Meaning of ISO value in digital photography?

Old June 21st 18, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Meaning of ISO value in digital photography?

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

I did find my first exposure meter the other day, well a bit of it, think the
make was sekonda or similar

sekonic

and it used a CDs cell I think, it had a needle
and a dial and a little plastic cream shutter that rolled over the sensor.
Next time it re-appears I'll have to photograph it.

that's for measuring incident light.
Old June 21st 18, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2018-06-21 11:04, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 21 June 2018 05:07:29 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 02:17:50 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

Before the ASA standard most film was rated in Weston and DIN. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_speed#Weston

That was a bit before my time so I never really experienced it.

I did find my first exposure meter the other day, well a bit of it, think the make was sekonda or similar and it used a CDs cell I think, it had a needle and a dial and a little plastic cream shutter that rolled over the sensor.
Next time it re-appears I'll have to photograph it.

The description matches one my father had. I have it somewhere, but he
had to stop using it when the calibration went wrong and we did not know
how to mend it. It used no batteries.

The leather pouch is labelled sixtomat. The device itself lost the
label. The needle doesn't move anymore. On the rear it has a "color
finder" thing, name "Gossen". It is for finding the colour temperature.
It says my led lights on my desk give 2600, while the room ones give
perhaps 4000. It was for "cine" ussage, I think.

There are photos on google. Seems to be this one:
http://www.camarassinfronteras.com/accesorios/sixtomat/sixtomat.html

Yes that's a pretty close match.

but my pouch is different.

I don't think I had one to start with.

Mine has the exact shape of the device and fits exactly, so it is original.

Meanwhile, I found out I also have the instruction booklet :-)

My father was much more organized than me.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old June 22nd 18, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gray_wolf

On 6/21/2018 9:14 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 21 June 2018 10:51:55 UTC+1, Sandman wrote:
In article , Whisky-
dave wrote:

Jim-P:
In film cameras, ISO referrs to the sensitivity to light of the
emulsion. Manufacturers formulate different film emulsions with
different sensitivites tarding increased grain with increased
ISO speed. In a digital camera, presumably the sensor does not
adjust itself to have greater sensitivity. Or does it? So what
is happening in a digital camera when I choose a greater ISO
setting? Is more amplification being used?

Sandman:
Short answer: yup. ISO for film and "ISO" for digital sensor has
very little in common.

I thought they had quite a lot in common

Then you thought wrong.

I know I'm correct you have **** all idea.

I'll say this, my Minolta-IV-F-Light-Meter is dead nuts on both film and digital
when in the manual mode. Beats my Nikon D80's built in meter. Of course it's
essential for my 500 C/M and 4x5

Old June 22nd 18, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/21/2018 8:21 PM, gray_wolf wrote:
On 6/21/2018 9:14 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 21 June 2018 10:51:55 UTC+1, SandmanĀ* wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-
dave wrote:

[...]

I still use my old Sekonic For certain images, that I like to shoot in
manual mode. It too is spot on.

--
PeterN
Old June 23rd 18, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 09:39:51 -0400, nospam

Whisky-dave wrote:

I did find my first exposure meter the other day, well a bit of it, think the
make was sekonda or similar

sekonic

As in Seiko. A close relative of Epson.

Old June 23rd 18, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I did find my first exposure meter the other day, well a bit of it, think
the make was sekonda or similar

sekonic

As in Seiko. A close relative of Epson.

as in made by sekonic:
https://www.photrio.com/forum/attachments/dsc01839-jpg.60853/
https://www.photrio.com/forum/attachments/dsc01840-jpg.60854/

sekonic today:
https://www.sekonic.com/

seiko was well known for shutters:
https://www.photrio.com/forum/attachments/seiko-slv-front-jpg.156169/

close, but not quite were mamiya/sekor cameras:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/178/458003503_b04be90dd8_b.jpg
Old June 23rd 18, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 20:54:28 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I did find my first exposure meter the other day, well a bit of it, think
the make was sekonda or similar

sekonic

As in Seiko. A close relative of Epson.

as in made by sekonic:
https://www.photrio.com/forum/attachments/dsc01839-jpg.60853/
https://www.photrio.com/forum/attachments/dsc01840-jpg.60854/

sekonic today:
https://www.sekonic.com/

seiko was well known for shutters:
https://www.photrio.com/forum/attachments/seiko-slv-front-jpg.156169/

close, but not quite were mamiya/sekor cameras:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/178/458003503_b04be90dd8_b.jpg

https://www.sekonic.com/united-state...y/aboutus.aspx
"Established in June 1951 as Seiko Electric Industries Co., Ltd."

Eric Stevens