Flash units for canon 300d

Old November 24th 04, 11:33 PM
Hank

Default Flash units for canon 300d

I have a canon dreble and considering an external flash unit. Are there
recommendations for non canon uinits?

Hank

Old November 25th 04, 12:54 AM
YAG-ART

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:33:16 -0500, "Hank" wrote:

I have a canon dreble and considering an external flash unit. Are there
recommendations for non canon uinits?

Why, don't you like the Canon ones? Metz makes some good shoe mount
uints.
Old November 25th 04, 01:04 AM
Hank

"YAG-ART" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:33:16 -0500, "Hank" wrote:

I have a canon dreble and considering an external flash unit. Are there
recommendations for non canon uinits?

Why, don't you like the Canon ones? Metz makes some good shoe mount
uints.

Thinking of cost I guess and looking at options.

Old November 25th 04, 02:38 AM
YAG-ART

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:04:56 -0500, "Hank" wrote:

"YAG-ART" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:33:16 -0500, "Hank" wrote:

I have a canon dreble and considering an external flash unit. Are there
recommendations for non canon uinits?

Why, don't you like the Canon ones? Metz makes some good shoe mount
uints.

Thinking of cost I guess and looking at options.

I used to own a Sunpak PZ400AF (now the 5000 I think). It was ok, but
when I needed more from a flash I bought the 550EX.

Old November 25th 04, 12:31 PM
Hank

"Gisle Hannemyr" wrote in message
"Hank" writes:
I have a canon dreble and considering an external flash unit. Are
there recommendations for non canon uinits?

Here is a list of the flash guns I am aware of that are E-TTL-compa-
tible (sort off),

In addition to Canon's own models, I've listed some third party flash
guns claimed by their manufacturer to be "Canon digital" compatible.
These third party guns use reverse engineered interfaces for E-TTL
compatibility. The Sigma 500 DG Super has a fair reputation for E-TTL
compatibility, the Metz models have received more mixed reviews in
this area, but make up for this by having an excellent auto mode. The
Sunpak. Promaster and Quantum are new entries, and I've haven't seen
any reports on their compatibility yet.

The Sigma and all the Canons except the 220 EX and 380 EX can be used
in a infrared wireless (w/l) master/slave setup (the 420 EX as slave
only) and are compatible with the wireless transmitter ST-E2.

Model GN Notes
1. Canon 220 EX (22) No tilt/swivel
2. Canon 380 EX (33) No swivel (discontinued 2001)
3 Sunpak PZ40X (40) Rev. eng E-TTL. Also power ratio.
4. Promaster 7500DX (42) Rev. eng E-TTL. Also auto.
5. Canon 420 EX (42) W/l slave.
6. Metz 44 AF-4C (44) Rev. eng E-TTL. Also auto.
7. Quantum Qflash T4d (49) Rev. eng E-TTL. Also power ratio.
8. Sigma 500 DG Super (50) W/l master + slave. Rev. eng.
9. Metz 54 MZ-4C (54) Rev. eng E-TTL. Also auto.
10. Canon 550 EX (55) W/l master + slave
11. Canon 580 EX (58) W/l master + slave
Models are sorted by maximum guide number (in meters, for ISO 100).
For technical details, see the manufacturers' specification sheets.

Alternatively, for variable power output, you may buy a non E-TTL
«auto» flashgun (like the Vivitar 283, GN 37). This will work fine
on all Canon's digicams. You set up the camera in aperture priority
mode, set the aperture you use on the flash, and let the flashgun
control the exposure.

If you don't want to spend the $180 a Speedlite 420EX will cost
you, a Vivitar 283 cost only about $67. I would not recommend
to get a unit with less power than the Vivitar (GN 120ft/37m)
if you want an useable bounce.

A good tutorial on using flash is on:
http://www.camerahobby.com/Ebook-Fla...hapter9Sub.htm

When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?

Excellent information. Many thanks

hank

Old November 25th 04, 01:11 PM
Ken Ellis

On 25 Nov 2004 09:25:42 +0100, Gisle Hannemyr
wrote:

"Hank" writes:
I have a canon dreble and considering an external flash unit.

...etc

Nice one.

rgds

Ken