Print Time too long ?

Old June 18th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Print Time too long ?

yesterday night, i did my first printing, that's a test strip using a
blank negative, i want to see how many seconds of exposure i at lest
need to get the papaer's maximum black exposure. but, even i exposed
about 30s, the maximum dark part of the result is merely gray, it means
30s is not enough! before i change the time and experiment again, i
want to ask, is it normal? i just need to mark sure there is nothing
wroing. below are some relative info about the printing:

1, Omega D5-XL 4x5 enlarger, 80mm lens, 35mm negative, 8x10 print size
2, enlarger head was set to about 42cm
3, lens apperture was set to f/11
4. developed 1.5 min in D-72 1:2 solution

thanks in advance.

-
woody

Old June 18th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Steven Woody wrote:
yesterday night, i did my first printing, that's a test strip using a
blank negative, i want to see how many seconds of exposure i at lest
need to get the papaer's maximum black exposure. but, even i exposed
about 30s, the maximum dark part of the result is merely gray, it means
30s is not enough! before i change the time and experiment again, i
want to ask, is it normal? i just need to mark sure there is nothing
wroing. below are some relative info about the printing:

1, Omega D5-XL 4x5 enlarger, 80mm lens, 35mm negative, 8x10 print size
2, enlarger head was set to about 42cm
3, lens apperture was set to f/11
4. developed 1.5 min in D-72 1:2 solution

additional information:

5, that's a color printer with FUJI 250w/24v lamp
6, paper is ILForld's multigrade RC.

Old June 18th 06, 10:35 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On 17 Jun 2006 21:57:58 -0700, "Steven Woody"
wrote:

Steven Woody wrote:
yesterday night, i did my first printing, that's a test strip using a
blank negative, i want to see how many seconds of exposure i at lest
need to get the papaer's maximum black exposure. but, even i exposed
about 30s, the maximum dark part of the result is merely gray, it means
30s is not enough! before i change the time and experiment again, i
want to ask, is it normal? i just need to mark sure there is nothing
wroing. below are some relative info about the printing:

1, Omega D5-XL 4x5 enlarger, 80mm lens, 35mm negative, 8x10 print size
2, enlarger head was set to about 42cm
3, lens apperture was set to f/11
4. developed 1.5 min in D-72 1:2 solution

additional information:

5, that's a color printer with FUJI 250w/24v lamp
6, paper is ILForld's multigrade RC.

This would be about what I'd expect on my D-5. Of course I
don't use f/11 for most of my printing. Tight apertures are only of
value when making larger enlargements than the 6.5 X 9.5 I limit my
35's to.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old June 18th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote:

Steven Woody wrote:
[...]

Dear John,

do you know why D-5 enlarger need so much exposure time longer than a
normal
darkroom text recommended? i knew for some enlarger, if using 250w
lamp,
10 seconds exposure is enough. and, would you please suggest me a
start
point of exposure time to use for my case?

i've visited your web page, clearly you're a D-5 expert, nice to 'meet'
you :-) my D-5 enlarger was got from used market and no manual comes
with it, i was always being confused by a function of D-5 enlarger and
think you can tell me: the lamp-house has three lighting mode: low,
high, and white, i've already known that the low mode used to retracts
some light from the lamp, but i've not managed to figure out what's the
difference between high mode and white mode. i noticed there is not
light changing when i switched the between the two modes.

last, the enlarger comes with a negative carrier which has an opening
sized of 6.8x5.5cm, what kind of film it is for?

thank you very much.

-
woody

Old June 18th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Steven Woody" wrote in message
1, Omega D5-XL 4x5 enlarger, 80mm lens, 35mm negative, 8x10 print size
2, enlarger head was set to about 42cm
3, lens apperture was set to f/11
4. developed 1.5 min in D-72 1:2 solution

additional information:

5, that's a color printer with FUJI 250w/24v lamp

What 'that' is it that is the that that is referred to?

Old June 18th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Steven Woody" wrote in message
1, Omega D5-XL 4x5 enlarger, 80mm lens, 35mm negative, 8x10 print size
2, enlarger head was set to about 42cm
3, lens apperture was set to f/11
4. developed 1.5 min in D-72 1:2 solution

additional information:

5, that's a color printer with FUJI 250w/24v lamp

What 'that' is it that is the that that is referred to?

Nicholas,

'that' refers to the D5-XL enlarger.

-
woody

Old June 18th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article .com,
"Steven Woody" wrote:

yesterday night, i did my first printing, that's a test strip using a
blank negative, i want to see how many seconds of exposure i at lest
need to get the papaer's maximum black exposure. but, even i exposed
about 30s, the maximum dark part of the result is merely gray, it means
30s is not enough! before i change the time and experiment again, i
want to ask, is it normal? i just need to mark sure there is nothing
wroing. below are some relative info about the printing:

1, Omega D5-XL 4x5 enlarger, 80mm lens, 35mm negative, 8x10 print size
2, enlarger head was set to about 42cm
3, lens apperture was set to f/11
4. developed 1.5 min in D-72 1:2 solution

thanks in advance.

-
woody

Try opening up to f'8 then the print time will be 15 seconds, or around
20-25 for a more dense print.
--
The sometimes insomniac.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old June 18th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Greg "_" wrote:
In article .com,
"Steven Woody" wrote:

[...]

thanks for the sugestion. do you get any idea of how much difference
on exposure time will be produced for one stop difference on len
apperture? and, because people say that f'11 produces better image
quality than f'8, so should i use f'11 to get the quality but sacrifice
exposure time? is ther any other drawbacks other than time wasting?

sorry for such many questions.

-
woody

Old June 18th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Steven Woody spake thus:

Greg "_" wrote:

In article .com,
"Steven Woody" wrote:

[...]

It's not a matter of "any idea": the difference in exposure time of a
one-stop difference is *exactly* double (or half).

f/11 doesn't produce "better image quality" than f/8, necessarily. The
smaller aperture does increase depth of focus, which means less chance
of parts of the image being out of focus, but other than this, there's
no better quality. f/8 may actually be better in some lenses.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old June 19th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Steven Woody wrote:

yesterday night, i did my first printing, that's a test strip
using a blank negative ...

If you film strip your 35mm center the clear area twixt
two frames in the carrier. That way you'll have some of two
frames print plus the clear area. A comparison can then be
made twixt your max black and what to expect of that
amount of exposure when making some actual prints.
Likely you'll find a max black that is more or less black
than needed. A change in contrast or some other method
may be needed to place all the grays to their
proper density. Dan