False advertising, is it illegal?

Old November 8th 03, 05:27 AM
Lunaray

Default False advertising, is it illegal?

Is it illegal to post false info & erroneous prices on a commerecial dealer
web site?

Case in point: I ordered a Pentax 67 II body & AE prism finder at Wells
Digital http://store.yahoo.com/wellsdigital/10291.html only to find out that
this is a "Grey Market" item (not as they describe on their site) and the
price is higher than indicated. I don't know what they're actually asking
for these two items, I got a message on my answering machine telling me that
there is a problem with the price they quoted me on the phone and on their
web site and I won't find out intil I can call them back on Monday. Now I
don't mind taking a chance at buying something "Grey Market" to save some
bucks, but I certainly don't like being lied to. Has anyone here bought
anything from this company? Thanks!
--
Ray ( www.rayspace.com )
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere,

Old November 8th 03, 06:48 PM
Randy Stewart

Ray,

It's not so much a matter of "legal" as business practice. You describe a
scam which has been the stock and trade of dodgy mail order camera venders
for 50 years.
What you need to do is:

Call the seller and cancel the order.
Write the seller and cancel the order, sending by real mail with a certified
mail deliver receipt.
Call your credit card issuer and reverse the change, which almost certainly
has been processed, even though they haven't sent you the camera. [This is a
common abuse practiced even by the "great" B&H Photo in NYC.]
Buy from a dealer with a confirmed price or even on ebay from a private
seller before you get into bed with this type of vender again. [I got a
mint Pentax 67II with AE prism off ebay this year for about $1325 delivered.
Very nice deal.]

Old November 8th 03, 08:22 PM
Lunaray

Thanks Randy, that's probably good advice and you're not the only one who
has told me this. I just don't understand how a business can keep going
with these kinds of tactics. I bought a used lens at KEH for the 67 II at
the same time as the WellsDigital order and it was processed immediately,
and I received a confirmation and UPS tracking number like I'm accustomed to
receiving when I buy stuff on the web from reputable companies, so maybe KEH
is a good company to deal with and they do have a used 67 II body, so maybe
I'll go there. I'm beginning to feel like I'm shopping for a car.

Old November 11th 03, 02:29 PM
Aaron Queenan

Yes it is illegal. They have to honour the published prices, unless it is a
genuine mistake which they correct immediately.

Contract your local Office of Fair Trading for information or to complain
about them.

Regards,
Aaron Queenan.

}
} Case in point: I ordered a Pentax 67 II body & AE prism finder at Wells
} Digital http://store.yahoo.com/wellsdigital/10291.html only to find out
that
} this is a "Grey Market" item (not as they describe on their site) and the
} price is higher than indicated. I don't know what they're actually asking
} for these two items, I got a message on my answering machine telling me
that
} there is a problem with the price they quoted me on the phone and on their
} web site and I won't find out intil I can call them back on Monday. Now I
} don't mind taking a chance at buying something "Grey Market" to save some
} bucks, but I certainly don't like being lied to. Has anyone here bought
} anything from this company? Thanks!
} --
} Ray ( www.rayspace.com )
} -------------------------------------------

Old November 12th 03, 07:42 AM
Lunaray

After canceling my order, and after I filled out a "Yahoo Merchant" review
form, I got a call from the Sales Manager at Wells Digital and he was very
apologetic for the erroneous information posted on their web site and they
will honor the price shown! Good to know that there are honest companies
out there, despite what some people have told me!

Old November 12th 03, 11:33 PM
Dan Fromm

"Lunaray" wrote in message
[...]

That's nice, but still and all they did try to rob you.