Agfa BW film expired in 1974; any sugestions how to shoot/process it?

Old February 27th 05, 04:17 AM
Eloman Toeski via PhotoKB.com

Default Agfa BW film expired in 1974; any sugestions how to shoot/process it?

A friend of mine bought a bunch of vintage photographic equipment from
estate sale.
In one of the bags, that he got with it we found this 120 BW film.
It is Agfa Isopan ISS, asa 100; stil in original packaging- looks quite
fresh ; )) I mean the box hasn't even faded and is bright orange. Its
expiration date is Jan '74 : D
I'd like to do some portraiture shots on it.
So, I guess it has lost it's speed, probably a few stops. I'm thinking I
should probably expose it at EI 25 at least, maybe even 15. Than... I guess
I'll put it through Rodinal(?) Not sure what dillusion.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this geriatric emulsion ?!?

Old February 27th 05, 04:43 AM

Eloman Toeski via PhotoKB.com wrote:
A friend of mine bought a bunch of vintage photographic equipment

from
estate sale.
In one of the bags, that he got with it we found this 120 BW film.
It is Agfa Isopan ISS, asa 100; stil in original packaging- looks

quite
fresh ; )) I mean the box hasn't even faded and is bright orange. Its
expiration date is Jan '74 : D
I'd like to do some portraiture shots on it.
So, I guess it has lost it's speed, probably a few stops. I'm

thinking I
should probably expose it at EI 25 at least, maybe even 15. Than... I

guess
I'll put it through Rodinal(?) Not sure what dillusion.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this geriatric emulsion ?!?

Throw it away. Moron.

Old February 27th 05, 05:09 AM
Eloman Toeski via PhotoKB.com

OK. Genius.

Old February 27th 05, 05:09 AM

Old February 27th 05, 09:37 PM

It's bad. Throw the **** away.

Old February 28th 05, 04:52 AM
Robert Vervoordt

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 04:17:14 GMT, "Eloman Toeski via PhotoKB.com"
wrote:

A friend of mine bought a bunch of vintage photographic equipment from
estate sale.
In one of the bags, that he got with it we found this 120 BW film.
It is Agfa Isopan ISS, asa 100; stil in original packaging- looks quite
fresh ; )) I mean the box hasn't even faded and is bright orange. Its
expiration date is Jan '74 : D
I'd like to do some portraiture shots on it.
So, I guess it has lost it's speed, probably a few stops. I'm thinking I
should probably expose it at EI 25 at least, maybe even 15. Than... I guess
I'll put it through Rodinal(?) Not sure what dillusion.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this geriatric emulsion ?!?

Give it a stop more exposure; ASA50. Develop it in Rodinal at
recommended time, temp and dilution. Try the 1:50 first. You should
get somethig useful.

I assume this is just one roll and you're playing around.

Whatever don't listen to the jerk who tells you to throw it out. You
can't learn without experimenting.

Robert Vervoordt, MFA
Old February 28th 05, 03:57 PM

wrote:

[...]

Don't waste time on 30 year-old film. It's bad.

Old February 28th 05, 04:49 PM

wrote:

[...]

I guess that during your courses on your way to that 'MFA' of which you
are so proud, they neglected particle physics. Gamma rays (and other
factors) ruin film over time. That's why there's an expiration date on
the stuff.

Old March 1st 05, 04:53 AM
Michael Weinstein

On 2005-02-26 23:17:14 -0500, "Eloman Toeski via PhotoKB.com"
said:

A friend of mine bought a bunch of vintage photographic equipment from
estate sale.
In one of the bags, that he got with it we found this 120 BW film.
It is Agfa Isopan ISS, asa 100; stil in original packaging- looks quite
fresh ; )) I mean the box hasn't even faded and is bright orange. Its
expiration date is Jan '74 : D
I'd like to do some portraiture shots on it.
So, I guess it has lost it's speed, probably a few stops. I'm thinking I
should probably expose it at EI 25 at least, maybe even 15. Than... I guess
I'll put it through Rodinal(?) Not sure what dillusion.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this geriatric emulsion ?!?

What is the point? There is newer, better, cheaper B&W film that will
give you good images, which this will not. If the box is pretty put it
up on a display shelf or in a shadow box with other vintage stuff.
--
Michael | "You're going to need a bigger boat."

Old March 2nd 05, 08:15 AM
'Process C-22'

Use the film if you want to. We are the experts in this field. We
process all types of antique and outdated film, and our current
overall success rate is 97.8%. We have recovered film from the
1920's, and offer 'old film+dev' packages for students and those who
want to experiment. It CAN work, like it or not. The aim of our
business is disproving the mistaken theory that old film should be
thrown away.

From the professionals who actually DO the job, film from 1974 can be
used and processed if desired, for experimental purposes. In fact,
one of our popular packages for students is E-4 roll film.

I would like to add one further note. We hardly ever post to this
group, even though we could offer a veritable amount of good advice on
film. This is because of those who seek to ruin the experience for
everyone else.

The photographic newsgroups are for those who wish to seek and/or give
useful information on the art and science of the subject, not for
flaming or posting abusive messages to those who want advice.
Traditional photography is sadly in decline and we should not seek to
discourage those who want to try something different. I would ask on
behalf of most of us, that in the future those Posters who cannot say
anything nice or helpful should refrain from saying anything at all.
Please do not ruin this unmoderated group for everyone else.
We all believe in freedom of speech, but not freedom of abuse.

Dominic Roberts, proprietor
Process C-22

info 'at' processc22.co.uk