My Crappy Peacock Picture

Old June 26th 04, 08:27 PM
Brian C. Baird

Default My Crappy Peacock Picture

http://www.pbase.com/image/30601993/

Unsharpened, unedited, etc. etc.

Not a great shot, it was hand-held at a borderline shutter speed and I
would have needed the extra reach of a 200 or 300 mm lens to frame it
correctly.

I'm not going to comment on it further other than I would not print this
photo. Off to canoe!
Old June 26th 04, 09:12 PM
WhaleShark

Brian C. Baird wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/image/30601993/

Unsharpened, unedited, etc. etc.

Pretty nice!

--

QUIPd 1.02: (209 of 679)
- "You didn't slay the dragon?!"
Old June 27th 04, 01:01 AM
David Kilpatrick

Brian C. Baird wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/image/30601993/

Unsharpened, unedited, etc. etc.

Not a great shot, it was hand-held at a borderline shutter speed and I
would have needed the extra reach of a 200 or 300 mm lens to frame it
correctly.

I'm not going to comment on it further other than I would not print this
photo. Off to canoe!

Well, I am still puzzling how with apparent sunshine in Bronx Zoo, the
exposure could possibly be 1/180 at f6.7 at ISO 400 in June - some parts
of the image are actually in sun - when the SD10 shot I posted was 1/200
at f7.1 on a dull April day in the UK (overcast). The colour difference
is obvious, but the sensitivity difference is not.

Parts of your shot are in sun, and are maybe no more than 1 stop over,
while you used -1 on exposure according to the EXIF data. Now according
to my old extinction exposure meter and my Johnson's Exposure
Calculator, if you have sunshine in June in a temperature latitude and
you are using ISO 400, even a subject in open shade is only two stops
below 1/500 at f11, which should be 1/250 at f8. You seem to be a full
f-stop over this even after dialing in -1 over-ride. That seems to imply
that the camera was really giving an exposure suitable for a 100 ISO film.

What is happening here? How can you possibly have 1/180th at f6.7 with
areas of sunlit detail in the image at ISO 400? Seems to me the metering
is very peculiar indeed, since a manual setting would have been 1/250th
at f8 and have resulted in overexposed grass (lit) areas and correcty
peacock (in shade).

Not criticising the final result - just extremely puzzled by the EXIF
data, and the conditions prevailing when the shot was taken.

David

Old June 27th 04, 05:35 AM
Brian C. Baird

In article ,
says...
[...]

Simple answer: The peacock was in the shade of a large tree (seen in
background) during partly cloudy weather. The highlighted grass isn't
quite overblown as it would be in full sun.
Old June 27th 04, 07:27 PM
bagal

Brian - it takes a sense of commitment & purpose to post a link like this.
I am grateful.

Would I be correct in saying both images have qualitative differences?

In the same magazine (see an earlier post under a different thread) the
featured pro says that it is not technical skill that gives the edge but
some aesthetic quality & consistency (I am paraphrasing) that convinces
client to part with readies and book a photographer.

Can I download this image to hard drive and take a look at it later?

Ta

das B

.. .