutcase? Nah, George, or sg10.3, or whatever alias you like to select, is
our resident comedian. I haven't plonked him because I enjoy a good laugh.
If you ever get a chance to gaze upon his work do so in awe and wonder. I
suspect he is actually a Canon employee who was parachuted in to this NG to
spread lies and disinformation about Sigma cameras, thus turning them away
from the name and in the Canon direction.

Old June 27th 04, 05:47 PM
John McWilliams

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

After I've set up my newsreader to ignore threads where the subject
line contains at least one of substrings "sigma" "sd10" "foveon" and
"[gp]", the signal/noise ratio of this group has improved
considerably.

This is the first time in more than ten years of Usenet participation
I've resorted to use this feature in my newsreader. I really deplore
filtering messages, but the bizarre controversy surrounding Foveon
technology (i.e. the Foveon-trolls /and/ those who feed them) has
lately escalated to spamlike proportions. Many thanks to those who
stick the "[gp]" marker into the Subject field when responding to
the nutcase and his/her aliases and copycats. And even more thanks
to those who refrain from responding to this sillyness!

I think I was the only one to put in [GP] in the subject line, and I am
glad to know it's been useful to a number of readers.

But that was then; and this is..... or, well, I have a bit of a
different "take" on this, as a large number of folks have given
themselves the pleasure of spoofing or impersonating GP, as "he" is able
to get a rise almost every time. That adds to the count on responses to
trolling, so someone thinks he's winning something or other.

Whether the "real" GP is Steve G., or whomever, only if he posts the
on-the-surface "helpful" info is it at all worth responding, and that
only to save the new person time and trouble sorting it all out.

--

John McWilliams