The performance of CF card

Old November 23rd 04, 09:51 PM
David Zou

Default The performance of CF card

Hi:

Do the speed of the card contribute significantly to the response of the
camera? Say 300D/DRebel

Does the 8X, 13X card severely decrease the speed of the camera?

Anyway I would expect there is a saturation...i.e. the 40X performs
similarly to 80X...

Cheers

Old November 23rd 04, 11:25 PM
PDW

"David Zou" wrote in message
Hi:

Do the speed of the card contribute significantly to the response of the
camera? Say 300D/DRebel

Does the 8X, 13X card severely decrease the speed of the camera?

Anyway I would expect there is a saturation...i.e. the 40X performs
similarly to 80X...

Cheers

I have both and have not notices 'That much' the buffer gives you 4 shots on
the 300D so while you take one then others are writing. Have only had to
wait a few times for things to clear down. You also get a counter in the
viewfinder telling you how many shots you have free in the buffer.
Obviously shooting RAW makes a BIG difference!

PDW

Old November 24th 04, 03:57 AM
David H. Lipman

You will notice the difference in three fashions.
1 how long it takes to write a large RAW file.
2 how long it takes when you take successive shots
3 when transferring all the shots (JPEGS or RAW) to the computer.

I personally would go for the faster cards. The latest are the 80x. I use SanDisk Ultra II
which are 60x.

I also suggest a USB v2.0 CF Memory Card Reader to download the pictures from card to the
PC. Don't connect the camera to the PC. There really isn't a need and you will be able to
download the pictures at the fastest speed the card can handle. So if you choose 80x speed
CF cards and a USB v2.0 reader, it won't take as long. For example, of it took 8 minutes
with a 8x card, it would only take 1 minute with an 80x card.

Dave

Old November 25th 04, 04:05 AM
Ken Ellis

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:51:36 -0000, "David Zou"
wrote:

Hi:

Do the speed of the card contribute significantly to the response of the
camera? Say 300D/DRebel

Does the 8X, 13X card severely decrease the speed of the camera?

Anyway I would expect there is a saturation...i.e. the 40X performs
similarly to 80X...

Cheers

If my memeory serves me well (no pun intended) on dpreveiw theres a
section on the camera revdeiw that speaks to this extensively. I know
the 20d reveiw did....which pointed to the 1gig (i beleive sandisk) as
being the sweet point for data transfer speeds and file size..eg the
next smaller and the larger card were slower for that cam....i'd check
it out. Saw few web sites that reveiw cards too. google it up.

rgds

Ken