Bogen magic arm question

Old May 14th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Roger Cornelius

Default Bogen magic arm question

I would like to attach a small tripod head or a quick release adapter
directly to one of the studs on a Bogen magic arm. The magic arm has
a 3/8 inch threaded female stud on one end and a 1/4 inch threaded
female stud on the other. My understanding is tripod heads are also
female but I don't know about the quick release adapter I assume
this is possible but what do I need and where can I get it? Will the
same solution work for both a tripod head and the quick release
adapter?

Here's what I have:

Bogen/Manfrotto 2929 variable friction magic arm

And what I'd like to be able to attach to it:

Bogen/Manfrotto 484RC2 mini ball head
Bogen/Manfrotto 3229 tilt/swivel head
Bogen/Manfrotto 3299 quick connect adapter

Thanks for any help.

Old May 14th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

On May 13, 9:23 pm, Roger Cornelius wrote:
I would like to attach a small tripod head or a quick release adapter
directly to one of the studs on a Bogen magic arm. The magic arm has
a 3/8 inch threaded female stud on one end and a 1/4 inch threaded
female stud on the other. My understanding is tripod heads are also
female but I don't know about the quick release adapter I assume
this is possible but what do I need and where can I get it? Will the
same solution work for both a tripod head and the quick release
adapter?

Here's what I have:

Bogen/Manfrotto 2929 variable friction magic arm

And what I'd like to be able to attach to it:

Bogen/Manfrotto 484RC2 mini ball head
Bogen/Manfrotto 3229 tilt/swivel head
Bogen/Manfrotto 3299 quick connect adapter

Thanks for any help.

The 3299 rectangular plate adaptor comes with the 3157n quick
release plate to mount the camera on. The 2929 will allow you to
position the camera like a ball head tripod. the 3299 lists for
$37.00.

Draco

Old May 14th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Roger Cornelius

On May 14, 9:07 am, Draco wrote:
[...]

I replied to this this morning but it has not shown up. Apologies if
it appears twice.

So are you saying the 3299 includes the necessary screws/etc. to
connect it to the stud on the magic arm?

Also, I want to be able to lock the arm in position but still be able
to fine tune the camera position. For this I would like to use one of
the tripod heads I listed above. What hardware is needed to attach a
tripod head directly to the threaded stud on the magic arm?

Old May 15th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

On May 14, 3:10 pm, Roger Cornelius wrote:
On May 14, 9:07 am, Draco wrote:

[...]

tripod head directly to the threaded stud on the magic arm?- Hide quoted text -

It appears to be so. But I am checking with Bogen direct and should
get an answer to you today. I hope. IIRC the magic arms have a 3/8"
female thread. If this is so then all you would need is a double 3/8"
male adapter. This will allow you to mount any head to the magic arm.

Draco

Old May 16th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

On May 14, 9:07 am, Draco wrote:

[...]

Okay here is what I found out for you. Using a 2907 camera mounting
stud, you can mount the 484rc2 head to the magic arm. The stud has two
male threads. One 1/4" and one 3/8". The magic arm has two female
threaded sockets one a 1/4" and one 3/8". you would screw in the stud
adapter to the 1/4" and then mount the ball head to the 3/8" thread.
The 2907 runs about $3.00 and the 484RC2 is $77.00.
Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this. The pricing is in
US dollars and does not include any shipping.

Good luck.

Draco

Old May 19th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Roger Cornelius

On May 14, 9:07 am, Draco wrote:

[...]

I replied to this yesterday but google groups again failed to post the
message while claiming it did

Thanks for your help. I've already placed an order.