question for Pat Gainer

Old September 30th 04, 01:15 PM
LR Kalajainen

Default question for Pat Gainer

Pat,

I've been experimenting a bit trying to concoct a good Phenidone/Vitamin
C paper developer that I can use with my divided development technique
(all the carbonate in Bath B). I'm not having much luck-- what I get is
very low contrast results. Even when I add in some Hydroquinone, the
situation improves somewhat, but the results are still pretty flat. Can
you suggest a formula?

I tried making the Bath A with similar proportions to the film developer
I use regularly, but tripling the amounts of Phenidone and Vitamin C to
make a stronger concentration. I kept the proportions of one to the
other the same as the film developer.

Larry
Old September 30th 04, 06:51 PM
Jordan Wosnick

Larry,

I'm not Pat, but I've chatted recently with him about this very
topic, and tried it a couple of years ago. I got bad results,
like you (in my case it was completely blank film). For a divided
developer to work, you need efficient take-up of developing
agents into the emulsion in the first bath, followed by
activation of those agents in the second. I think that sulfite
plays a big role in the first process and that it is the lack of
sulfite in Pat's developer that makes it unsuitable for straight
conversion to a two-bath developer. I've meant to (but haven't
yet got around to) adding a couple of teaspoons of sulfite to the
first bath to see if it improves matters at all. Another idea
might be to use a very warm first bath to promote take-up of the
soup, but this would likely cause other problems as well.

Jordan

Old September 30th 04, 10:02 PM
Uranium Committee

LR Kalajainen wrote in message ...
Pat,

I've been experimenting a bit trying to concoct a good Phenidone/Vitamin
C paper developer that I can use with my divided development technique
(all the carbonate in Bath B).

Why? Divided development is tricky at best, and works best with metol.

Old October 1st 04, 10:35 AM
Dan Quinn

LR Kalajainen wrote

I've been experimenting a bit trying to concoct a good Phenidone/Vitamin
C paper developer that I can use with my divided development technique
(all the carbonate in Bath B). I'm not having much luck-- what I get is
very low contrast results. Even when I add in some Hydroquinone, the
situation improves somewhat, but the results are still pretty flat. Can
you suggest a formula?

I tried making the Bath A with similar proportions to the film developer
I use regularly, but tripling the amounts of Phenidone and Vitamin C to
make a stronger concentration. I kept the proportions of one to the
other the same as the film developer.

Two or three thoughts: nothing will preserve V-C in an alkaline
solution, a lot of surface area, not much V-C.
Based on my quantitative work with metol and assuming 1/10th the
amount of phenidone will do as well, I suggest .025gr in 250ml
of water. That is for one 8x10. Use varying amounts of V-C and
test. Mix just prior to use; of course one-shot. Dan
Old October 1st 04, 10:07 PM
LR Kalajainen

LR Kalajainen wrote:

Pat,

I've been experimenting a bit trying to concoct a good
Phenidone/Vitamin C paper developer that I can use with my divided
development technique (all the carbonate in Bath B). I'm not having
much luck-- what I get is very low contrast results. Even when I add
in some Hydroquinone, the situation improves somewhat, but the results
are still pretty flat. Can you suggest a formula?

I tried making the Bath A with similar proportions to the film
developer I use regularly, but tripling the amounts of Phenidone and
Vitamin C to make a stronger concentration. I kept the proportions of
one to the other the same as the film developer.

Larry

Thanks, Jordan,

This may be the clue I need.

I used to use a divided developer (Phenidone based) for
Ciba/Ilfochromes, and as I recall, it did have some sulfite in it, but
no Hydroquinone in order to control contrast with Cibas.
Old October 1st 04, 10:11 PM
LR Kalajainen

Uranium Committee wrote:

LR Kalajainen wrote in message ...

Pat,

I've been experimenting a bit trying to concoct a good Phenidone/Vitamin
C paper developer that I can use with my divided development technique
(all the carbonate in Bath B).

Why? Divided development is tricky at best, and works best with metol.

I'm not having much luck-- what I get is
very low contrast results. Even when I add in some Hydroquinone, the
situation improves somewhat, but the results are still pretty flat. Can
you suggest a formula?

I tried making the Bath A with similar proportions to the film developer
I use regularly, but tripling the amounts of Phenidone and Vitamin C to
make a stronger concentration. I kept the proportions of one to the
other the same as the film developer.

Larry

First, the why. Because Phenidone/Vit C is less toxic than Metol, and
since I use it for film, I thought perhaps I could try it with paper.

Second, I don't find divided development tricky at all. My regular
Metol-based formula has worked flawlessly for years. In fact, it's just
the opposite of tricky--absolutely reliable and predictable with almost
no variation between one print and another. Which is why I have stuck
with it for so long.

I used to use a Phenidone-based divided developer (also with good
results) with Cibachrome/Ilfochromes as a method of contrast control,
but without Hydroquinone. It did, however, have sulfite, and Jordan's
reply may be the clue I'm looking for. I was trying to leave out the
sulfite as I do with my film developer.
Old October 2nd 04, 08:15 AM
Claudio Bonavolta

"LR Kalajainen" wrote in message
I used to use a Phenidone-based divided developer (also with good
results) with Cibachrome/Ilfochromes as a method of contrast control,
but without Hydroquinone. It did, however, have sulfite, and Jordan's
reply may be the clue I'm looking for. I was trying to leave out the
sulfite as I do with my film developer.

Can you publish the formula of the developer you use for Ilfochrome ?
I presume you still use the Ilford bleach ?

Thanks,
--
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old October 2nd 04, 12:35 PM
LR Kalajainen

Claudio Bonavolta wrote:
"LR Kalajainen" wrote in message

I used to use a Phenidone-based divided developer (also with good
results) with Cibachrome/Ilfochromes as a method of contrast control,
but without Hydroquinone. It did, however, have sulfite, and Jordan's
reply may be the clue I'm looking for. I was trying to leave out the
sulfite as I do with my film developer.

Can you publish the formula of the developer you use for Ilfochrome ?
I presume you still use the Ilford bleach ?

Thanks,

I'll be happy to publish the formulas. I'll have to dig them out
whereever they're hiding in my darkroom. I haven't done any Ilfos for
several years now. When I get back later today, I'll do that.

Larry
Old October 2nd 04, 02:37 PM
Claudio Bonavolta

"LR Kalajainen" wrote in message
Can you publish the formula of the developer you use for Ilfochrome ?
I presume you still use the Ilford bleach ?

Thanks,

I'll be happy to publish the formulas. I'll have to dig them out
whereever they're hiding in my darkroom. I haven't done any Ilfos for
several years now. When I get back later today, I'll do that.

Larry

Thanks Larry, there is no urgency.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch