Bellows tapes ????

Old March 28th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bogdan Karasek

Default Bellows tapes ????

Hi,

I have a Calumet Orbit and it is missing those gizmos which resemble
little 1 inch long tapes with a D ring at the end that are glued to the
bellows and enable you to take in the bellows so that it doesn't sag
when you are using a short bellows draw.

What those gizmos called and where can I get them? If not what can I
make them out of and what kind of glue do I use to glue the tapes to the
bellows?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
Bogdan
Bogdan Karasek
Montréal, Québec e-mail:
Canada

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"
"What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence"
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Old March 28th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Draco

On Mar 28, 7:08 am, Bogdan Karasek wrote:
Hi,

I have a Calumet Orbit and it is missing those gizmos which resemble
little 1 inch long tapes with a D ring at the end that are glued to the
bellows and enable you to take in the bellows so that it doesn't sag
when you are using a short bellows draw.

What those gizmos called and where can I get them? If not what can I
make them out of and what kind of glue do I use to glue the tapes to the
bellows?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
Bogdan
Bogdan Karasek
Montréal, Québec e-mail:
Canada

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"
"What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence"
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Any piece of cloth, leather, what ever will do the job of the bellows
strap, To attach use either contact cement or rubber glue and follow
the instructions. The D-ring get from a hardware shop or even a
locksmith shop.

Good luck,

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Being better does.

Old April 1st 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

Bellows is more likely to sag when using a long bellows
draw, Calumet actually made three(?) different Orbit models
with different monorail and bellow lengths, you can probably
pick up a used orbit for less that a replacement bellows for
the "system" cameras, for occasional use I would just prop
up the bellows from below after I set the shot up.
darkroommike

Old April 1st 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Bogdan Karasek" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I have a Calumet Orbit and it is missing those gizmos
which resemble little 1 inch long tapes with a D ring at
the end that are glued to the bellows and enable you to
take in the bellows so that it doesn't sag when you are
using a short bellows draw.

What those gizmos called and where can I get them? If not
what can I make them out of and what kind of glue do I use
to glue the tapes to the bellows?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
Bogdan
Bogdan Karasek
Montréal, Québec e-mail:

Canada

I replaced the bellows on my Calumet C-1 some years ago
with a new one bought from Calumet. It came with one bellows
strap in the form of the same cloth the outer bellows
covering was made of. I used the old D ring. The strap had
some sort of adhesive on it. The same for the replacement
bellows I got for my ancient Agfa 8x10, the strap was just a
strip of cloth. A good place to try for the ring is a tack
shop, i.e., a place that sells stuff for horses. Also, try
Tandy Leather, they have all sorts of rings and buckles.
The straps are used either to pull the bellows up if
they sag or, if you are using a long bellows draw, run a rod
of some sort through the ring and let it sit on the top of
the camera frames.
Probaby the best stuff to stick the strap itself
together with and to mount it is contact cement like
Pliobond or Barge Cement.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 2nd 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Richard Knoppow" wrote

A good place to try for the ring is a tack shop, i.e., a place that sells
stuff for horses.

If you don't mind a stainless steel ring
'Split rings' - or key rings - are available
at most hardware stores and come in a range
of sizes.

The small ones are good for replacing camera
strap rings on 35mm cameras. 25 cents at
the hardware store, $2.50 at the camera store.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old April 4th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

I always carry a couple of spare split rings on my keychain,
had one break on a friends camera out in the boonies one
time, also have a small led flashlight and a pc tip
conditioner on the same set of keys.
darkroommike

"Richard Knoppow" wrote

Old April 11th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
marika

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote in message ...
"Richard Knoppow" wrote

A good place to try for the ring is a tack shop, i.e., a place that sells
stuff for horses.

If you don't mind a stainless steel ring
'Split rings' - or key rings - are available
at most hardware stores and come in a range
of sizes.

The small ones are good for replacing camera
strap rings on 35mm cameras. 25 cents at
the hardware store, $2.50 at the camera store.

a young lady I used to sit for has been pursued by Japanese photographers.
Her sister sent these things published in Japanese magazines. Pretty neat,
eh?

It's apparently the Japanese version of Elle magazine.
And she's got a huge spread